un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
@dthatcher7
@josby

Imagine, that the EU Civic will brake if you exceed the preset ACC speed. Imagine going downhill with a speed preset to 100 km/h. The car is gaining speed (because of going downhill) and you are reaching 101 km/h. Nothing happens yet, but once it reaches 102 km/h, it applies the brake (brake lights are on as well in the rear) and decreases the speed to 100-101 km/h... But you are still going down hill so after a short while, your car reaches 102 km/h again and applies the brakes once more, until it reaches 100-101 km/h.. And again, again, again...

That is why I hate this dam ACC in European civic. I love the car detection part and applying brakes once it detects obstacle in front, but I don't want it to brake once we are going faster than the preset speed. I want it to cut off throttle and just let her roll...

@ResortCasual

The car will not apply brakes if you exceed the ACC speed on purpose, i.e. when you apply the gas pedal. It will only brake automatically if the excessive speed is the result of for example going downhill and not as a result of user input.
Sponsored

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
@dthatcher7
@josby

Imagine, that the EU Civic will brake if you exceed the preset ACC speed. Imagine going downhill with a speed preset to 100 km/h. The car is gaining speed (because of going downhill) and you are reaching 101 km/h. Nothing happens yet, but once it reaches 102 km/h, it applies the brake (brake lights are on as well in the rear) and decreases the speed to 100-101 km/h... But you are still going down hill so after a short while, your car reaches 102 km/h again and applies the brakes once more, until it reaches 100-101 km/h.. And again, again, again...

That is why I hate this dam ACC in European civic. I love the car detection part and applying brakes once it detects obstacle in front, but I don't want it to brake once we are going faster than the preset speed. I want it to cut off throttle and just let her roll...

@ResortCasual

The car will not apply brakes if you exceed the ACC speed on purpose, i.e. when you apply the gas pedal. It will only brake automatically if the excessive speed is the result of for example going downhill and not as a result of user input.
Gotcha.

Is there a cruise control system out there that is "smart enough" to know when you might want it to say "f it, just roll instead of braking". I am not sure how the car would know when you might want to do that and when you might not want to do that.

There would have to be some "allow me to exceed set speed when not accelerating" setting / toggle / override - which again seems counter intuitive to what cruise control is really supposed to do. The basic definition of cruise control is to maintain one's speed.

And lets face it, there are times where using cruise control doesn't make a lot of sense. Perhaps going down "steep" hills is one of them. In that sense, I don't see any difference between the European and US ACC systems. I'd have the same problem as you with my US ACC system - even through I can disable the ACC part of it.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
On my commute I turn on ACC and am often switching up following distance, cancelling and then resuming, or accelerating past the set speed to pass and then letting ACC take over again once I've passed. It's like the computer and I are working together.
The only time I really set-and-forget ACC is when I am cruising a fair distance down the same highway with no major traffic.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I don't use the ACC regularly but when I tried it, I noticed that once a slower car is detected in front, it will obviously slow the Civic but depending of the braking force required, it doesn't always use the physical brakes. Sometimes, it will use the transmission (like in S or L mode) to slow the car down.

It's possible to notice it when using ACC at night and feeling a small deceleration but not seeing the center brake light being illuminated.

MTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 RDX, 17 MDX
I think you have to disable the ACC while the cruise is actually in operation. Press and hold the distance button while the cruise is in use out on the highway. Thats how it works in my Acura.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you have to disable the ACC while the cruise is actually in operation. Press and hold the distance button while the cruise is in use out on the highway. Thats how it works in my Acura.
Not possible on the Euro Civic, already tried that ;)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I can't switch ACC to simple Standard CC on my 2018 Civic Hatchback following the instructions in the manuals.

My car is the US version and the manuals I read are for the US and Canada 2018 Civic hatchbacks. The actually printed (in the UK) hardcopy Owner's Guide that came with the car and the "printed in U.S.A." pdf Owner's Manual file both say that you switch ACC to SCC by holding the interval button (for only one second according to the Owner's Manual). All I get it changing the follow distance. Either there is some trick to do it or the manuals lie.

Anyone managed to switch to Standard CC in the hatchback?

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I was able to switch it in my hatch. I don't remember which button I used, but I think I had to hold it for longer than a second.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
I have no idea. To be honest, I am not sure why so many minor differences between European and US cars in the first place. Anyway, thanks for the help all.

Looks like I am stuck with the damn ACC which is really annoying and brakes too much... If I could only disable one of the ACC features, which is braking when exceeding preset speed... I would be happy then!
while I don't have a European civic, mine really doesn't brake if the speed goes over the ACC set speed. it seems to only do this if there is a car in front of me.

turbowhistle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring SGP 6MT
I can't switch ACC to simple Standard CC on my 2018 Civic Hatchback following the instructions in the manuals.

My car is the US version and the manuals I read are for the US and Canada 2018 Civic hatchbacks. The actually printed (in the UK) hardcopy Owner's Guide that came with the car and the "printed in U.S.A." pdf Owner's Manual file both say that you switch ACC to SCC by holding the interval button (for only one second according to the Owner's Manual). All I get it changing the follow distance. Either there is some trick to do it or the manuals lie.

Anyone managed to switch to Standard CC in the hatchback?
I have to cancel the cruise control first , then press and hold the lane interval button(for longer than a second) then the system beeps and changes modes. What MTD said:)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have to cancel the cruise control first , then press and hold the lane interval button(for longer than a second) then the system beeps and changes modes. What MTD said:)
It seems like opposite to what MTD said... but I have a feeling this will work for me. I only tried (unsuccessfully) while ACC was in operation, and of course I tried from short to very long holding.
Will try next time I cruise.
Sponsored