How much actual improvement with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S over Pilot Sport All Season 4

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
It's a 2019 Civic Si with the Hondata high PSI tune. It currently has the All Season 4 tires and I of course spin the wheels easily in second and they'll also spin sometimes in third. I realistically only do spirited driving like 5% of the time and the All Season 4 tires will likely last double the miles. I do sometimes (like 6 times a year) go into cold whether where there could be very mild ice. Anything serious will require chains. It does rain some for a few months but not enough to merit All Seasons for that alone.

So, I'm debating how much actual performance improvement I'll see with the Pilot Sport 4S over All Season 4 with all of the trade offs I'm making in the name of performnce.
Sponsored

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
It's a 2019 Civic Si with the Hondata high PSI tune. It currently has the All Season 4 tires and I of course spin the wheels easily in second and they'll also spin sometimes in third. I realistically only do spirited driving like 5% of the time and the All Season 4 tires will likely last double the miles. I do sometimes (like 6 times a year) go into cold weather where there could be very mild ice. Anything serious will require chains. It does rain some for a few months but not enough to merit All Seasons for that alone.

So, I'm debating how much actual performance improvement I'll see with the Pilot Sport 4S over All Season 4 with all of the trade offs I'm making in the name of performnce.
it really what you are going for. If you want some light track day I think 4s would be good. I do find there prices to be to high. I run them on my m3 but for my civic I been running more of a mid level brand. I run 4s equivalent thinking I will track it more but in reality just changing my tires more often. Only you really know what you need.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I had AS3+s on my 2017 Civic Sport hatch, was not impressed. They sucked in snow too, just compromised like all all-seasons.

Also summer tires are generally great in rain cause the stiff sidewall helps channel water. All seasons aren't better in rain. The benefit is in cold weather - at freezing or below a summer tire gets pretty slippery, but still driveable.

OP
OP

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
I've only had the Civic less than a year and so I don't really feel like I'd know whether it's worth it to me until I've tried both side by side. Which just isn't happening. I've driven it quite a bit in that time though, so I'm leaning towards the 4S just to see how they are.

The other factor is that I'm tempted to sell soon but I'm trying to resist. That makes me want to spend 1k+ on tires less. Realistically I could get a pair of the all seasons and that would be good enough to sell it. They'd be 4 matching tires.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Sidewalls on the 4S should be stiffer, compound is definitely softer so it will grip better. How much better? Not 100% certain. They get a lot of good reviews and everyone seems to like them a lot though. Since theyre a summer tire, you should avoid driving them in too cold of weather frequently. And anything like snow and ice are definitely a no go for summer tires.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The All Season 4 is a better tire than an all-season 540 treadwear tire has any right to be.

OP
OP

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
The All Season 4 is a better tire than an all-season 540 treadwear tire has any right to be.
I agree and this is what I’ve read too, which is why I’m wondering how much better the 4S is for acceleration and handling on this car assuming it’s stock with just my tune.

OP
OP

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered the Pilot Sport 4S tires and I'm having them put on later today. I'm quite excited to see how much of a difference this makes in subjective real world street driving.

I really can't remember the last time I had the opportunity to upgrade the entire performance category of the tires on a car. It must be at least a decade. It seems like everything has already came with max performance tires. I will be sure to report back.

Last edited:

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
I agree and this is what I’ve read too, which is why I’m wondering how much better the 4S is for acceleration and handling on this car assuming it’s stock with just my tune.
I have PS4S on my Si with the TSP stage 1. It has high limits in the corners, and the sidewalls are definitely stiffer than something like an Indy 500 (have them on my other car). But I wouldn't say it compromises comfort.

1st gear is still spin city (even with BBG limited to 14 PSI), 2nd gear can spin a bit, but will hook up pretty good. I've never gotten wheelspin in third with these tires. Mind you, mine are almost 5 years old now, so a fresh pair will probably be even stickier.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered the Pilot Sport 4S tires and I'm having them put on later today. I'm quite excited to see how much of a difference this makes in subjective real world street driving.

I really can't remember the last time I had the opportunity to upgrade the entire performance category of the tires on a car. It must be at least a decade. It seems like everything has already came with max performance tires. I will be sure to report back.
I would be interested to hear your comparison after you have some miles on them. I have the AS4 on my car now. I was going to do the PS4s but they were out of stock when I needed tires. I took it as a sign and told myself I'd do the PS4s next time. That was September 2020. The Michelins have jumped way up in price even since then.

OP
OP

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
I would be interested to hear your comparison after you have some miles on them.
I'll probably report back here as soon as they're broken in just with my first impression on how well they do accelerating through second and third. Possibly an entirely separate thread with a full comparison if I actually have enough things to say about it.

OP
OP

null

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Country flag
Alright, so here's a quick update with tires on. I know tires are the biggest upgrade you can do to a car. I know this. I've told people this as advice before, lol. I had high hopes and I'm even still thrilled with how huge of an improvement it is.

The Straight Line: This is all in 55 degree weather, completely dry ground but it rained recently (just for conditions where Im comparing the two). I only drove it for 15-20 minutes right now after picking it up and I realize the tires aren't broken in yet, but it pulls all the way through second gear without spinning at all even with this Hondata +9 PSI tune where before it was just lighting up the tires in second. It actually makes me want to add power again maybe (how much does it cost to replace and upgrade my clutch?).

The Turns: I also took it through a nice empty curvy section with those yellow curve speed signs showing 25-40 to give you a sense of what I'm driving on. It feels like a totally different car. Before when pushing it at all around a corner the feel of the car would constantly be yelling at me that it was front wheel drive with how it clearly felt like the limiting factor was the front and it wanting to understeer. Now, from the limited driving I've done, it doesn't feel that way in the slightest. I'm imaging if I get close to the limits it will have a similar feeling, I'm just able to push it through corners so much faster that I'm not approaching the limit of the tires so the car isn't communicating out that it's front wheels are struggling to hold on so easily. I can't wait until I have some time to take the car out to the Canyons now to see how it does.

But seriously, is it normal for these tires to be able to put the power down on that +9 PSI tune without wheel-spin?

Last edited:

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is probably the reason I haven't tried to put all seasons on my car even though I daily it. 300+ hp/tq and I can light it up in first/second gear on demand, so if I did go to all seasons, it wouldn't be very much fun. Corners are where these cars truly shine.

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm having the Pilot Sport AS tires installed tomorrow. Can't wait to get off of the stock Goodyear's.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
I've had multiple cars with PS4's, and certainly have nothing but good things to say about them. I've also fairly extensively driven a car with Pilot Sport All Seasons. I;ve found a better tire choice than either for most purposes and have them on not only my Type R, but also just put them on my Jaguar F-Type R, in early November. They are the simply outstanding Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS. These were recommended to be by several other members of the forum who replaced their P4s previously on their Type R's, with them and were thrilled with the performance.

Not only is the grip in the dry at least 90% of that of the P4s, but they are much better in the wet, and can even handle snow up to a few inches very effectively. They can also be safely and effectively driven in all temperatures. P4s are not rated for safely driving much below 40 degrees.

The only place the P4's would have any edge is pure track driving. On the street, the two are so close, even when pushed hard, that it's amazing. I am amazed that Continental has pulled this off.
Sponsored