How do you rate the available Type-R intakes?

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It’s $695 for the flash pro and $250 for them to jailbreak it. Not sure about k tuner.
Sponsored

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
From 1-10, I rate my Mishimoto with 8. This grade due to leave some window open to other brands.

Why that number:
-Research done.
-Finish.
-Surface- this allow to play with some added insulation.

What can be bettered: perhaps weight without touch the $1K, that for turbo cars, an intake does not too much and it is just for the looks, aside from that, really solid product :thumbsup:

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think at the moment the Eventuri is the best (and most expensive) because it has a secondary inlet which provides extra air....
Why you think they are the best? Because becasue of the power gains hype they claim?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There are not enough gains to justify spending 1000+ on an intake. The only reason to get those would be to make your engine bay look pretty with carbon fiber. The eventuri has a second inlet but to take full advantage of it you would need a tune. But not sure if the gains would still outweigh the price tag.
Unless people look for looks and sound, performance wise Intakes are not worthy. Ive seen Type R's putting down the same amount of power on the stock box with drop in filter vs any aftermarket intakes.

dennyschulz

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Intakes make power just not that much to really notice it. I currently run a PRL intake tube and a drop in filter. My car dynoed 286whp and 271 tq with nothing done. After i installed a Hondata base flash with no tuning and the car made 331whp and 361 tq and yes at the time the filter was on but no tube.

20180824_125844-1164x873.jpg

Which Hondata Flash did you use??? Just one of their base map calibrations???
How did the car drive afterwards???

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Which Hondata Flash did you use??? Just one of their base map calibrations???
How did the car drive afterwards???
This is the 93 octane baseflash that comes with Hondata. This is not a Custom tune because i cant find a tuner in South Alabama. The tune has been on the car since last August. The numbers came from a Dynocom AWD dyno at Emerald Coast Motorsports.

toyrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 HR-V, 1995 Toyota Supra TT, 94 K_Del Sol, 94 K20 Turbo EG, 2000 Honda Insight
Country flag
Stock intake is the best intake :thumbsup:

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
with money not being an issue, i'd get an eventuri just because it has the secondary inlet.
Like if the second inlet give the car more power. Explain how the factory airbox put down the same amount of power than the all praised eventuri intake when tuned. Every company will have a motive why you need to buy their intake. Power numbers dont lie.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Like if the second inlet give the car more power. Explain how the factory airbox put down the same amount of power than the all praised eventuri intake when tuned. Every company will have a motive why you to buy their intake. Power numbers dont lie.
well, imo that second air inlet isn't really doing anything on a dyno.
You can't really mimic the amount of air at speed vs stand still with a fan facing the car. (well maybe with a big enough fan lol)
You'd really have to have data logs to see if that second air inlet really does drop IATs faster than just stock.

fyi, i don't rock an eventuri intake nor do i care to spend $1500 intake lol. I have better stuff to spend money on than a $1500 intake. Just posting my opinion on what i think is the best.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
well, imo that second air inlet isn't really doing anything on a dyno.
You can't really mimic the amount of air at speed vs stand still with a fan facing the car. (well maybe with a big enough fan lol)
You'd really have to have data logs to see if that second air inlet really does drop IATs faster than just stock.

fyi, i don't rock an eventuri intake nor do i care to spend $1500 on an intake lol. I have better stuff to spend money on than an intake. Just posting my opinion on what i think is the best.
No worries man just discussing the subject. I like how the eventuri intake looks. Always wanted one but after seeing that intake gains on this car are marginal compared to the stock airbox with drop in I gave up. I prefer a cheaper intake just for sound sake. I had the pipercross filter when I bought the car, then got the mishimoto and sold it because wanted to try something different. I was expecting to lose power when I switch to the stock airbox with prl stage 1 intake. No power loss. I agree logs should tell but remember the one doing the hardwork to cool the aircharge that goes to the engine is the intercooler not the intake.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
No worries man just discussing the subject. I like how the eventuri intake looks. Always wanted one but after seeing that intake gains on this car are marginal compared to the stock airbox with drop in I gave up. I prefer a cheaper intake just for sound sake. I had the pipercross filter when I bought the car, then got the mishimoto and sold it because wanted to try something different. I was expecting to lose power when I switch to the stock airbox with prl stage 1 intake. No power loss. I agree logs should tell but remember the one doing the hardwork to cool the aircharge that goes to the engine is the intercooler not the intake.
I mean, if i had the disposable cash, i wouldn't mind the eventuri lol. I just think you can't really get an accurate figures for the additional inlet when your at a standstill on a dyno.
The amount of air at like 90 mph is much more than a fan at most dyno shops. It can't HURT the IAT, that's for sure lol.

It's just unfortunate cause noone with one has ever posted a datalog. I just don't think many people here bothers to datalog stuff ... or just don't want to share the information in general.

Yeah i agree with you on the intercooler doing most of the job. But you can always see if the IAT2 figure drops much faster or not. Even with an aftermarket intercooler, i'm a believer of a lower IAT2 is a lower IAT1.
The turbo cars always get split into two types of people. People who believe a cooler intake charge matters, and people who believe IAT2 figures don't matter because the turbo heats it up and if you have an efficient enough intercooler, it cools down the charge anyways.
My first intake was an injen and god the IATs were just horrific even with the PRL intercooler.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I mean, if i had the disposable cash, i wouldn't mind the eventuri lol. I just think you can't really get an accurate figures for the additional inlet when your at a standstill on a dyno.
The amount of air at like 90 mph is much more than a fan at most dyno shops. It can't HURT the IAT, that's for sure lol.

It's just unfortunate cause noone with one has ever posted a datalog. I just don't think many people here bothers to datalog stuff ... or just don't want to share the information in general.

Yeah i agree with you on the intercooler doing most of the job. But you can always see if the IAT2 figure drops much faster or not. Even with an aftermarket intercooler, i'm a believer of a lower IAT2 is a lower IAT1.
The turbo cars always get split into two types of people. People who believe a cooler intake charge matters, and people who believe IAT2 figures don't matter because the turbo heats it up and if you have an efficient enough intercooler, it cools down the charge anyways.
My first intake was an injen and god the IATs were just horrific even with the PRL intercooler.
List will be long If I had disposable cash lol. Im with you on everything you mentioned and yes lower maf temp equals lower post ic temps. Injen intake I tried to convince myself and waited for people to prove it was worth it. That day never happened.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
List will be long If I had disposable cash lol. Im with you on everything you mentioned and yes lower maf temp equals lower post ic temps. Injen intake I tried to convince myself and waited for people to prove it was worth it. That day never happened.
lol. i've made enough "mistakes" already. I've swapped intakes, exhausts, springs lol. Just decided to get what i really wait for more options and get what I really want before I end up losing more money by buying and selling.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't speak for the other intakes on the market, but I absolutely love my AEM intake. The sounds make the driving experience even better :)
Sponsored