How do you rate the available Type-R intakes?

Asimabbas

First Name
Asim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 1.5 turbo
Country flag
I am using mishimoto and results are quite satisfied
Sponsored

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Our intake will not have a CARB legal certification
Can I ask why not? Is the certification process too expensive? Last I heard getting the EO sticker wasn't that big of a deal...just a matter of submitting some paperwork

ROCKGT

First Name
ROQUE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VIPER, ZR1, FGT, 4C, GT500
Country flag
Question:
I have a PRL intake system on my R and was wondering if the blue air filter it comes with is the same as K&N air filter ?
Would it be beneficial to swap K&N for the blue (PRL) for power or sound ?

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Question:
I have a PRL intake system on my R and was wondering if the blue air filter it comes with is the same as K&N air filter ?
Would it be beneficial to swap K&N for the blue (PRL) for power or sound ?
It's pretty much the same filter just made by Green Filters. You wouldn't notice any difference.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Mishimoto is the best, change my mind
I am betting that if anyone ever did a legitimate unbiased side-by-side test, reporting all of the relevant data, and using proper dyno techniques, the Eventuri would prove to be the best. But only by a small amount.

The OEM box is pretty good, with its primary limitation being the size of the inlet feeding the box. All of the air entering the box must pass through the opening in the core support, make a sharp turn, then pass between a duct created by the core support on the bottom and the hood on the top, then make another sharp turn entering the air box. All of this path of flow is where the air box system appears to be truly limited. So all of this effort to make a better-flowing box, filter, tube, etc is going to show limited gains if you don't solve the real limitation of the system.

And none of them currently on the market, other than the Eventuri, do anything to solve the true system limit. No effort has been made to straighten the air flow, increase the cross-section of the duct, or find an additional path for air to enter the box. No one other than Eventuri, that is. That is why my money is on the Eventuri, it is the only one on the market where it looks like the designers actually used an engineering approach to analyze the system limits, define the problem to be solved with an aftermarket box, and then sought a solution to the defined problem. Every other box just looks like something that was made to sell to customers looking to spend money with no concern whether or not it actually accomplished anything. (And there is a whole lot of this going on everywhere in the performance market, especially in CTR world).

Either way, it sure looks like Return-On-Investment (power gained per dollar spent) an intake is about the worst money you can spend on a bolt-on product. Even if the Eventuri makes some actual small measurable gain on power, the ridiculous price still kills it on ROI

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Looking for a huge gain from bolt-ons without a tune is a mistake. What intake does is basically to satisfy our inner “rice” with the induction and blow off noise that it makes. I’ll be happy if I don’t lose power with aftermarket intakes. To make the most gain of these bolt ones, the right way is get a customized tune, not those off the shelf stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 prepackaged tune crap.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Looking for a huge gain from bolt-ons without a tune is a mistake.
Looking for big gains from any intake is a mistake. At least any of the ones on the market now.

What intake does is basically to satisfy our inner “rice” with the induction and blow off noise that it makes.
Not everyone thinks like you. Apparently I have no inner rice since I couldn't care less about that sound.

I’ll be happy if I don’t lose power with aftermarket intakes.
Again, not everyone thinks like you. If the aftermarekt part doesn't improve performance in some fashion, then what is the point?

To make the most gain of these bolt ones, the right way is get a customized tune, not those off the shelf stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 prepackaged tune crap.
Anyone that knows anything about tuning already knows that the only way to maximize performance is to optimize the tune to the particular combo of parts on the car. And not all prepackaged tunes are that bad.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So who is a reputable fk8 tuner? Is ktuner or hondata more prevalent as a tuning platform? I understand hondata is not out w flex fuel tuning yet..
Sponsored