Honda Reveals 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan (205 HP / 192 LB-FT)

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Admittedly, I did not read all forty eight pages of posts. I read that the SI uses the CRV turbo. Is the turbo from the CRV bigger than Civic EX-T? What is the differences from either turbo or does anyone know yet?

With factory turbo engines, software changes are one of the best bangs for the buck. You'll get more additional hp and torque once Hondata et al offers something for the SI.
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The Si uses the same turbo as the CR-V - an MHI TD03 with 9 vanes vs. 11 vanes on the EX-T.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I remember seeing camber plates, probably under the HPD label, in the "body in white" bare chassis in one of the car show videos. Whoever was there to shoot the vid didn't think to mention all the pieces displayed in this chassis (an LSD was one of them).
FTFY:thumbsup:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Personally, I think the Si is right where it needs to be. Many are disappointed that the 2017 has "only" 205 HP - the same as the previous generation.

1. With preceding generations, there was a larger gap in performance between the non-Si and Si. The 9th generation non-Si produced 143 HP while the Si produced 205 HP. The 10th generation non-Si produces 158-180 HP (depending on engine and model) while the Si still produces 205 HP, but more torque and with significantly better fuel economy than the 9th generation which should not be discounted for those who will use their Si as a daily driver. Despite the "disappointing" 205 HP number, the 2017 Si is almost certain to have better performance, handling, and features than the 9th generation while gaining a significant increase in fuel economy. One might say that 205 HP is not enough for the Si. One might also say that 180 HP is too much for a non-Si. The significant increase in power that came along with the 1.5L turbo in the non-Si dilutes the 205 HP rating of the Si.

2. The Type R with its 306 HP further dilutes the 205 HP rating of the Si. We've never had a Type R here nor any Honda model as powerful.

3. The non-Si 10th Civic represents a significant improvement in terms of power and features compared to the 9th Civic. If the performance of the 2017 Si increased in a closer proportion to the that of the 9th vs. 10th non-Si, it would be much closer to the...wait for it...Type R.

So, one way to look at this is that the 10th non-Si Civic jumped a lot higher while the Si only jumped a little higher by comparison. Using the 10th non-Si Civic as the baseline, the 10th Si no longer seems as impressive relative to the non-Si version as it used to be while the Type R sets new highs for Civic performance. To put it another way, the Si, while still sportier than the non-Si, has become a little more comfort-oriented (tame?) at the same time the Type R exceeds all expectations for what a 10th Si should have been.

Perhaps previous Si-level buyers looking for a little more performance will now look at the Type R while those who always wanted a slightly sportier version of the regular Civic will now go for the Si. If there will be a lower-cost Type R for 2018, one does have to question the relevancy of the Si. On the other hand, the days of simpler trim levels at Honda have been fading. Choices are becoming much more complicated than choosing a coupe or sedan, manual or automatic, DX, LX, EX, or Si Civic. We've now got LX, LX-P, EX, EX-T, EX-L, Touring, Sport, Sport Touring, Si, Type R, coupes, sedans, hatchbacks, CVT or manual, with or without Honda sensing, with or without navigation, summer vs. all-season tires, etc.

Last edited:

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I had to search for the LX-P this is the first that I have heard of that trim!

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
and ultra-rigid front upper control arms shared with the Civic Type R.
I'd really like to know what part they're talking about here since a strut-based suspension has no upper control arm.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
The 'body in white' parts like camber plates and other cool stuff were shown in this past thread:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/sema-...ic-body-in-white-performance-race-parts.6392/

No mention of them being available to the public, and what I got out of it was that it was for some exclusive race program or something pretentious. I hope I'm wrong because I could use those camber plates. I'm sure a lot of the parts, like lsd, would be much more desirable to most civic x owners than the junk from HFP right now.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I took it as the front crossmember and attachment points might be shared with the CTR. If so, that would make things VERY interesting (and VERY expensive to replicate on other trims).

We will need a suspension walk-around to know for sure.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
My uneducated hope would be that the Si's suspension part in question, is Honda's equivalent to Ford's revoknuckle.

If so, it's my understanding that it would help a lot with torque steer. That wouldnt be a bad thing, especially if you'd want more power out of the stock Si.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My uneducated hope would be that the Si's suspension part in question, is Honda's equivalent to Ford's revoknuckle.

If so, it's my understanding that it would help a lot with torque steer. That wouldnt be a bad thing, especially if you'd want more power out of the stock Si.
I know that they had a revoknucle-like system in the FK2 Type-R. I'm sure this generation will also have a similar if not identical part.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just stumbled upon this wonderful Engineering Explained video. It should make everybody feel a little better about the tq/hp numbers from the Si; it backs up how much chassis rigidity (handling in any form, this video uses tires, but chassis rigidity will give you the same effect) goes along with lap times.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Just stumbled upon this wonderful Engineering Explained video. It should make everybody feel a little better about the tq/hp numbers from the Si; it backs up how much chassis rigidity (handling in any form, this video uses tires, but chassis rigidity will give you the same effect) goes along with lap times.

On a tight track.
Sponsored