Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email

mPlasticDesign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BRZ, 2011bmwM3, 2011 1M Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did this thread go from a discussion about the Si torque to some arguement about Honda vs Hyundai?
How? "CHART" this post in which he brags about the torque advantage the Elantra enjoys to the Si....3 ft/lbs!!!!! The post in which he calls the Elantra elegant and the Civic Si "boy racer", the one in which he wrongly claims the Si won't be available in 4-doors unike the Elantra, the one in which he SPECULATES and probably also incorrectly that the elantra will be faster and cheaper. He ends it with "Why Buy an Si? lol". Typical Troll behavior but he claims to be fair and balanced too. Then he kept posting, Dyno video of how underrated the Elantra Sport is and then switched gears and started comparing the Elantra Sport to the Civic EX-t. LoL

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email StartedAll
Sponsored

Last edited:

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
I have seen some chatter about the non-Si 1.5 turbo dyno numbers exceeding expectation. Eg. checking the hatchback forum here, someone just measured 185 whp / 187 ft lbs on a stock sport hatchback. Now this is a car that is marketed as having 180 bhp... so clearly Honda is significantly underrating their 1.5 turbo power output for some unknown reason?!?

Two ways this might go, for the Si:

- If Honda continues to underrate then the actual Si torque / HP numbers may be much higher than marketed. Great!

- I hope Honda doesn't try it, because it would be suicide for the Si line among people with a clue (eg. us reading this forum), but... dyno data shows the sport / non-Si 1.5 turbo hatchback is already very close to the rumored Si numbers. If Honda just keeps the sport exhaust and improves the intake maybe then they can meet the rumored Si numbers without any turbo boost or other engine changes. Anyway I really hope Honda doesn't try this, but it may be a possibility...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
So I guess the Si will be out mid June or later.
That seems reasonable. I can't believe they're still going to be 2017's and not 2018's.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I have seen some chatter about the non-Si 1.5 turbo dyno numbers exceeding expectation. Eg. checking the hatchback forum here, someone just measured 185 whp / 187 ft lbs on a stock sport hatchback. Now this is a car that is marketed as having 180 bhp... so clearly Honda is significantly underrating their 1.5 turbo power output for some unknown reason?!?

Two ways this might go, for the Si:

- If Honda continues to underrate then the actual Si torque / HP numbers may be much higher than marketed. Great!

- I hope Honda doesn't try it, because it would be suicide for the Si line among people with a clue (eg. us reading this forum), but... dyno data shows the sport / non-Si 1.5 turbo hatchback is already very close to the rumored Si numbers. If Honda just keeps the sport exhaust and improves the intake maybe then they can meet the rumored Si numbers without any turbo boost or other engine changes. Anyway I really hope Honda doesn't try this, but it may be a possibility...
I wouldn't worry about it. The results have more to do with testing methodology than a desire to underrate the motors.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I was pretty surprised the CRZ lasted for as long as it did before getting axed. I dont think it did anything well nor resembled the original CRX an any way at all.

Instead of spending 5k on a supercharger, I would just trade it in for something else

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was pretty surprised the CRZ lasted for as long as it did before getting axed. I dont think it did anything well nor resembled the original CRX an any way at all.

Instead of spending 5k on a supercharger, I would just trade it in for something else
If they had finally produced a sport version with the Si motor maybe sales would have been better toward the end of life, but oh well.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Yup. I don't get why Honda didn't sell a gas version of it. They could've made a lighter car with 150Hp or so to offset the experiment of a performance hybrid car. If one or the other didn't sell then axe it and keep the other. An interesting experiment but they should've hedged their bets a little.

The Honda of today is doing a LOT of things well. However, i really wish they'd returned to their roots on a couple performance models (like they did on the Civics). Focus on what made the particular models appealing then make all those better. Imagine an NSX with no hybrid gear, twin turbo V6, manual steering, some essential creature comforts and a lower price tag to match. Instead they wanted to show what they could do with heavy tech... cool yes, but show us what you can do in the same spirit as the original NSX too.

Same for the CRZ, make a 2017 CRX with the Honda formula of weight, fun-to-drive, cost, reliability, etc. There's no doubt they could make a two seater that's better than the Miata in every way and cheaper. If it sells well do a 200Hp version just because you can!!!

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ttle.

The Honda of today is doing a LOT of things well. However, i really wish they'd returned to their roots on a couple performance models (like they did on the Civics). Focus on what made the particular models appealing then make all those better. Imagine an NSX with no hybrid gear, twin turbo V6, manual steering, some essential creature comforts and a lower price tag to match. Instead they wanted to show what they could do with heavy tech... cool yes, but show us what you can do in the same spirit as the original NSX too.

Same for the CRZ, make a 2017 CRX with the Honda formula of weight, fun-to-drive, cost, reliability, etc. There's no doubt they could make a two seater that's better than the Miata in every way and cheaper. If it sells well do a 200Hp version just because you can!!!
I get what you are saying, but Honda did build a "low tech" NSX that never made it past the prototype stage because reaction to it was so abysmal.

Google some of the history of the new NSX, it makes for a fascinating read, but the short version is after the prototype was panned, Honda convened a special design team here in Columbus, locked the doors and slid pizzas through the mail slot until they had a design.

Honda realized that cars in that 150-300k segment appealed to well heeled individuals who like gadgets. The latest phone, smart watch, tablet, and so on. With the i8 selling out in the U.K., a high tech NSX was needed.

However, I do agree there is certainly a market for a 2 seat enthusiast car, be it a S2000 type, or a CRX 2.0, or both.
Sponsored