takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
There's been a lot of talk here about how if the Si started stepping on the next Type R's toes. One way they could differentiate the different modes and prevent this is by offering the Si in only coupe and sedan form and Type R in only hatchback form. Will make some people upset who might want a Si hatch or Type R coupe/sedan but it may help protect sales of both Si and Type R and prevent cannibalizing.
I just confirmed your speculation. On the Honda website: http://automobiles.honda.com/10th-gen-civic/ There's a place to sign up for more CivicX info. If you go to the link it will be easier to follow what I'm saying. I selected more info for "Civic Si", "Civic 5 Door" and "Civic Type R" and received an automated email response from Honda:

Thanks for signing up.

Keep an eye on your inbox. We'll soon deliver more of what interests you about
Honda, including the latest news, events, site features, vehicle updates and
launch information.

• Your current e-mail subscriptions:
    Civic 5-Door
    Civic Si Coupe
    Civic Si Sedan
    Civic Type R

So, for SURE the Si is going to be available in coupe and sedan, especially since I only selected "Civic Si" info from the sign up form and the auto response was split for a sedan and coupe! And I would bet money the Type R is only available in 5 door.

What do you guys think? I think it is damn certain info
Sponsored

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I just confirmed your speculation. On the Honda website: http://automobiles.honda.com/10th-gen-civic/ There's a place to sign up for more CivicX info. If you go to the link it will be easier to follow what I'm saying. I selected more info for "Civic Si", "Civic 5 Door" and "Civic Type R" and received an automated email response from Honda:

Thanks for signing up.

Keep an eye on your inbox. We'll soon deliver more of what interests you about
Honda, including the latest news, events, site features, vehicle updates and
launch information.

• Your current e-mail subscriptions:
    Civic 5-Door
    Civic Si Coupe
    Civic Si Sedan
    Civic Type R

So, for SURE the Si is going to be available in coupe and sedan, especially since I only selected "Civic Si" info from the sign up form and the auto response was split for a sedan and coupe! And I would bet money the Type R is only available in 5 door.

What do you guys think? I think it is damn certain info
Really good catch. We're staying one step ahead of them! :) I do wish we'd see a 5 door Si but it was a long shot to begin with and there's already soo many models and configurations to choose from.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I signed up a bit early on - like right after the VP dude said there would be a TypeR, and there was no Type R selection for a while at first...

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I kinda figured that's how it'd end up working out. Both from a production cost standpoint and to avoid sales cannibalization between models.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I wouldn't rule out the hatch. But I wouldn't expect it to be released this year under the Si badge. Honda could lend most of the Si components from the Coupe/Sedan to a hatch. Except probably the rear suspension and any unique rear Si trim.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape yet. Over this long 18 month roll out I am sure the first Type R will be the hatch followed by either the sedan or coupe. They probably just have a priority based on demand of which models come out first and last. If the sales are there and they will be the Civic brand is going to be absolutely insane.

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape yet. Over this long 18 month roll out I am sure the first Type R will be the hatch followed by either the sedan or coupe. If the sales are there and they will be the Civic brand is going to be absolutely insane.
Everything hinges on sales. If the Type R does very well as a hatch, they'll expand the offerings to coupe/sedan. If it doesn't do that well, probably not. Same with the Si... especially if they offer an auto option and make it more mainstream i could see the demand/sales being high enough to do a hatch version Si. But to start out they're going to go the safe route, especially since the hatches are being imported here. If the hatch does well enough, they might eventually bring US hatch production here to save on costs in able to offer more variants.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Everything hinges on sales. If the Type R does very well as a hatch, they'll expand the offerings to coupe/sedan. If it doesn't do that well, probably not. Same with the Si... especially if they offer an auto option and make it more mainstream i could see the demand/sales being high enough to do a hatch version Si. But to start out they're going to go the safe route, especially since the hatches are being imported here. If the hatch does well enough, they might eventually bring US hatch production here to save on costs in able to offer more variants.

Yea and I am sure they are weighing options of making the new civic body the new ILX. Pushing people to Acura for maybe the auto option on the Si equivalent?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Civic Si DCT = Next Gen ILX.

Same chassis most likely.

Yea that's what I was thinking but my hope is still for civic. They will charge a 5k premium just for the A symbol instead of the H symbol ha

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking the next gen ILX might actually get more power than the Si and be DCT only. That would put it more between the Si and Type R for performance, leave plenty of improvement room for the TLX and prevent the ILX from stepping on the Type R toes since it'll have the manual transmission. It would also thrust the ILX closer to class leading for the small lux car segment.

As for platform, most of honda's new models will share this platform. Civic, Accord, ILX, TLX, CRZ, CRV, MDX, etc. We could even see the Fit and HRV move to this new platform once they're up for redesigns.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I'm thinking the next gen ILX might actually get more power than the Si and be DCT only. That would put it more between the Si and Type R for performance, leave plenty of improvement room for the TLX and prevent the ILX from stepping on the Type R toes since it'll have the manual transmission. It would also thrust the ILX closer to class leading for the small lux car segment.
Well I like that idea better so I can get an SI more affordably ha

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I love that they took the coupe so seriously in the design of the chassis. Its not like they just chopped two doors off, like a lot of car companies have done in the past. And as a result the coupe performance should be more nimbler then the sedan. Put the Si on the coupe and that car is going to out perform more expensive competition by a mile! Drove the sedan EX can not wait to try the turbo coupe and more importantly if built to my liking the SI coupe!

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if a coupe rear end would fit on the sedan? I Cant wait for the Si to release.. Honda hurry up I have a few Ford Focus St to smoke.. ;)