Ahxgen9320

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Hello I am not sure if this thread is open anywhere else. Ive been having issues with my 2017 Si fbo with flex fuel kit. For over the passed 2 years I’ve been having head gasket issues. I’ve had the head resurfaced, and pressure tested 2x. Been through numerous gaskets ( only Cometic ) seems to properly get a good seal. Which still seems to be holding for over a year but still fuel trims are wild and still burns a slight amount of coolant in the cylinders. I am not wanting to give up on the car but it’s been a pain dealing with it. I’m assuming maybe drop the block and have it redecked?
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
Ahxgen9320

Ahxgen9320

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Are you using aftermarket head studs? I'd also recommend trying an OEM gasket next time.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/honda-l15-turbo-head-stud-kit-for-2016-1-5t-engine
I am the maperformance kit. I have been reusing them cause I believe they are reuseable ( may be the main issue if I’m wrong ) and also I’ve tried the oem gasket ‘( I have 6 used ones that all failed ) which all did not seal like the Cometic the oem gasket prolly only ran on the car for maybe 10 mins and the was smoking like crazy.

DadBodMod17

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 4dr Si.
Country flag
possibly a dumb question... but are you sure you don't have a crack in the block or something, maybe a really small one that is hard to see but under-pressure spits out the coolant? That many head-gasket failures is crazy!!

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
ARP studs are typically re-usable if they are not damaged. However given what you have gone through, replacing them isn't the worst idea.

Are you sure the studs are all inserted to the correct depth? It is important the holes that they thread into are clean so the stud can fully insert.

The very large spacers that MAP use are questionable but there are many people that have used with without issue from what I have seen.

Having the deck surface checked isn't a bad idea.

OP
OP
Ahxgen9320

Ahxgen9320

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
possibly a dumb question... but are you sure you don't have a crack in the block or something, maybe a really small one that is hard to see but under-pressure spits out the coolant? That many head-gasket failures is crazy!!
That’s what Im thinking it is but hoping it’s not. I haven’t seen any noticeable cracks or anything in the cylinder walls.

OP
OP
Ahxgen9320

Ahxgen9320

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
ARP studs are typically re-usable if they are not damaged. However given what you have gone through, replacing them isn't the worst idea.

Are you sure the studs are all inserted to the correct depth? It is important the holes that they thread into are clean so the stud can fully insert.

The very large spacers that MAP use are questionable but there are many people that have used with without issue from what I have seen.

Having the deck surface checked isn't a bad idea.
I have cleaned the holes but prolly not at the best I could. I may as well just pull the block and have it tested

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not necessarily. My tuning reliability thread is showing that Si's running flex fuel tunes have a big issue with head gaskets. @bbeem has gone through 3 of them.

OP
OP
Ahxgen9320

Ahxgen9320

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Not necessarily. My tuning reliability thread is showing that Si's running flex fuel tunes have a big issue with head gaskets. @bbeem has gone through 3 of them.
I’m thinking about getting the twosteperformance arp kit. I’ve read that maperformance kit is good but wasn’t actually made for the L15B7 blocks

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m thinking about getting the twosteperformance arp kit. I’ve read that maperformance kit is good but wasn’t actually made for the L15B7 blocks
Yes, the TSP kit is technically better. The maperfomance kit uses Hayabusa studs and half inch spacer. I turned the spacers and still have them for sale but just get the TSP kit. My busa studs have held for over 2.5 years and counting so in reality they're probably the same or similar strength.
Sponsored