Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys, I’m curious if blown headgaskets happen commenly on 10th gen si’s? I really like my 10th gen SI, probably gonna do a buyout at the end of the lease...

Seen a couple cases on other forums and it’s getting me worried..

Or do the headgaskets commonly blow when modded? I know these blocks are an open deck design so around the bores there is not much of a sealing surface between the head, head gasket, and cylinder...

At the Honda dealer where I work I’ve only seen one 10th gen si there for a blown head gasket in the two years I’ve worked there.. Seems it was an overboost issue..

Thanks
-Spence
Sponsored

Reactions: AVR

Robdog2232

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic SI,' 17 Dodge Durango R/T, '06 Chevy Avalanche
Country flag
Kind of seems like you answered your own question there...

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Kind of seems like you answered your own question there...
Well yes and no, I wanted to hear this community’s scoop on the matter that’s all... Like other people’s experiences

Reactions: AVR

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
From the few people I've asked, they were doing a lot of brake boosting and/or using anti lag prior to the head gasket failing.

I don't think there are many cases of it just failing, if at all, from regular driving. At least not that I've seen.

Edit: Example below

Honda Civic 10th gen Are head gasket issues a thing? 20210415_201900

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don’t have to worry about the head gasket if you do a head gasket delete...

in all seriousness you have to be pushing the car pretty hard for you to blow the head gasket I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you’re really unlucky. None of the guys I know that are running serious power have had issues. Seems like our Play doh made rods or 3rd/4th gear goes out before HG does. At least from my observation..

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
From the few people I've asked, they were doing a lot of brake boosting and/or using anti lag prior to the head gasket failing.

I don't think there are many cases of it just failing, if at all, from regular driving. At least not that I've seen.

View attachment 286111

View attachment 286111
You don’t have to worry about the head gasket if you do a head gasket delete...

in all seriousness you have to be pushing the car pretty hard for you to blow the head gasket I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you’re really unlucky. None of the guys I know that are running serious power have had issues. Seems like our Play doh made rods or 3rd/4th gear goes out before HG does. At least from my observation..
thanks, my plan is just to keep it stock power wise and just get some nice rpf1’s and either a catback exhaust or a reso delete.. obviously better tires and snow tires for the stock wheels..

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I run the ongoing community tuning reliability thread. People post about their tuned cars and any issues they have (if any). Out of 601 tuned 10th gens so far, I can only think of 1 or 2 with blown head gaskets. So what's that come to, about a 0.3% failure rate?

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
I run the community tuning reliability thread where people post about their tuned cars and any issues they have (if any). Out of 601 tuned 10th gens, I can only think of 1 or 2 with blown head gaskets. So what's that come to, about a 0.3% failure rate?
Wow that’s really not bad, the kinda answer I was hoping for. So definitely confirming my thoughts its pretty rare.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
From what I've read on here head gasket failures come from overboost or running E85 for a long period of time. I forgot the science behind it but basically the head studs stretch or something. That's where the ARP head stud kit comes in. I could be wrong, it's just what I've read on here and seen happen to other people I've spoken to.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yes. The studs stretch in extreme boost situations. Upgraded studs are recommended for anyone looking to push into 4bar map sensor boost territory.

I was actually steered away from a aftermarket head gasket. OEM with Upgraded studs is the recommended.

Dk1291

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civin
Country flag
Hi guys, I’m curious if blown headgaskets happen commenly on 10th gen si’s? I really like my 10th gen SI, probably gonna do a buyout at the end of the lease...

Or do the headgaskets commonly blow when modded? I know these blocks are an open deck design so around the bores there is not much of a sealing surface between the head, head gasket, and cylinder...

At the Honda dealer where I work I’ve only seen one 10th gen si there for a blown head gasket in the two years I’ve worked there.. Seems it was an overboost issue..

Thanks
-Spence
[/QUOTE

Thanks
-Spence
i just bought a 2016 honda civic touring with 63,000 miles and it has a blown head

Dk1291

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civin
Country flag

20210415_201900.jpg
I run the ongoing community tuning reliability thread. People post about their tuned cars and any issues they have (if any). Out of 601 tuned 10th gens so far, I can only think of 1 or 2 with blown head gaskets. So what's that come to, about a 0.3% failure rate?
i just bought a 2016 honda civic touring with 63,000 miles and it has a blown head

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have 138,000 miles on my car and was driving for 2 years on a flex-fuel tune without issue. I recently upgraded to head studs just because of seeing some buzz on the subject, and it wasn't expensive or time consuming to put them in. If you are tuned, studs are worth having if adding a bit more reliability is a thing for you.

kconnelly339

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ktuned 2017 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
I have 138,000 miles on my car and was driving for 2 years on a flex-fuel tune without issue. I recently upgraded to head studs just because of seeing some buzz on the subject, and it wasn't expensive or time consuming to put them in. If you are tuned, studs are worth having if adding a bit more reliability is a thing for you.
Did you upgrade the studs without pulling the head? I’ve heard of people doing that but also heard its a very sketchy way of doing it and reliability is worsened. Doing it the right way I know is actually extremely expensive labor-wise.
Sponsored