@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
I am also a tech at a dealer (not Honda) and usually when we run into this stuff it somehow ends up getting covered or goodwilled. I'm not sure what the legal nomenclature in Honda's new car warranty is, but typically the Magnuson-Moss warranty act forces the manufacturer to prove the customer's modification(s) directly caused the defect before a warranty claim can be legally denied.

I imagine in the Honda world that engineering has their ducks in a row because situations like this are probably pretty common. I'm just curious if they are able to legally deny the warranty claim solely based on seeing a computer software flash.

And yeah - screw warranty work.
People flip out on this forum about warranty work being tuned. I know a Honda tech and pretty much if they don't "flag" your vehicle your good. Even then depending on the manager they will just warranty it, they don't want the headache.
Sponsored

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
People flip out on this forum about warranty work being tuned. I know a Honda tech and pretty much if they don't "flag" your vehicle your good. Even then depending on the manager they will just warranty it, they don't want the headache.
This is why I was curious how Honda viewed it. I've always been in the luxury world and the number one priority beyond profits is customer satisfaction. If we have customers that buy multiple vehicles per year and their kid likes to modify his, we wouldn't deny warranty coverage in a typical situation even if the repair in question was due to negligence or possibly the modification.

With that being said, again, engine management tuning isn't something I see much of. Broken parts, spilled drinks on electronics, that sort of thing will get taken care of under warranty in most cases I've been apart of over the years. Even for first time customers in many situations.

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5 FBO CVT
Country flag
what a ridiculous comment,

your basically saying its okay to steal from large companies because they make lots of money,
Yeup that exactly what im saying lol. Its not stealing lol but sure.

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5 FBO CVT
Country flag
I am also a tech at a dealer (not Honda) and usually when we run into this stuff it somehow ends up getting covered or goodwilled. I'm not sure what the legal nomenclature in Honda's new car warranty is, but typically the Magnuson-Moss warranty act forces the manufacturer to prove the customer's modification(s) directly caused the defect before a warranty claim can be legally denied.

I imagine in the Honda world that engineering has their ducks in a row because situations like this are probably pretty common. I'm just curious if they are able to legally deny the warranty claim solely based on seeing a computer software flash.

And yeah - screw warranty work.
I swear techs are lazy at doing warranty work, my battery was dying before the the warranty period, like the car would barley start in super cold days, and i was only getting 10v from the battery so I took it the dealer and the one tech at the dealership just told me it was fine and it was my fault cuz im tuned, that makes no sense. Then I went to another dealership and told him the same exact thing about the battery, and he fixed it under warranty no problem.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
I swear techs are lazy at doing warranty work, my battery was dying before the the warranty period, like the car would barley start in super cold days, and i was only getting 10v from the battery so I took it the dealer and the one tech at the dealership just told me it was fine and it was my fault cuz im tuned, that makes no sense. Then I went to another dealership and told him the same exact thing about the battery, and he fixed it under warranty no problem.
Where I work, we use a Midtronics tester and if the battery fails, it gives us a code and we replace it. If it says charge and retest, we have to spend over an hour charging it until it either passes or fails, and tie up a bay while doing so and basically get paid about 0.2 hrs to charge it. Most guys just find a bad battery to generate a code if that happens because nobody in their right mind would spend over an hour of their time to earn 0.2 hrs. Not sure how Honda's procedure works.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plus if you flash back to stock, when you can't really run the engine and drive it around, it won't show readiness and that's another red flag for the tech.

du ma may

First Name
anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
racezzz
Country flag
is this on eblend tune? if so then yeah u gonna blow HG lol should done arp head stud before going eblend.

OP
OP
badmonbb

badmonbb

First Name
Amaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex 2.0
Country flag
is this on eblend tune? if so then yeah u gonna blow HG lol should done arp head stud before going eblend.
I heard arp head studs don’t make much of a difference either way but yeah I just didn’t expect it to blow so soon

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard arp head studs don’t make much of a difference either way but yeah I just didn’t expect it to blow so soon
I think the studs make all the difference. I replaced with factory head bolts at 12 months and 11 months later it blew again. Used arp studs the second time and it's held for over a year going strong.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This is why I was curious how Honda viewed it. I've always been in the luxury world and the number one priority beyond profits is customer satisfaction. If we have customers that buy multiple vehicles per year and their kid likes to modify his, we wouldn't deny warranty coverage in a typical situation even if the repair in question was due to negligence or possibly the modification.

With that being said, again, engine management tuning isn't something I see much of. Broken parts, spilled drinks on electronics, that sort of thing will get taken care of under warranty in most cases I've been apart of over the years. Even for first time customers in many situations.
If it's like the situations you described, we usually don't care and will cover it. The thingy is loose, you accidently scratched something etc and we do a "good guy honda" move and cover it anyways, we do that A LOT. But when it comes to heavy line, that's harder to get covered because Honda wants to know why it failed and if this is a quality control issue. When 1.5T engines are blowing up left and right they want to know if they need to update software or there is a major defect. We've covered "racing damage/abuse" for years, see the 8th gen Si 3rd gear grinds. The problem is the well mannered enthusiast who is looking for some help is a small percentage. Typically, the guy that blows his engine returns in 6 months with it blown up again and then blames you. It's up to the dealer to make the call. We approve stuff based on if the customer is a repeat customer for non-warranty work and the general attitude of the customer. Why would we go above and beyond for a customer who has never made any purchases from us and is super hostile to deal with?

Difference with what you see is I think luxury performance cars will see this on a much smaller scale then the mass produced, mass tuned Honda Civic. So doing a M3 or AMG engine under warranty is rare compared to the numbers we would see and is for a demographic spending 4-5x the amount for a new car.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
If it's like the situations you described, we usually don't care and will cover it. The thingy is loose, you accidently scratched something etc and we do a "good guy honda" move and cover it anyways, we do that A LOT. But when it comes to heavy line, that's harder to get covered because Honda wants to know why it failed and if this is a quality control issue. When 1.5T engines are blowing up left and right they want to know if they need to update software or there is a major defect. We've covered "racing damage/abuse" for years, see the 8th gen Si 3rd gear grinds. The problem is the well mannered enthusiast who is looking for some help is a small percentage. Typically, the guy that blows his engine returns in 6 months with it blown up again and then blames you. It's up to the dealer to make the call. We approve stuff based on if the customer is a repeat customer for non-warranty work and the general attitude of the customer. Why would we go above and beyond for a customer who has never made any purchases from us and is super hostile to deal with?

Difference with what you see is I think luxury performance cars will see this on a much smaller scale then the mass produced, mass tuned Honda Civic. So doing a M3 or AMG engine under warranty is rare compared to the numbers we would see and is for a demographic spending 4-5x the amount for a new car.
Thank you for the insight. I guess I didn’t realize the sheer amount of modified vehicles you guys must see on a regular basis..and I agree, our industry is rife with d-bag customers looking for a free lunch that they should be paying for themselves.
Sponsored