Hatchback trim performance difference

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
I would put more of the onus on Honda, I mean making a sport model that has 5 more HP, 5? Really? They don't even say the exhaust on the sport gets you anything. I think it's fair for buyers of the sport to settle for putting 87 in them if they don't want to purchase premium. When you consider the MPG it isn't that big of a deal to buy premium, granted. I'd say most Sport versions are sold for the center exhaust and other cosmetic features than the whopping 5 HP. Suspension is the same, just a bit quicker steer ratio, 6MT option... so really...does the 5 HP make it a 'sport' model? Honda, thanks for confusing the consumer.
Post #28 Sonic is trying to make the point for not using Premium, though it is recommended by the manufacturer. Sonic must know more than the manufacturer?

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
Post #28 Sonic is trying to make the point for not using Premium, though it is recommended by the manufacturer. Sonic must know more than the manufacturer?
I never understood arguing on a car forum...move on man. Life's too short for this back and forth shit

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
I never understood arguing on a car forum...move on man. Life's too short for this back and forth shit
So calling someone out when they make claims which aren't true or accurate is not acceptable on discussion boards?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
http://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/why-you-might-not-actually-need-premium-gas/

Here's some testing done by consumer guide on "premium gas recommended"
So regular made no difference on MPG and performance. :thumbsup:

Both sedans achieved the same fuel economy when tested with regular fuel as with premium. During this testing, the cars felt and sounded the same; we did not experience any engine pinging or knocking noise in either car when using regular fuel.

The owner's manuals indicate that you might notice a decrease in performance when running on regular, but our test results say otherwise. The 0-60 mph acceleration times were identical in the TLX and Maxima on regular and premium gas.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Everyone who read the forums here know that the 1.5T was sandbagged from the factory anyway... BMW level sandbagging. All models could be making an exact, geniune 205HP from the factory across all body styles regardless of transmission. Honda marketers will give the Sport a "6HP boost" on paper to think Sport buyers are getting something more for the word 'sport' when all models are the same lol.

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Everyone who read the forums here know that the 1.5T was sandbagged from the factory anyway... BMW level sandbagging. They could be making an exact, geniune 205HP from the factory across all body styles regardless of transmission. Honda marketers will give the Sport a "6HP boost" on paper to think Sport buyers are getting something more for the work 'sport' when all models are the same lol.
Yep. Same thing with the K20. Hell, even the power output of the NSX is most likely underrated. Honda has always been very conservative when disclosing performance figures.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
And require 93 octane. Don't do it.
The Honda guy interviewed by Zack regarding the Hatch is lying thru his teeth to save credibility. He specifically avoided Zack's question by saying the customer wants to pay more for performance. LOL for 6 hp? I'm gonna find him on Linkedin and send him a note saying Honda should be embarrassed. The compression is the same LX vs Sport & premium is only recommended ... not required. They just recommend for the extra 6 hp and think their millennial target demographic will eat it up. Honda has been doing the recommended thing for years in their acura's. Ford does the same thing for their Escape but the owners manual says 87 octane minimum. Hopefully someone will share the owners manual info for the sport hatch soon.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
Hey you are welcome to run whatever you want in your cars, just quit dissing Honda by saying crap like the onus is on them when you knew full well that they recommended premium for the vehicle to run at it's optimum level.

You knew the price of admission going into this movie, now quit your whining.
I think the whining is valid considering premium only buys a few extra HP... an extra 25 HP would make sense and be worth the premium.

Jaguro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I don't get it, All I want was to buy a hatchback sport not because "it gives more power" but has more for my money. What's wrong with that? an extra HP, I care less, but I don't want to be breaking my hatchback if I don't use premium.

Gas here in Canada is way more expensive. Regular = 99.9 vs Premium = 122.6....for 5-6 HP....WHY would you? It doesn't make sense. We are paying in Litres while you guys are paying in Gallons.

Fuel tank is 47 Litres = 12.4 Gallons

Sport offers:
  • Fog lights
  • Sunroof
  • A better looking car
  • Dual Zone Air con
  • Remote engine start
  • and many more

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Jaguro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Page: 518

Fuel Information
Fuel recommendation
Models without the label “PREMIUM RECOMMENDED”
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher

Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocking noise that can lead to engine damage.

Models with the label “PREMIUM RECOMMENDED”

Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage.

Top tier detergent
gasoline Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.

From my understanding I'm good to put regular gas.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I'm in the camp they're all underrated by 20 hp or torque maybe. I think my Sport feels faster than the sedans I drove cause it's lighter by 150+ lbs. that makes a huge difference in a sub 3000 lb car. Will see the effect of premium when I go to regular next fillup.

I cared more about the leather steering wheel than the +6 hp, and love the dual exhaust, though wish it was not centered and taking up trunk space.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
If you use the Gas Buddy app it will tell you which gas brands are Top Tier rated.
Sponsored