Has the Brembo brake squeal been reincarnated from the infamous Evo Brake Squeal?

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
3500+ miles here, the brakes will still squeal at low speeds, especially if the humidity is high. Coming from the Evo world, this is completely normal. My stock Evo Brembos squealed, the Evo Brembos with Hawk HP+ pads squealed, with Project Mu clubsport pads, squealed, etc. etc. You get used to it eventually, and even develop braking habits that mitigate the actual squeal, too.

Just be thankful our wheels are black and hide the brake dust, haha. Evo GSR wheels were bright silver, and my CE28Ns were bright, too, so it was brake dust for days.
Sponsored

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
3500+ miles here, the brakes will still squeal at low speeds, especially if the humidity is high. Coming from the Evo world, this is completely normal. My stock Evo Brembos squealed, the Evo Brembos with Hawk HP+ pads squealed, with Project Mu clubsport pads, squealed, etc. etc. You get used to it eventually, and even develop braking habits that mitigate the actual squeal, too.

Just be thankful our wheels are black and hide the brake dust, haha. Evo GSR wheels were bright silver, and my CE28Ns were bright, too, so it was brake dust for days.
Just make sure you guys clean your wheels regularly. That dust will eat away the finish easily if it's left on there too long.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah so it is normal. I put brembos on my non type r and its squeeling

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I must be a wuss because the squeal is driving me nuts. Actually, let me fix that, it is driving my family nuts. But I am not gonna complain, or say anything to the Honda dealership or HQ, because I am not a snitch. :) I will try out the Hawk HPS pads and see how that goes. It looks like those pads are very simple to change out from the Brembo calipers and they cost less than $100, so worth a try. I will report back.

P.S. Happy New Year, everyone. Be safe.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I must be a wuss because the squeal is driving me nuts. Actually, let me fix that, it is driving my family nuts. But I am not gonna complain, or say anything to the Honda dealership or HQ, because I am not a snitch. :) I will try out the Hawk HPS pads and see how that goes. It looks like those pads are very simple to change out from the Brembo calipers and they cost less than $100, so worth a try. I will report back.

P.S. Happy New Year, everyone. Be safe.
Try titanium backing plates, they often help, even with the same pads.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I said this on FB, a little bit of spirited driving gets rid of the squeal, no need to break speed limits, just go hard on the braking and it will be gone. If I hear squeal I just take it as the car telling me it's time to drive it properly!

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I said this on FB, a little bit of spirited driving gets rid of the squeal, no need to break speed limits, just go hard on the braking and it will be gone. If I hear squeal I just take it as the car telling me it's time to drive it properly!
I did try to bed the pads . . . . the squeal was gone, and I was elated and thought that it was forever gone. Came back gradually over the next couple of days. FWIW.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did try to bed the pads . . . . the squeal was gone, and I was elated and thought that it was forever gone. Came back gradually over the next couple of days. FWIW.
It's what I said, if they start squealing it means you having been doing any hard braking recently ("spirited driving"). Do you live near any fun roads? I commute through tight, bendy roads every day even if it takes some extra time to get home. I get to have legal fun with the car and it gets rid of the squeal, win/win! Ofc, my winters are really mild, so I don't have to worry about ice/snow

daimyo777

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R; 2001 Honda Civic DX 4 door
Who else is having the Infamous Evo Brake Squeal in their CTR? It started yesterday and here and there, its squeaking like the ole Evo's. Oh joy....
Yes, they do. I have 7600 miles on it and they do squeal when they are in city or stop and go traffic. Honda dealership says it' normal because they are performance brakes and need to be hot. They also said I could use Performance U brakes pads and it will stop noise without sacrificing performance and also less brakes dust. I will be checking pricing.

Performance Brakes LTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Yes, they do. I have 7600 miles on it and they do squeal when they are in city or stop and go traffic. Honda dealership says it' normal because they are performance brakes and need to be hot. They also said I could use Performance U brakes pads and it will stop noise without sacrificing performance and also less brakes dust. I will be checking pricing.
I'd be careful with that. While you may not need the level of performance offered by the OEM Type R pads, it is very unlikely you are going to find something that has the same level of performance without the noise and dust.

I personally like the Hawk HPS pads for most aggressive street / non-track applications. I've not experienced any noise from them and the dust isn't bad.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's what I said, if they start squealing it means you having been doing any hard braking recently ("spirited driving"). Do you live near any fun roads? I commute through tight, bendy roads every day even if it takes some extra time to get home. I get to have legal fun with the car and it gets rid of the squeal, win/win! Ofc, my winters are really mild, so I don't have to worry about ice/snow
Where I live, there is no place where I can do spirited driving, unless I drive quite a bit out to the country. Instead, I have been braking fairly hard at the last minute before coming to a stop, and that seems to help to a degree.