Tommyfk8

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic type r
Country flag
So what I did for this is tap a long screwdriver on the break shield. Go around the circle several times. Use both ends to tap. What (I think) this does is either set the break shield in the "correct" or non-noisy position or releases the stuck rock. Tap hard enough so it does not bend the shield. If it keeps happening stop somewhere safe and do it again. Perhaps tap harder.

Good luck and please don't sue me if something goes wrong :) 99% of the time the issue will be with your passenger side front wheel.
Thanks for the tip.?
Sponsored

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag
Looking at using these for daily/occasional track (maybe 3 or 4 times a year)

Have you been on a track with those pads?
Not yet dude. not sure when.

regarding for the track, went through several forums and folks use them for both track and street. a bit noisy, yes.
track wise they hold up well. depends on experience as well of course. better breaking technique you have then they will last longer.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Not yet dude. not sure when.

regarding for the track, went through several forums and folks use them for both track and street. a bit noisy, yes.
track wise they hold up well. depends on experience as well of course. better breaking technique you have then they will last longer.
I ended up going with the PS pads and they come in today. I’ll follow up on how they perform in the future

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
They will squeal forever. Normal with the brake pad compound.

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag
I ended up going with the PS pads and they come in today. I’ll follow up on how they perform in the future
yea let me know! liking my set up so far. other pad I am running is the NS series on my DC5. Definitely OEM spec(non brembo) with not much dust and no noise at all. those are the perfect basic street/minor canyon . Wonder if your PS are similar to the B-Spec.

Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the tip.?
FYI - Sorry, after reading the other comments I realized my prior post does not apply to the break squeal when coming to a stop. Tapping the break shield helps with the grinding noise only - when there is a rock stuck or if (I think) the aluminum break shield gets misaligned.

For the break squeal there seems to be a break-in period. I had the squeal regularly from 7-4000 miles. Then from 4k-5k it was infrequent. Now at about 9k I almost never hear it.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
ok guys..just gonna bring up this old thread cuz i dont want to start a new one.. but yeah i get this squealing on mine (less than 5k miles) and its starting to annoy me.

however, i can hear this squeal or like a tssss tssss tsss noise when im NOT pressing the brake pedal. mostly at low speed or making a sharp turn (like pulling into a parking spot).

its almost embarrasing to have a bright blue car that everyone looks at making this noise. now im thinking its the noise that make people look..lol

should i take this into the dealer to get looked at? again, im getting this noise when im not even using the brakes..

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
ok guys..just gonna bring up this old thread cuz i dont want to start a new one.. but yeah i get this squealing on mine (less than 5k miles) and its starting to annoy me.

however, i can hear this squeal or like a tssss tssss tsss noise when im NOT pressing the brake pedal. mostly at low speed or making a sharp turn (like pulling into a parking spot).

its almost embarrasing to have a bright blue car that everyone looks at making this noise. now im thinking its the noise that make people look..lol

should i take this into the dealer to get looked at? again, im getting this noise when im not even using the brakes..
There's a rock in your brake shield. Extremely common.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I am curious, if heat helps with the squeal, why does Honda say no hard braking for the first 300 KM? I would have thought 'seating' the pads with some nice hard breaking right away would be beneficial, but apparently not.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I am curious, if heat helps with the squeal, why does Honda say no hard braking for the first 300 KM? I would have thought 'seating' the pads with some nice hard breaking right away would be beneficial, but apparently not.
Hard braking is not a good idea for bedding in pads. Firm, smooth braking repeated a few times (60 -> 5 MPH) then letting the rotors cool is a proper way to bed in the brakes. Honda doesn’t want to tell users to do this, so they expect similar bedding to occur over 300 km with normal use. Hard braking (like stabbing your brakes) could be counterproductive during this I assume.

That said, if you want to stop these brakes from squealing, your implication is correct, you want to get a little more heat into the brakes, so go a little more firm with them. If you’re using the dash screen that shows the gas and brake input, then having two “bars” filled is generally where I find the sweet spot as any less and the brakes will begin squealing pretty quickly. Bedding the brakes in (60 -> 5 runs) helps keep them from squealing for a while as well.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Hard braking is not a good idea for bedding in pads. Firm, smooth braking repeated a few times (60 -> 5 MPH) then letting the rotors cool is a proper way to bed in the brakes. Honda doesn’t want to tell users to do this, so they expect similar bedding to occur over 300 km with normal use. Hard braking (like stabbing your brakes) could be counterproductive during this I assume.

That said, if you want to stop these brakes from squealing, your implication is correct, you want to get a little more heat into the brakes, so go a little more firm with them. If you’re using the dash screen that shows the gas and brake input, then having two “bars” filled is generally where I find the sweet spot as any less and the brakes will begin squealing pretty quickly. Bedding the brakes in (60 -> 5 runs) helps keep them from squealing for a while as well.
Thank you for this - only ~200KM on my car so I probably still have time. I've been trying to constantly run it through (most) of the rev range (no redline of course), with decompression runs too (accelerating to say 5k rpm then letting the car slow itself down). I will follow your advice for the brakes, too.
Sponsored