Guys.. Im worried about my Type R getting stolen..

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Alot of cars get stolen with flatbeds to which there is zero protection. They just drag it on the flatbed and drive off and once in safe place can remove anything you put on easy. just dont sweat it, if its gonna happen its gonna happen. not like they did not make more. get check go buy another.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How can you use the ebrake like that in this car? It's just an electric switch.
Best read your owners manual.
That switch is connected to the VSA - pull it up and hold it and all 4 brakes are fully applied. If you're moving you'll stop, suddenly.
Us "old timers" still have to pull the E-Brake handle which just applies the rear brakes and allows J-turns if you're so inclined.

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
you are very correct to worry about your car... my car was stolen within 15-20mins of being in a Bubble tea (boba for you US folks) shop with some buddies between a wedding ceremony and reception.
If you want the full story PM me as there was a very interesting coincidence before they stole it...

They recovered it 4 days later in a barn with a lambo, maseratti and 2 ram pick ups..

The bubble tea shop was in a massive commercial area with a movie theater and major chain restaurants at 4pm...

It was written off...
I am doing what I can to slow them down now, cause if i had the club, a kill switch it woulda probably prevented that theft!
I probably woulda just had to get new keys because my OEM ones didn't work anymore.

yah, tow truck is hard to fight against... but park near cameras, near people (id rather get a door ding then park it in a wide-open area so it makes it easier to take).

dont ever think it wont happen to you, or u cant do much... u can do a lot against RFID bandits... they dont have to trucks, and they dont have time to cut off the club or figure out where the kill switch(s) are..

ALSO look into the IGLA... it's a module that acts like a kill switch where u can program a sequence of buttons in your car to start it.

Good luck!

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Iā€™m forced to keep mine outdoors as well. One thing i was afraid of is wheels getting stolen. I have wheel locks and I also turn the wheels fully when leaving the car overnight. My thought is that it will be a lot harder for them to remove the front wheels when they are completely turned. Also would make picking it up and towing it loud and obvious as the tires would probably screech the entire time.

You could also do a tilt alarm.

sriracha

First Name
Dubya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
Gap covers if you owe more on your loan than the "fair market value". So if you are underwater on your loan it will pay the "gap" between the market value and what you owe.
Hey - apologies, then that's not what I'm talking about. There is coverage for new cars where the insurer will pay the full msrp if the car is totalled. You pay extra for it as it's extra coverage. Perhaps 10 bucks a month?

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
With Lojack, if the car is moving and the key fob is not moving at the same speed at the same time, it starts sending out it's distress signal. Depending on where you are, they police cars have the equipment that pick up the distress signal. Some cities have helicopters that fly around trying to locate the distress signal from Lojack cars. Recovery time is around 15 minutes around here. It is strong enough to be picked up even if they park the car in an underground concrete parking garage. I spoke to someone that installs Lojack and they said there are 40 something places that they can install the Lojack device in the car so it may take some time for the thief to figure out where it is in your car, if they even know it has it.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Hey - apologies, then that's not what I'm talking about. There is coverage for new cars where the insurer will pay the full msrp if the car is totalled. You pay extra for it as it's extra coverage. Perhaps 10 bucks a month?
That's "replacement cost insurance". Quite expensive. You can pay for it progressively or upfront. If progressive, will be cheap in the first year and then become more expensive on a year over year basis. The increase is logical because, as the value of the car decreases, the insurance is covering a bigger and bigger potential loss. It's often better/cheaper to buy a 4 or 5 year plan from the onset (cost will be $1000 to 1500 for our cars).

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
southern ca sucks to own a modded honda. theyre stolen non stop and you always have to be paranoid. really the only thing you can do is hope you catch them in the act before they get it up on the flatbed and drive off.

get the ring door/camera installed at your house and download the app.

Deleted member 31314

As long as they total it after they steal I don't really care. That's what insurance is for, if you cheaped out on your insurance then it is what is. Now getting a car back after being stolen that isn't a total loss is another story...

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Silly thing to worry about, in my opinion. Thatā€™s why you have insurance.

B3B31011

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Get an AwareGps Tracker. All those brake or steering wheel bars can easily be broken with a Battery grider from home depot. Also your insurance is only gonna pay your bank everything youve paid and invested in your car is lost. A Gps will help you recover it in minutes

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Itā€™s a stick. So half of them canā€™t steal it haha.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If someone wants your car bad enough they can and will take it no matter what you do. You could do a kill switch or Lojack, but beyond that just relax, can't stress it so much because at the end of the day nothing is truly theft proof.
my 2005 Si Hatchback was stolen from my apartment parking lot in 2012. It clearly must have been a tilt bed truck as there was no broken glass and I doubt there was some electronic key duplication. This is what insurance is for and I got a generous settlement from Progressive, more than blue book value.

18 months later I got a summons as a witness to a court case for ā€˜VIN alterationā€™ so Iā€™m pretty sure they caught the guy, and he plead guilty because the hearing didnā€™t happen.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Best read your owners manual.
That switch is connected to the VSA - pull it up and hold it and all 4 brakes are fully applied. If you're moving you'll stop, suddenly.
Us "old timers" still have to pull the E-Brake handle which just applies the rear brakes and allows J-turns if you're so inclined.
I believe the e-brake just works in the rears, but if you activate it when you park it stays on.