Good to know the CTR can take a mechanical overrev...

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
... from clowns like this guy at time index 3:07. Curious what RPM the engine would be at in second gear at 85+ mph. If they borrowed the car for this video, the owner will now know about it. The CTR should have taken the Audi TTS from a roll too. And too bad the track was damp during testing.

Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're at like 6700 RPM in 2nd gear at 58 mph... at 85... I'd imagine you'd be close to 9000.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's strange with the auto rev match. I've done a nice ol 3-2 at 110km/h it shot right up to 9k (didn't watch the vid but maybe what happened). Scared the shit out of me as I was passing someone too. Cars had 2000km since then and I've had no issues.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
What does the perp say at 3:12?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's strange with the auto rev match. I've done a nice ol 3-2 at 110km/h it shot right up to 9k (didn't watch the vid but maybe what happened). Scared the shit out of me as I was passing someone too. Cars had 2000km since then and I've had no issues.
Auto rev match will not kick in under three circumstances: 1) the RPM is < 2000 RPM (comfort and sport mode), 2) the shift would cause an overrev, and 3) the shift is to 1st gear.

The ECU won’t rev over 7k on its own to begin with either (unless you’ve enabled overrevving though Hondata). This is actually a decent safety feature to stop you from money shifting while using the auto rev feature. Shift into gear, wait for the revs to build, release clutch. If the devs don’t build then something is wrong (or you were below the 2000 RPM).

Edit: reworded for clarity.

Last edited:

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Auto rev match will not kick in under three circumstances: 1) the RPM is < 2000 RPM (comfort and sport mode), 2) the shift would cause an overrev, and 3) the shift is to 1st gear.

The car won’t mechanically rev over 7k to begin with either (unless you’ve enabled overrevving though Hondata). This is actually a decent safety feature to stop you from money shifting while using the auto rev feature. Shift into gear, wait for the revs to build, release clutch. If the devs don’t build then something is wrong (or you were below the 2000 RPM).
Interesting, so it’s not possible to money shift on a factory Type R?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting, so it’s not possible to money shift on a factory Type R?
You can definitely money shift, but if you have the auto rev match on the computer won't rev match and that would alert someone paying attention that they may not be in the gear they expected.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You can definitely money shift, but if you have the auto rev match on the computer won't rev match and that would alert someone paying attention that they may not be in the gear they expected.
Ahhh okay, I figured that. Must’ve misread that.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That's what I thought as well. Idk it all happened so fast it's really a blur. Did I lift off the clutch? Maybe possibly a little. All I know was 3-4, got locked out of 4 as it does sometimes and it bounced me back but I was still pulling down. That's the only way I think I got in second.

As for the revs. The tach needle went THROUGH the digital clock/ambient temp which didn't even know that was possible as 8k revs is dead end and it went past that. Oops.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Did that in my 2018 si. Top of 3rd and threw it into 2nd. Fully released the clutch sounded like a red lining crotch rocket. Thought for sure i killed the engine, but I had the compression checked and everything was good across the board.
What I’ve done since to be more careful is changed my grip on the shifter by rotating it 180 degrees counter clock wise so you’re less prone to pulling towards you.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honestly when I first got my 2018 brand new it was so prone to locking out on 4th that it wasn't uncommon to find it trying to slip from 3rd to 2nd.

I'm sure anyone who has driven an fk8 for 25-30k on the freeway has had at least a scare or an "oh I just almost overrevved" moment.

I can't hate on the guy, type r has deceptively short gears, is prone to shifter issues with 2nd, 3rd and 4th, especially when the transmission is new, and in stock form it can take turns at exit speeds that can make it legitimately difficult to grab a gear physically.

At 56,000 miles today, I'm used to the gearbox, but I have to be actually careful, it's easy to absentmindedly be accelerating in 4th, and be way past 3rd when you most want to downshift to it.

The car is easy to pick up but there is a learning curve.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That's what I thought as well. Idk it all happened so fast it's really a blur. Did I lift off the clutch? Maybe possibly a little. All I know was 3-4, got locked out of 4 as it does sometimes and it bounced me back but I was still pulling down. That's the only way I think I got in second.

As for the revs. The tach needle went THROUGH the digital clock/ambient temp which didn't even know that was possible as 8k revs is dead end and it went past that. Oops.
Releasing the clutch is what caused the revs to climb past redline, not the rev match system.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you shift into 2nd instead of 4th and DON'T release the clutch, nothing will happen. The moment the clutches engages it's going to propel the engine to dangerous RPMs (which you'd feel and hopefully instantly depress the clutch pedal to minimize the damage).
Sponsored