Can you take the Type R through a car wash?

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I had mine in line at an automatic drive thru wash once. The owner ran out screaming and waving his arms right before I drove in. He told me that it'd probably tear my car up. So he had his wife handwash it for me instead.
:rofl:
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
@OP - Do what you want! Just be informed of the possible ramifications of that choice (RE: What everyone here is saying).

I personally went to car washes for years until I realized that the swirls and damage was their doing. Now I struggle to find time to hand wash it, or find a nonexistent effective touchless car wash in Seattle (might as well go to a do-it-yourself stall and spray it down with water).

You can always pay a detailer to fix the damage later if you want to sell, but understand that it will cost good $$$.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amazing what spending 45 minutes can do for your car. Thanks for making me get off my arse and do it myself. :D Took this picture at work this morning and was AMAZED at the shine in the morning sunlight!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Can you take the Type R through a car wash? 4C1F22B6-2BBB-467E-98EC-C8FFA7ED0CDD

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you ended up doing it yourself? Good job.

I hope you used the 8 bucket method, 10 different wash mitts, and pressure washer!!! lol - just kidding.

It normally takes me about 1-1.5 hours to do my exterior on the CTR.

I do a 3 bucket method - soap, rinse, wheel - and I've got a couple different mitts and rags for different areas - paint vs wheels. I do dry the car with my leaf blower which definitely makes things easier/cleaner.

Like a lot of you, this is my first time ever getting a new car too so I'm putting in a little extra effort with it.

I did have a 2004 STi when I lived in Iowa and during winter I had no other options but to either go to coin wash (I'd bring my own mitts and buckets) or do the touchless. I'd go to the touchless regularly during winter just because I felt it had to be better than nothing for getting some snow and salt off the car.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
How do you guys wash the wheels (especially the hard to reach spots on the inside) and what tools/cleaners do you use?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As mentioned, stick with the touchless ones.

I was really tired one day and took mine through one of the car washes. There were two, one of them being touchless. I was so tired, I misread the banner and went into the normal one...needless to say I almost had a heart attack as the I could hear it slamming against the wing :eek:

Luckily no damage or swirls...paint/finish is fine, but man, not making that mistake again!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you guys wash the wheels (especially the hard to reach spots on the inside) and what tools/cleaners do you use?
I have no issues when washing the rims, just use the sponge I have. I even clean off the calipers...especially the fronts...man those get dirty.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a small bucket just for the wheels.

I use an old bug scrubber pad to clean the wheel wells.
I use a Wheel Woolie brush to get inside the rims.
I use an old microfiber rag to clean the wheels themselves.

I need a tire brush and lugnut brush.

Cleaners - just water and my car wash soap.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As mentioned, stick with the touchless ones.

I was really tired one day and took mine through one of the car washes. There were two, one of them being touchless. I was so tired, I misread the banner and went into the normal one...needless to say I almost had a heart attack as the I could hear it slamming against the wing :eek:

Luckily no damage or swirls...paint/finish is fine, but man, not making that mistake again!
:eek:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Amazing what spending 45 minutes can do for your car. Thanks for making me get off my arse and do it myself. :D Took this picture at work this morning and was AMAZED at the shine in the morning sunlight!!
45mins! that's not so bad. It takes me like double that whenever I wash the CTR... The car has so many crevices water keeps pouring out and i'm not rich enough for a cr spotless lol.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Yall are crazy, touchless is perfectly fine. How does touchless swirl your paint? Ive been through 20 touchless all ready and zero issues not a mark or swirl. Now it wont clean it 100% only hand wash will. But touchless is perfectly fine. Most touchless even ph neutral their soap mixes now.. at least mine does.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol yeah and at the end of the day its a civic with a retail less then most soccer moms suvs. Not a lambo. I mean just saying.
Seems like @ctrmofo treats his CTR as well as his Lamborghini.

I like treating my CTR like it's special and means a lot to me... because I think it is special and it also means a lot to me. :)

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like @ctrmofo treats his CTR as well as his Lamborghini.

I like treating my CTR like it's special and means a lot to me... because I think it is special and it also means a lot to me. :)
lol true...i treat all of them the same way - special to ME, no one else. hell my 2011 honda fit sport manual which i had for 18 short months as a cool little commuter got the same treatment as lambo.

touchless is absolutely fine and should be how you can get a quick wash. never ever go through non-touchless...don't care how hi tech they claim the machines are. imagine thousands of cars going through same wash and those spinning bristles or the kind that hang and swings back and forth - one grain of sand and boom, your paint is dead. car dealers mostly have brush style washes and is no no. super car dealers will never do that and will only do hand wash, but i would never ever let anyone hand wash my lambo except me at home with 2 bucket system and power sprayer.

no touchless will ever be as clean as proper washing but is great for the winter climate where you need to rinse off the grime and road salt once a week.

in fact i would not let anyone hand wash my new beloved ctr but me with same 2 bucket system and power sprayer. in the end, i don't care what make or model - i treat them all the same because it's personal finances involved i just hate to go to waste and shouldn't be treated any less...imho.
Sponsored

Last edited: