Can you take the Type R through a car wash?

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
With the spinning brushes? Hell no man it'll destroy the wing at bare minimum. What about taking the car in the garage and hand washing it that way with a spray bottle and such.
I understand the perspective. And agreed on the ceramic coatings, though they run over $600.00 in my area.
But washing in a garage is tough to do when temps often average 20 degrees, or a bit less from early December through to March. Also, the garage is full of things that water would damage. Not to mention no way at all to clear the undercarriage of salt, etc. without running it through a car wash.

As far as a touchless car wash, the nearest one is an hour and fifteen minutes away. And it's closed on the colder days.

I love the car, but maybe I should have thought of this before buying one. My first thought was that the wing would be an issue. Previously, at least in the winter, I've always been able to take whatever car I owned to a car wash.
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Never in a billion years put this car through a wash that uses any kind of brushes or anything that touches the car.

Touchless automatic is fine. One of those stalls with a pressure wash wand is fine. Hand washing is fine. Never ever put it through any kind of automated wash with spinning brushes. Not in a billion years.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never in a billion years put this car through a wash that uses any kind of brushes or anything that touches the car.

Touchless automatic is fine. One of those stalls with a pressure wash wand is fine. Hand washing is fine. Never ever put it through any kind of automated wash with spinning brushes. Not in a billion years.
I can understand your position on this, and in a perfect world, I would completely agree. As I noted above, the hand wash/pressure wand locations close for most of the winter here because they freeze up. The only touchless car wash, which isn't particularly good, and does not truly get your car clean is an hour and fifteen minutes away. And hand washing in daily twenty degree, or lower weather just isn't feasible. For on thing, the water to the external spigots on the exterior of the home need to be shut off in late October/early November.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I've taken my car through all the different types of car washes. The worst thing that happened was a scrape on one of my wheels in an older touchless wash where it had a guide where to stop using the front tire. Been through spinning brush car washes (delta sonic) plenty of times and my wing is still attached. Lol.

I'd rather risk a few swirl marks in the paint than have salt sit on it. but that's just me.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would rather just pick up a garbage car for a grand or two, to get around in the winter. This way, you don't have to worry about buying winter tires/wheels for the CTR either. Would be stressful every winter season, wondering whether or not these clowns among us, can stop in time behind me at every stoplight or slowdown.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I've gone through a local "soft-cloth" automated car wash without any problems.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I do often enough. I don't do the ones with the rails for the wheels, the Cobblestone near me has a conveyor belt for the cars and they put on the brake.

I love my car, but for me, its for driving. The first mark is the worst, after that *shrugs*. A swirl mark (I don't have any), or a door dinge doesn't take away from the cars performance on or off the track, and doesn't lessen my enjoyment either.

Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've gone through a local "soft-cloth" automated car wash without any problems.
Yep, my 2019 PMM has no problems with soft-cloth auto wash. I opted for the Simoniz glasscoat when I bought it. I manually wash it using a mostly touch free method in the summer and take it to the auto wash when it starts to snow.

Sometimes in the winter after taking it to the wash it gets dirty again on the way home - in that case when I get home I fill up jugs of water and rise off the sides, front, and back then blow dry it.

My car probably has swirls - I dont really notice them. No damage or extra wear on the wing either from the auto wash.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks guys. I really appreciate knowing that a soft cloth or similar wash can handle the car.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The reason I like touchless car washes is they have to recycle the water per city regs, and the filters are quite expensive, so they just take them out, and consequently all the sand and dirt is in the high pressure water, so I get a nice clean layer of clear coat removed every wash!
I like the sand blasted paint look.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I understand the perspective. And agreed on the ceramic coatings, though they run over $600.00 in my area.
But washing in a garage is tough to do when temps often average 20 degrees, or a bit less from early December through to March. Also, the garage is full of things that water would damage. Not to mention no way at all to clear the undercarriage of salt, etc. without running it through a car wash.

As far as a touchless car wash, the nearest one is an hour and fifteen minutes away. And it's closed on the colder days.

I love the car, but maybe I should have thought of this before buying one. My first thought was that the wing would be an issue. Previously, at least in the winter, I've always been able to take whatever car I owned to a car wash.
Spray off every week or so with one of those booth spray washes may be the option. Or you could just say 'I don't care about my paint' and do whatever lol. Just a car man!
Sponsored