Full Stop for Honda Sensing CMBS?

pgears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX WOP
I thought I saw the info from few month ago that the CMBS will only apply partial braking when it detect object in front. But in the latest feature info, seems like it will stop completely. Can someone confirm that this true? And do I need to manually turn this feature on, everytime I go into the car?
Sponsored

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic Touring Demo Drive showing ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) with low-speed follow

are you referring to the above?

tnmz6i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
^^ CMBS and ACC are two different things. OP, in most circumstances, CMBS can bring the vehicle to a stop, either with or without warnings depending on the conditions if a collision is imminent.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
^^ CMBS and ACC are two different things. OP, in most circumstances, CMBS can bring the vehicle to a stop, either with or without warnings depending on the conditions if a collision is imminent.
Whoa there. The OM says:
The CMBS is designed to reduce the severity of an unavoidable collision. It does not prevent collision nor stop the vehicle automatically.

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
wow picking mine up monday but ive never owned a car with sensing. i would assume I wouldn't use this in a big city with stop/go traffic. its more for when you drive in the suburbs? where there aren't as many stop lights and cars etc.

I guess it would be good to use on the hwy for sure.

Thanks

tnmz6i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
Well, I guess I mis-interpreted Honda's website for the Civic which states: "Helps bring the Civic to a stop when it senses an otherwise unavoidable collision with a vehicle detected in front of you." I guess "helps" doesn't mean that it will stop with no driver intervention. I'd really like to see it in action.

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the EX with Sensing. My understanding of the CMBS was that it would lightly apply the brakes with a warning and lock seat belts if brakes were not applied at a certain distance by the driver. The salesman seemed very sure that the car wouldn't completely stop itself, only try to lessen the damage from a potential collision if the driver were to not stop the car.

I noticed the warning the other day on my drive home. I was making a right turn at the next intersection with a dedicated right turn lane that was clear. The forward-moving traffic lane was stopped and my car gave me the audible and visual warning to apply the brakes ASAP. I was still a fair distance away from the stopped car, but since I was moving to the right turn lane, I did not need to apply the brakes. The car itself did not forcefully try to slow me down.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I got a warning to brake a few times as I got fairly close to a car in front of me but at a very low speed.
You can set how sensitive it is.

AAC will bring you all the way to a complete stop if needed though. Can confirm that directly. It's both awesome and weird.

OP
OP

pgears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX WOP
I got a warning to brake a few times as I got fairly close to a car in front of me but at a very low speed.
You can set how sensitive it is.

AAC will bring you all the way to a complete stop if needed though. Can confirm that directly. It's both awesome and weird.
Whats the minimum speed required for the acc to function?

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats the minimum speed required for the acc to function?
As far as I'm aware, there is none. It is advertised with low-speed follow, so I imagine any speed is alright.

You basically set what top speed you want to go (just like regular CC) and if a vehicle in front of you at the set distance is going lower than that, it matches their speed. If they come to a stop, the car will stop itself. Once they start moving, so will your car.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
As far as I'm aware, there is none. It is advertised with low-speed follow, so I imagine any speed is alright.

You basically set what top speed you want to go (just like regular CC) and if a vehicle in front of you at the set distance is going lower than that, it matches their speed. If they come to a stop, the car will stop itself. Once they start moving, so will your car.
I will say the car is either reluctant and I got impatient or just won't start agin from a full stop unless you accelerate.

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will say the car is either reluctant and I got impatient or just won't start agin from a full stop unless you accelerate.
Was your distance setting at the furthest length? I could see that causing it to sit and wait for the vehicle ahead to move the required distance. I ha e it in mine but have only used it on the highway with no heavy traffic.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Very possible.
I've set its to various lengths to see how it reacts.
So I don't know for certain but it definitely too, a while and traffic behind me was incoming.

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very possible.
I've set its to various lengths to see how it reacts.
So I don't know for certain but it definitely too, a while and traffic behind me was incoming.
Hmm... Interesting. I'll have to try it out if I remember to set it at low speed haha.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
The whole experience is quite weird.

I get why they let you set the follow distance but I am annoyed they don't take the time to explain the concept of physics.
I get the feeling the minimum is below the actual distance it would take to bring you to a full stop and prevent an accident from whateve speed you're at.
But that people don't generally think of things in that way.
Sponsored