mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
To those of you who has Honda Sensing, can you please share your experience with the various features of Honda Sensing?

I test drove the Touring, HB Sport and Si. Although the first 2 trims had Honda Sensing, I never had a chance to try this feature.

I have to choose between Touring or Si. This means that I have to choose between Honda Sensing and 6MT.
Sponsored

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I find the sensing, particularly the adaptive cruise, to be a very welcome set of features. The other features also seem to work well and I have only had a couple of minor issues with the emergency braking. I thoroughly recommend it. Unless there is a reason you want the slightly better performance from the SI then go with the touring. Personally I have rarely (and I mean only once or twice) needed anything approaching the full potential of the 1.5 CVT in terms of acceleration. Even passing at highway speeds I usually only need about 1/2 throttle.

PilotZero

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan (totaled) 2017 Type R (#322)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to choose between Touring or Si. This means that I have to choose between Honda Sensing and 6MT.
It's an appropriate choice. One gives you more manual control and the other gives you more automatic.

I had the Touring and I loved the adaptive cruise with lane-keeping assist. It was a beautiful sight to behold and it made me feel very safe. Then I got hit while I was stationary in a stopped lane. Go figure.

Now I am in the market for a new car and I will go with the Si (or a Type R if I can even find one). Honda Sensing was fun but it made me a lazy driver. I turned on cruise+LKA every time I got on the freeway because of how cool it was and although it might have actually increased safety, I learned that safety on the road is an illusion as long as there are other drivers behind you.

So I like Honda Sensing. I think it's awesome and can't wait for it to get more and more advanced so that self-driving cars make the road completely safe. Until then I don't need it and no longer want it. The people who have rear-ended me should DEFINITELY get it, though.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I like it, it's far from flawless, and it's really at its best in limited situations (extended highway driving).

I also almost immediately got in an accident, had nothing to do with sensing, a deer just jumped out on my car.

I'm not sure if it's worth the amount extra it will cost, depends on how much driving you do that's relatively boring highway runs.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I think Honda Sensing is great. It is not essential, but nice to have.
I like the ACC, Lane Keeping Assist is pretty nice, and the CMBS may helped me once when somebody slowed down quickly to turn right.

Like others have said, it's not perfect. Traffic around me is pretty light. I would guess it works better in lighter traffic than heavier traffic.

Barry.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
The thing about it in traffic, is that even the "close" follow setting is a few car lengths back at normal highway speed. So you'll have people wanting to get around you even as you're keeping up with traffic, just because the car is following at a safe distance instead of how most people drive.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
6MT all the way (IMHO). These are two totally different philosophies so if you're confused I don't know what to say?
On my work commute, I drive about 1-1.5 hours one way. All highway traffic and there is about 30-40 minutes strip where I would go no more than 15-20 MPH. So, the adaptive cruise control with low speed follow would help.
On other times, I would love the 6MT and the extra performance to have some fun.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
On my work commute, I drive about 1-1.5 hours one way. All highway traffic and there is about 30-40 minutes strip where I would go no more than 15-20 MPH. So, the adaptive cruise control with low speed follow would help.
On other times, I would love the 6MT and the extra performance to have some fun.
I have to say, for me at least, the low speed follow is the worst performing feature of the Sensing suite. If you are at speed, and the traffic ahead of you is stopping, Sensing will wait too long to apply the brakes. Then it will nearly slam the brakes on, causing the car behind you to panic break also.
Also, if the vehicle ahead of you is a lifted truck or semi-truck, then the sensors do not always detect the vehicle, causing you to suddenly accelerate into the truck. Terrifying to say the least.

I use ACC and LKAS everyday on my commute, but I disable ACC whenever traffic is slowed.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I dunno.

I've been stuck in some some nasty traffic with a stage 3 clutch and I feel like a freaking champion when I get to my destination, sore leg and all.

Consider it an initiation.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
CVT because I still need CMBS
If you are at speed, and the traffic ahead of you is stopping, Sensing will wait too long to apply the brakes. Then it will nearly slam the brakes on, causing the car behind you to panic break also.
You need proof that this perception is equal to reality first as in make a poll and see what others think. It would be worthy to know the truth. 1 data point is not enough.

I've used it once and found it to be on point and brakes too early for me even.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I have to say, for me at least, the low speed follow is the worst performing feature of the Sensing suite. If you are at speed, and the traffic ahead of you is stopping, Sensing will wait too long to apply the brakes. Then it will nearly slam the brakes on, causing the car behind you to panic break also.
Also, if the vehicle ahead of you is a lifted truck or semi-truck, then the sensors do not always detect the vehicle, causing you to suddenly accelerate into the truck. Terrifying to say the least.

I use ACC and LKAS everyday on my commute, but I disable ACC whenever traffic is slowed.
Really? The feature I really want is ACC with Low Speed Follow. I was hoping it would help me to navigate slow highway traffic. Like I said, every work day I have to go through a strip of traffic of 30-40 minutes with speed no more than 15-20 MPH.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To those of you who has Honda Sensing, can you please share your experience with the various features of Honda Sensing?...
As outsiders ('12 Si) we're in love with the Honda Civic Si MT and won't consider an upgrade until Sensing (including by-gear ACC down to (about) 10 mph, although 25 is acceptable) is available for the Si or CTR - likely in the '19 but hopefully '18 model.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
As outsiders ('12 Si) we're in love with the Honda Civic Si MT and won't consider an upgrade until Sensing (including by-gear ACC down to (about) 10 mph, although 25 is acceptable) is available for the Si or CTR - likely in the '19 but hopefully '18 model.
Does this ACC with LSF only work with speed over 25 MPH?

** Update ** Just read that the ACC would work at speed between 25-90 MPH. I guess this feature would not help me then.

Last edited:

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Does this ACC with LSF only work with speed over 25 MPH?

** Update ** Just read that the ACC would work at speed between 25-90 MPH. I guess this feature would not help me then.
Even if all you use is the default CMBS which you do not have to press a button for and is built in to Honda Sensing vehicles, that is more that worth a grand. Hope you kinda get this.\

My bone to pick is make BSP and front and atleast rear parking sensors and make them standard on all Sensing.
Sponsored