cococly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
100% City Driving in Canada.

9.2L/100km.

If I driving during rush hour, 10.5L/100km.

STILL 30-40% better than my old Subarus lol

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Currently at ~1200km odo, just got the car a couple weeks ago... I hit 9.0L/100km with basically 99% highway driving over ~450km (cruise around 130), reading off the trip computer.

City driving has been around 10-11L/100km.

I wonder if I'm upshifting too late (typically around 3000-4000rpm), going to play around and see how much I can increase the fuel economy by...

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Currently at ~1200km odo, just got the car a couple weeks ago... I hit 9.0L/100km with basically 99% highway driving over ~450km (cruise around 130), reading off the trip computer.

City driving has been around 10-11L/100km.

I wonder if I'm upshifting too late (typically around 3000-4000rpm), going to play around and see how much I can increase the fuel economy by...
City I can get 7-8, short shift to 5th/6th then turn on cruise control. In rush hour, I get into 1st with just clutch and no gas as well

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
City I can get 7-8, short shift to 5th/6th then turn on cruise control. In rush hour, I get into 1st with just clutch and no gas as well
Wow, 7-8 in the city is pretty good... will play around with short shifting more.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wow, 7-8 in the city is pretty good... will play around with short shifting more.
Yeah! That's in R mode too.

I find no difference in comfort and R for mpg as in comfort I have to give more gas anyway to get up to speed

65-70kmh cruising is sweet spot for city cruising.

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
My highest mpg is ....

Honda Civic 10th gen fuel economy of the R 20190407_152130

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Not gonna lie... I'm floored by the fuel economy of the CTR.

I was also considering an STi prior to picking up the CTR, but a major turn off was with how horrendous the fuel economy can be on that car. Friends of mine say the tank holds 65L of premium fuel, and there were times they only got 300km to that entire tank, in the winter. That is horrendously bad fuel economy. On 65L of fuel in the CTR, I could probably do 700km!!!

darksi08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
Not going to lie, this thread has me a bit excited. Gas mileage has never been much of a concern of mine when buying cars - it's always just been the icing on the cake. I've had quite a few cars, and, sadly, I've gotten the best gas mileage in my 2016 M235i - around 22mpg average. I do almost all city driving, with some highway on occasion.

For reference, my current car, a 2018 Audi RS3, is currently averaging about 17mpg. For something that's 400hp and AWD, it certainly isn't bad (especially compared with the 18mpg average I had an all 3 of my STIs, a 2004, 2013, and 2018), but leaves a bit to be desired, especially with such a small gas tank. It's time for the Audi to go, as it honestly just feels like a liability. It's definitely not my first luxury marque (Between my wife and I, we've had a few, most recently a 2011 IS F, the M235i, 2016 AMG GLA45, 2016 CLA450 AMG), but people treat you completely different on the road around here. Much more aggressive, etc. It's actually the reason my wife ended up in a VW instead of something else, she was being bullied constantly in her Mercedes. Add to that the reliability issues, maintenance costs (pads and rotors for those 8-piston Brembos are not cheap!), and general garbage design, and I'm ready for a more 'pedestrian' marque again. :)

My wife actually manages around 26mpg average in her Mk7.5 Golf R - also almost 100% city driving. I've thought about a Golf R, but I find the DSG version a bit too bland and boring to drive, and the manual trans version is just plain slow in first gear. I've been pining for another STI, but I've been there and done that a few times, along with the fact that I've never seen better than 22mph highway with any of mine (and 18mpg average), so, while I've danced with the idea of an S209, I'm just not sure I want to drop what will probably be $60k on one. Outside of those two... there really aren't very many cars in the class!

Having sat in the Type R at a dealer with an insane $15k markup, I'm pretty much sold already. The CTR probably has the best seats I've sat in for ages, fantastic seating position, etc. Reminded me a lot of my 2008 Si, in all of the best ways.

Anyway, I digress - gas mileage is pretty stellar, and definitely goes a long way to sell me the car! If I can keep my foot out of it a bit (doubtful), I'll definitely enjoy my less-frequent trips to the gas station.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I can summarize in one sentence the fuel economy of the CTR.

"Better than the competition".

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
As I said previously: You guys are missing the point! What should be considered is SPB not MPG. SPB=Smiles Per Block!

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Not going to lie, this thread has me a bit excited. Gas mileage has never been much of a concern of mine when buying cars - it's always just been the icing on the cake. I've had quite a few cars, and, sadly, I've gotten the best gas mileage in my 2016 M235i - around 22mpg average. I do almost all city driving, with some highway on occasion.

For reference, my current car, a 2018 Audi RS3, is currently averaging about 17mpg. For something that's 400hp and AWD, it certainly isn't bad (especially compared with the 18mpg average I had an all 3 of my STIs, a 2004, 2013, and 2018), but leaves a bit to be desired, especially with such a small gas tank. It's time for the Audi to go, as it honestly just feels like a liability. It's definitely not my first luxury marque (Between my wife and I, we've had a few, most recently a 2011 IS F, the M235i, 2016 AMG GLA45, 2016 CLA450 AMG), but people treat you completely different on the road around here. Much more aggressive, etc. It's actually the reason my wife ended up in a VW instead of something else, she was being bullied constantly in her Mercedes. Add to that the reliability issues, maintenance costs (pads and rotors for those 8-piston Brembos are not cheap!), and general garbage design, and I'm ready for a more 'pedestrian' marque again. :)

My wife actually manages around 26mpg average in her Mk7.5 Golf R - also almost 100% city driving. I've thought about a Golf R, but I find the DSG version a bit too bland and boring to drive, and the manual trans version is just plain slow in first gear. I've been pining for another STI, but I've been there and done that a few times, along with the fact that I've never seen better than 22mph highway with any of mine (and 18mpg average), so, while I've danced with the idea of an S209, I'm just not sure I want to drop what will probably be $60k on one. Outside of those two... there really aren't very many cars in the class!

Having sat in the Type R at a dealer with an insane $15k markup, I'm pretty much sold already. The CTR probably has the best seats I've sat in for ages, fantastic seating position, etc. Reminded me a lot of my 2008 Si, in all of the best ways.

Anyway, I digress - gas mileage is pretty stellar, and definitely goes a long way to sell me the car! If I can keep my foot out of it a bit (doubtful), I'll definitely enjoy my less-frequent trips to the gas station.
If you care about miles per tank, here are two more tips (that I take no responsibility for, use at your own risk). The tank is small on the Type R so you'll still go to the gas station often unless you push it just a bit. If you drive down to 0 miles left on range and fill the tank until the filler clicks off, I get about 10.8 gallons. However, from other threads, there's about 1.7 gallons (usable) in the tank when the range is zero. That's more than 40 miles of mixed driving. So you can go perhaps 10-15 miles past zero and STILL have more than 25 miles left. I don't do this regularly, but knowing I can go 15 over (and still having reserve) means that occasionally I'll go 5-10 miles past zero.

The other thing is that you should NOT top off. Everyone who says that it's bad for your car is CORRECT, listen to them. That being said, the real problem is that when you fill up, the petrol is cold. If you go park in the sun, that fuel expands and if you topped off, will go to the charcoal canister. However, if you topped off just a little (like 0.4 gallons or less) because you know that you'll be driving 10+ miles IMMEDIATELY after filling, then you'll burn that extra gas before it warms and expands and when you park you should be fine. 0.4 gallons will give you another 10 miles of range. Also, the filler clicks off faster when you hold it all the way on. You might try filling fast until it clicks off, then squeezing the handling very gently and it will click off again a bit later. It's up to you to decide whether this is "really" topping off, or just making sure it doesn't click off too soon.

Between those two points you can get a few more miles per tank (20-25 in a pinch, probably more like 10-15 on average because I don't push it on every tank) I go 260-300 miles between fills now, depending on the weather (cold means worse mpg) and how much city driving I'm doing.

By the way, the Type R is fantastic, it's fun, lightweight, and agile, but somehow is also a great GT car like a BMW. I daily drive mine (400 miles a week, about) and have done several road trips. (I have 10k miles now)
Sponsored

Last edited: