Is it possible to detune for fuel economy?

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR has torque tables for each gear and mode. If you drive with a heavy foot then reducing torque for comfort mode would help fuel economy. Personally I just make all the torque tables the same so you don't have the annoying difference in torque between comfort and sport/r mode. (The same between modes that is; you always want less torque in 1st & 2nd gears to aid traction).

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR has torque tables for each gear and mode. If you drive with a heavy foot then reducing torque for comfort mode would help fuel economy. Personally I just make all the torque tables the same so you don't have the annoying difference in torque between comfort and sport/r mode. (The same between modes that is; you always want less torque in 1st & 2nd gears to aid traction).
exactly what I was thinking we could do...with...Hondata in my car ;)... I love having a mode that's noticeably softer than another mode... heck, I'd even want to have "Sport" drive like normal and +R be full-on beast mode!!

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
The CTR has electronically controlled boost correct? If so a good tuner can easily make adjustments for MPG and should have multiple of mapping’s anyways.

My daily runs boost from 22 lbs to 14 lbs... depending on which I’m looking for at the time. Drastically helps highway mileage when you are in boost with the slightest of touches.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The short answer is no. You can reduce boost, but that is the same as just taking it easier on the throttle a little. The engine runs stoichiometric lambda below about 3500 rpm, so there's no gain in efficiency there. Cam angles and VTEC are optimized from the factory. So no, you're not going to see any real gains in fuel economy from tuning.
Don’t you mean VTC?

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
This gave me the answer I was looking for, thanks. I had been searching the forums to see if I could make my Comfort and Sport mode throttle maps the same, as I do not like the throttle deadness of the Comfort mode even though sometimes the road conditions warrant the Comfort suspension setting. Now if I could only change the weight of the steering too...

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
On a different subject. I just checked the insurance rate and it's the same as a SI Coupe. :hmm:

Seriously CTR owners, does this car really make a good DD? Will it drive pretty much the same with 18" wheels? I'm seriously considering it now. I'd be leaving the roof and sensing wish-list unchecked, but I probably can live without them.
Haven't driven the SI so have no comparison there.

Have had mine since October. Debating getting another car or DD the CTR. Elected to DD and am so glad I did.

I put 18's on for my winters and it definitely softens it.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I put 18's on for my winters and it definitely softens it.
How did you went about selecting 18"s to match the factory setup? I understand the 20"s had odd offset.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
How did you went about selecting 18"s to match the factory setup? I understand the 20"s had odd offset.
There are a number of forum posts regarding wheel/tire setups. You can also lookup up wheel/tire combos on TireRack. I wound up buying mine from TireRack. They mount, balance, etc and ship them to you or an installer.

Also, I can't remember the name of the site offhand, but there is a site out there that if you put in wheel and tire dimensions you can compare your setup to factory. You won't get an identical setup if you're putting a different size wheel, obviously, but you can make some of the differences more negligible depending on what you pick.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Thanks for the links. I followed another CTR wheel/tire thread when the CTR first came out, but I gave up on it after reading posts after posts of people just shoehorning in close but not so close fitting 18s and 19s. I'm gonna have to read the above threads to see if there're better fitting wheels available now. I don't mind getting into a '20 CTR if I can find good fitting 19s that can fit good A/S tires.

Anyone know if the warranty will be void if you run different size wheels?
Sponsored