fuel economy of the R

darksi08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
If you care about miles per tank, here are two more tips (that I take no responsibility for, use at your own risk). The tank is small on the Type R so you'll still go to the gas station often unless you push it just a bit. If you drive down to 0 miles left on range and fill the tank until the filler clicks off, I get about 10.8 gallons. However, from other threads, there's about 1.7 gallons (usable) in the tank when the range is zero. That's more than 40 miles of mixed driving. So you can go perhaps 10-15 miles past zero and STILL have more than 25 miles left. I don't do this regularly, but knowing I can go 15 over (and still having reserve) means that occasionally I'll go 5-10 miles past zero.

The other thing is that you should NOT top off. Everyone who says that it's bad for your car is CORRECT, listen to them. That being said, the real problem is that when you fill up, the petrol is cold. If you go park in the sun, that fuel expands and if you topped off, will go to the charcoal canister. However, if you topped off just a little (like 0.4 gallons or less) because you know that you'll be driving 10+ miles IMMEDIATELY after filling, then you'll burn that extra gas before it warms and expands and when you park and you should be fine. 0.4 gallons will give you another 10 miles of range. Also, the filler clicks off faster when you hold it all the way on. You might try filling fast until it clicks off, then squeezing the handling very gently and it will click off again a bit later. It's up to you to decide whether this is "really" topping off, or just making sure it doesn't click off too soon.

Between those two points you can get a few more miles per tank (20-25 in a pinch, probably more like 10-15 on average because I don't push it on every tank) I go 260-300 miles between fills now, depending on the weather (cold means worse mpg) and how much city driving I'm doing.

By the way, the Type R is fantastic, it's fun, lightweight, and agile, but somehow is also a great GT car like a BMW. I daily drive mine (400 miles a week, about) and have done several road trips. (I have 10k miles now)
Yeah, I'm not worried about how often I'd fill up in the CTR. My tank is about the same size - my average fill is around 11 gallons - but that means that I generally get well under 200 miles per tank. It's pretty bad, really. If I add a bit of E85 into the mix (the RS3 responds well to around E35 or so, and has been shown to add timing - people running E35 on an otherwise stock car are running mid-11's), that mileage goes down closer to ~15mpg. It's abysmal.

And WildBilly, same concept here, I just call it Smiles Per Gallon! The RS3 has its upsides, for sure - fast as hell, sounds amazing, and honestly, very engaging for a car with a DSG - but it does not handle on-par with an STI, and I very much miss rowing the gears... As such, likely fewer smiles per gallon. :)
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Yeah, I'm not worried about how often I'd fill up in the CTR. My tank is about the same size - my average fill is around 11 gallons - but that means that I generally get well under 200 miles per tank. It's pretty bad, really. If I add a bit of E85 into the mix (the RS3 responds well to around E35 or so, and has been shown to add timing - people running E35 on an otherwise stock car are running mid-11's), that mileage goes down closer to ~15mpg. It's abysmal.

And WildBilly, same concept here, I just call it Smiles Per Gallon! The RS3 has its upsides, for sure - fast as hell, sounds amazing, and honestly, very engaging for a car with a DSG - but it does not handle on-par with an STI, and I very much miss rowing the gears... As such, likely fewer smiles per gallon. :)
Going from a 2.5 liter WRX to the CTR I noticed that the CTR has a much wider power band and a much better transmission. It manages to feel sharper and more purposeful while also feeling more relaxed. In other words, you can enjoy a manual, but one that's very easy to drive because you don't have to row the gears unless you are on a backroad.

91 octane in the bay area is about 4.32 in some Chevron stations. Ahem, a carbon tax good enough to help save the planet would probably only equate to about 10-20 cents a gallon...

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going from a 2.5 liter WRX to the CTR I noticed that the CTR has a much wider power band and a much better transmission. It manages to feel sharper and more purposeful while also feeling more relaxed. In other words, you can enjoy a manual, but one that's very easy to drive because you don't have to row the gears unless you are on a backroad.

91 octane in the bay area is about 4.32 in some Chevron stations. Ahem, a carbon tax good enough to help save the planet would probably only equate to about 10-20 cents a gallon...
That's $4.88 for 87 :)

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
No that’s USD, I did the conversion for y’all. It’s $6.40 a gallon cdn here in Vancouver.
It's $1.35-1.45 (give or take) in eastern Ontario for 91 octane, 1.17 - 1.25 for 87.

Thankfully I have multiple fuel savings cards to bring 91 down to ~1.30 (or somewhere in that ball park).

Have a bunch of family in Vancouver and it never surprises me how absolutely bonkers gas prices are there. I was returning a rental to YVR in early 2018 and had no time to gas elsewhere, the Petro on Grant Mocconachie Way was 1.55 for 87... kmn

(US note: that's ~$5.30CAD / ~$3.98USD per gallon assuming $1.40CAD/L... And gas prices are going to keep going up as we head into summer...)

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
After tuning my car and selecting Stage 1 with downpipe .

Honda Civic 10th gen fuel economy of the R 20190413_142150

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
25-27 mpg during daily commute. i've seen 36 on a drive. looks like 30-31 highway average for me so far... about to hit 1000 miles on the car.

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
Toronto morning rush hour on the 401. I love this car.
Edit: just realized im in the wrong sub... Rip my si

Honda Civic 10th gen fuel economy of the R p6zIwev

Last edited:

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So far my R has been getting about 75% of the Si's mpg. Not bad, but it feels like the tank runs out a lot faster.
Sponsored