OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've found that if I plug in my phone via a cable, I need to make sure blue tooth is turned off. All my issues (which have been minimal) have gone away.

Others have said the grounding screw has poor contact and if you remove it, re-prep that metal, and re-attach their problems go away. Neither are guaranteed, but both have helped at least some folks.
The ground, while most likely a good thing to do, didn't even come close to solving the issue...for me... And if you turn off Blue tooth, you can't use the semi-worthless Honda Link app...

No, I think @NapalmEnema has the winner...
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You may just have handed out the golden ticket (although, I've been fooled before)...but I stopped/started a dozen times today, followed that sequence...and all was great. If it does that consistently for a few days...you win the Internet.
I'm stubborn and tried a bunch of combos before I took a sledgehammer to the head unit.

It was getting close to hammer time before I got this sequence figured out though lolol!

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Reasonable cost cutting is one thing, but this is ridiculous. They really think someone set on buying a Civic will all of a sudden be like "ahh fuck it" and walk out of the dealer just because the car price is a few more dollars due to better, more reliable and future-proof components? I mean this is like the main user interface to the car.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
My new head unit is set to be installed tomorrow morning. I stopped using my iPhone with the old unit, but it crashes just using a flash drive, or just using the GPS maps software. No iPhone, no car play, yet no work.

Someone suggest that I ask for the old, removed part to be sure they actually switch it out, so I'll request that (I assume that's my right even for a warranty repair). I figure the new unit may still have Car Play problems, but I at least want the GPS to work. After a crash, it shows me in the SF Bay or elsewhere a few miles from the actual location. Fingers crossed!

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My new head unit is set to be installed tomorrow morning. I stopped using my iPhone with the old unit, but it crashes just using a flash drive, or just using the GPS maps software. No iPhone, no car play, yet no work.

Someone suggest that I ask for the old, removed part to be sure they actually switch it out, so I'll request that (I assume that's my right even for a warranty repair). I figure the new unit may still have Car Play problems, but I at least want the GPS to work. After a crash, it shows me in the SF Bay or elsewhere a few miles from the actual location. Fingers crossed!
If it's warranty work, then pretty sure they won't give the old one back. Since a)the work is "free", and b)they may want to hold on to the defective hardware to "investigate".

CTR_TCB

First Name
Huey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
Country flag
I would pay a handsome fee for fast system, reliability and wireless CarPlay!
I have been using CPLAY2air wireless adapter to give me wireless CarPlay. It has worked reliably for a year now and still going strong. The connection to your phone once you start the car is between 15-30sec (it varies) but once connected I never experience any disconnection. I have Waze on my Iphone8 and connection/functions are fine. Once every blue moon if something is odd or slow a reset of the infotainment system clears it up (I probably had to do that perhaps 2 times over the last year of ownership -- very very rare). Its pretty much plug n forget. Lmk of you have any questions -- btw I am not affiliated with the company and the unit is plugged into '18 CTR, and Idk what my firmware is but it's all factory.

mim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2011 Nissan 370z
Country flag
, but it crashes just using a flash drive,
Mine would crash regularly with a flash drive until I put my flash drive on an extension cable. Apparently a flash drive overheats if it's plugged directly into the port.

I also figured out that if I left my steering wheel Display/Information button on the Audio menu when I start or kill the engine, it wouldn't remember which song I was on. Starting the car put me back at the first song on the flash drive every time. I've made a habit of leaving it on the tachometer display and then flipping to audio display while driving, and then flipping back to tachometer before I kill the engine.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What issue are you having? If you are having issues with getting CarPlay to work consistently - I figured out the best sequence -

Turn on car
Unlock phone
Plug in phone
Hit HOME on the top left on the head unit screen
Hit 'Carplay' icon bottom left

Done.

If I do it any other way it's all messed up most of the time - I can't get to the carplay map screen etc.. The way above - consistent every time.

I think you're 100% correct. If I follow this to the letter...everything is happy...if I deviate from it at all...all hell breaks loose...

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
headunit issues for all fk8s honestly , if you are trying to run apple car play, make sure you are on the latest iOS update. that helps, also for music i just stick to Bluetooth , when i need the GPS i use car play.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
headunit issues for all fk8s honestly , if you are trying to run apple car play, make sure you are on the latest iOS update. that helps, also for music i just stick to Bluetooth , when i need the GPS i use car play.
19+ head units still have issues. Honda actually did release a firmware update for 17-18 models that fixed a lot of random DC issues (there is a TSB for it, only applies to 17-18 Civics though). I debated updating to the 2020+ model when it was announced because LogR sounded really cool... But then I remembered all the BS CarPlay stability issues my 18 had before the update and said naw...

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
19+ head units still have issues. Honda actually did release a firmware update for 17-18 models that fixed a lot of random DC issues (there is a TSB for it, only applies to 17-18 Civics though). I debated updating to the 2020+ model when it was announced because LogR sounded really cool... But then I remembered all the BS CarPlay stability issues my 18 had before the update and said naw...
alot of local 20-21 owners in my area have the same issues but i havent had it happen to me for a few months. im more annoyed by the little rattle my tweeter speakers are making lol
logR app is ehhh , i dont track my car so its not needed for me. its good for seeing oil & intake temps though for those owners that are staying stock. since hondata app & ktuner already show you temps.

Jess Wilson

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4L 2019
Country flag
I have been using CPLAY2air wireless adapter to give me wireless CarPlay. It has worked reliably for a year now and still going strong. The connection to your phone once you start the car is between 15-30sec (it varies) but once connected I never experience any disconnection. I have Waze on my Iphone8 and connection/functions are fine. Once every blue moon if something is odd or slow a reset of the infotainment system clears it up (I probably had to do that perhaps 2 times over the last year of ownership -- very very rare). Its pretty much plug n forget. Lmk of you have any questions -- btw I am not affiliated with the company and the unit is plugged into '18 CTR, and Idk what my firmware is but it's all factory.
I was going to get one cplay2air too. But why I saw so many negative comments on apple tech talk? I guess their product should be ok, not as bad as they said, after all so many people have bought it. But Anyway I didn't want to take this risk to get it, so finally I bought another brand following their good reviews on youtube:https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay. Received and installed it on this Monday, so far so good.

OP
OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was going to get one cplay2air too. But why I saw so many negative comments on apple tech talk? I guess their product should be ok, not as bad as they said, after all so many people have bought it. But Anyway I didn't want to take this risk to get it, so finally I bought another brand following their good reviews on youtube:https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay. Received and installed it on this Monday, so far so good.
Hate to break it to you, but it's the same company....so...if the Cplay2air truly are crap...this is just a rebrand. Keep us posted as to any issues or if it's awesome.

CTR_TCB

First Name
Huey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
Country flag
Hate to break it to you, but it's the same company....so...if the Cplay2air truly are crap...this is just a rebrand. Keep us posted as to any issues or if it's awesome.
CPlay2air user here just want to update that the unit is still going strong with no problem for me. I installed for my brother (another ‘18 CTR) and friend (non-Honda) and theirs also experience no problem. Again I’m not associated w the company.. just sharing in hope of helping some Civiv-brothers out. FYI I dropped my ‘18 CTR in for service two weeks ago and the dealership did NOT mention any headunit firmware upgrade SB.
Sponsored