Head unit issues

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Ask Ford owners (former Ford owner raising his hand here!!) how much improvement there was in MyFord Touch in subsequent years. Regularly mentioned as shit in virtually every expert review for years. And if you had one of the buggy ones, you were SOL. The official Ford response to me was that it was a 'convenience' not a safety issue.

I haven't had any problems in the Si yet, and I don't find the response slow enough to be an issue.
I owned a 2012 Mustang GT and 2016 Focus ST. Mustang had the old Sync (worked fine) and the ST had MFT (after all the bugs had been worked out) and it was solid if unspectacular. At least with Ford you can download updates from their customer care website and install them yourself. Not many manufacturers give you that option. Does Honda have a means to update your system's firmware without going to the dealer? I don't think so.

Now my Golf R has a very, very good system and that's my reference point to which the Civic's system is poor in comparison. The problem with the infotainment system in the Civic is that it's low res for this day and age and buggy considering it's one of the simplest infotainment systems out there. Anyone that thinks it's a good system hasn't been driving many other brands.
Sponsored

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I owned a 2012 Mustang GT and 2016 Focus ST. Mustang had the old Sync (worked fine) and the ST had MFT (after all the bugs had been worked out) and it was solid if unspectacular. At least with Ford you can download updates from their customer care website and install them yourself. Not many manufacturers give you that option. Does Honda have a means to update your system's firmware without going to the dealer? I don't think so.

Now my Golf R has a very, very good system and that's my reference point to which the Civic's system is poor in comparison. The problem with the infotainment system in the Civic is that it's low res for this day and age and buggy considering it's one of the simplest infotainment systems out there. Anyone that thinks it's a good system hasn't been driving many other brands.
I had no problems with the regular old SYNC in my '12 GT. It was the Escape that that ended my dealings with Ford (more than just the MFT). I kept reading the forums for a couple years and people were still bitching about upgrades not working or fixing one thing and breaking others. And all the while, some folks had no issues at all. Anyway, not the place for a Ford discussion.

Infotainment to me is plug in the USB and leave it alone. Sound could be better, but it'll do. Android Auto works just fine for maps. Graphics aren't as good as MFT was, but everything works (so far)... and even if it could be better, the main reason I'm not gonna wig out about it is that it wasn't a spendy upgrade.