Fabric to leather armrest and center console swap

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I've seen this asked numerous times in several different threads, but just wanted to share the results of my cloth armrest swap to leather. My car is a 2019 Sedan and the parts are different for the Coupe from what I understand. And yes, the parts are a direct fit from an Insight. Same as a Civic, just a lot cheaper!

I bought everything from OEMPARTSOURCE.com and didn't have to wait for more than a week. Something was backordered but it still arrived on time.

Anyways, super easy upgrade and totally worth not having sandpaper on my forearms all day. Hope this helps the community.

Note* Just FYI, the stitching is gray and not red. Personally, I don't mind at all since it still matches the gray accents in the seats. I would assume no one would ever notice.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 7.00.40 PM.png

20200914_192219.jpg

20200914_192240.jpg
I placed this order with OEM for my sedan yesterday. Center console is on backorder, hope it won't be too long. Sooooo pumped. Thank you so much for posting!

UPDATE: I did the install and love the result. The doors were the the most challenging for me, but the video earlier in the thread shows exactly what you need to do. Last step is dying the thread, which I'm going to do with the Marvy's fabric markers (see later in the thread). I never would have taken this on without the support of the posters here and the how-to video. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I placed this order with OEM for my sedan yesterday. Center console is on backorder, hope it won't be too long. Sooooo pumped. Thank you so much for posting!
I've been waiting for that to happen. The current swarm of Civic owners looking to move from sandpaper\skin catcher fabric to luxurious black leather had to have an affect on supply. Hang in there. OEM Parts Source treated me well.

Reactions: mjh

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
anyone can tell me these guys will fit to hatchback? I've been thinking for a long time. That fabric is sucks!
See this file for the Honda Insight part numbers I used for the front armrests and console for my 18 sport hatch. I didn't bother with the rears. I also replaced the console hinge so the lid doesn't slam down. A pricey $30 part for what it does but it was worth it to me. This list also shows a few green clips for the door panel just in case any broke when I removed the panel -- but none did.

It's such a good upgrade.

Attachments

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
See this file for the Honda Insight part numbers I used for the front armrests and console for my 18 sport hatch. I didn't bother with the rears. I also replaced the console hinge so the lid doesn't slam down. A pricey $30 part for what it does but it was worth it to me. This list also shows a few green clips for the door panel just in case any broke when I removed the panel -- but none did.

It's such a good upgrade.
Thank you! I just wanna make sure before purchasing. I'll check it out.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also replaced the console hinge so the lid doesn't slam down. A pricey $30 part for what it does but it was worth it to me.
You caught my attention with the torque hinge. I'm not familiar. Does that hinge replacement provide a soft\auto\cushioned close rather than the jarring slam of the middle console? If so, I agree, it is pretty pricy for what it does but... hmmm.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I added everything i need to cart.
but I couldn't understand what's that torque hinge? It makes the arm rest closing softly?
Honda Civic 10th gen Fabric to leather armrest and center console swap 9706654E-6EEC-41B2-BA33-B8832C2E46C5

maan I spent almost $2000 on my civic this month. I'll probably buy these guys next month.

android headunit $320
Type r style spoiler $400
Remark exhaust $540
New tires and oil change $800
??‍♂?

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that the leather door arm rests are a perfect fit for the coupe?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that the leather door arm rests are a perfect fit for the coupe?
There are specific part numbers for the coupe (different from the sedan and hatch). Scroll up for my part numbers. I have not actually installed my door pieces yet, but for size and shape they are perfect. I just need to verify where they screw into the door.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
You caught my attention with the torque hinge. I'm not familiar. Does that hinge replacement provide a soft\auto\cushioned close rather than the jarring slam of the middle console?
It adds just enough resistance so the lid stays open at whatever angle until you manually bring the lid down to close it. I don't know if perhaps other trims like Touring come with the torque hinge but my Sport had a simple metal hinge pin.

FWIW, I see the OP replaced their lid by removing the top piece from the plastic frame (the assembly comes as one P/N) so if one follows the OP's method (see pic in the OP's earlier reply) one isn't accessing the metal hinge pin. You won't even see it unless you get in the back seat and remove the plastic trim. In my case I swapped in the lid as the assembly and had to remove the old hinge pin -- since I was going that route, I opted to upgrade the pin.

OP
OP
AegeanCivicSi

AegeanCivicSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Civic SI 4DR
Country flag
It adds just enough resistance so the lid stays open at whatever angle until you manually bring the lid down to close it. I don't know if perhaps other trims like Touring come with the torque hinge but my Sport had a simple metal hinge pin.

FWIW, I see the OP replaced their lid by removing the top piece from the plastic frame (the assembly comes as one P/N) so if one follows the OP's method (see pic in the OP's earlier reply) one isn't accessing the metal hinge pin. You won't even see it unless you get in the back seat and remove the plastic trim. In my case I swapped in the lid as the assembly and had to remove the old hinge pin -- since I was going that route, I opted to upgrade the pin.
Exactly. For me the hinge worked perfectly and there was no reason to replace the entire assembly. Much easier just to unscrew the two screws underneath, pop the cover off, and swap it for the leather. Seems kind of a waste since you spend all that money on the entire assembly. Still worth it to have the leather IMO.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah. I double checked and the Si must already come with the torque hinge because it stays open and doesn't slam shut.

Also, I confirmed that the pieces I ordered DO fit the door armrests. Will post pics later.

Joev492

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah. I double checked and the Si must already come with the torque hinge because it stays open and doesn't slam shut.

Also, I confirmed that the pieces I ordered DO fit the door armrests. Will post pics later.
Thanks!! How do you like the look? Any plans on leather seats?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I really like the leather pieces that I bought. No plans for leather seats. We'll see in a few years, maybe.
Here is one of my door arm rests.
PXL_20200920_225024986 (1).jpg
I noticed the Alpine S speakers. Did you installed them? Are they much better than stock? How's the clarity, highs, and max volume?