Exploding Shattered Sunroof

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I also have a 2013 Ford Escape with Pano. A few folks over in that world have also reported this phenomenon. It is not unheard of, but only us educated consumers are aware of this. Glass is a fickle material that is under constant stress due to tempering. Auto manufacturers are scrimping everywhere they can to reduce cost, weight, etc. This is the result.
Do you suppose this is an issue due to heat being trapped between the sun shade and the glass? It seems like this happens to people who have their sun shade covering the moon roof.

Last week I went for a drive at night. About 10 minutes in, I saw that I had my sun shade pulled, when I pushed it back, I felt a rush of cold air fall on me that was trapped between the shade and the glass. :hmm:
Sponsored

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Do you suppose this is an issue due to heat being trapped between the sun shade and the glass? It seems like this happens to people who have their sun shade covering the moon roof.

Last week I went for a drive at night. About 10 minutes in, I saw that I had my sun shade pulled, when I pushed it back, I felt a rush of cold air fall on me that was trapped between the shade and the glass. :hmm:
It can't be ruled out. My first inclination would be to suspect something up against the edge, then the glass heats up and expands and then pops. But looking at the picture, the damage is in the center of the glass. That means surface impact or some other phenomenon. Glass are like tires, your just going to run into a defective one every now and then.

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
It can't be ruled out. My first inclination would be to suspect something up against the edge, then the glass heats up and expands and then pops. But looking at the picture, the damage is in the center of the glass. That means surface impact or some other phenomenon. Glass are like tires, your just going to run into a defective one every now and then.
What I've also noticed is they explode upward. Then they go to the dealership to have it replaced under warranty, and are then told to call their insurance cause a random rock in the middle of nowhere happened to hit the moon roof.

These phantom rocks, gotta watch out for them. They like to target cars with moon roofs on a sunny day, around 2pm, but only while you're on the freeway with your roof shade closed. Let's not forget that they impact your moon roof in a way where it pushes the glass upward, and directly in the center.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What it says to me is, the glass tried to expand when it got hot, it had nowhere to go because it fit too tightly, so it popped outward.

coreyw2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
We've got another one! Out of the blue, same as others. Was - 10c outside when it happened. Honda wasn't able to help and I don't feel like fighting with them for a couple months to get it fixed. My glass shop found me a replacement from a wrecked car, total bill with tax will be $600cdn installed. Excuse the dirty car, it's winter in calgary haha

View attachment 139255

Honda Civic 10th gen Exploding Shattered Sunroof 20190228_085658

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We've got another one! Out of the blue, same as others. Was - 10c outside when it happened. Honda wasn't able to help and I don't feel like fighting with them for a couple months to get it fixed. My glass shop found me a replacement from a wrecked car, total bill with tax will be $600cdn installed. Excuse the dirty car, it's winter in calgary haha

View attachment 139255

20190228_085658.jpg

That doesn’t look good. Yikes!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

View attachment 139255

20190228_085658.jpg
Thats something that in the US the NHTSA would want to know about

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I've had this happen in cold weather to rear windshields in other cars. So it couldn't have been a rock. This happens. I don't know why it happens. But I sometimes fear driving down the highway and the front windshield itself shattering that way.
Sponsored