Exploding Shattered Sunroof

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Modern Steel
Country flag
Probably a first that's reported on this forum but I was driving 65mph on the highway and a *loud* boom occurred. Staying calm and seeing glass shards fly back in my rearview mirror, I put on my hazard lights, exited off the freeway and stopped at a gas station to examine my sunroof.

Luckily I didn't have my sunroof visor open otherwise the glass would've fallen on me at highway speeds.

The glass that fell off scratched the roof of my car and top of my trunk. But nothing I can't get rid of with polishing and buffing w. Meguiars products.

Anyway, I called the dealer and the receptionist said it would cost $1300 to replace. Geez!

Then I proceeded to look up how much the parts cost, factoring labor in also and yeah, the price is about right.

Then I searched on Google and found out that the NHTSA has an ongoing investigation with randomly exploding sunroofs on the highway and it's an ongoing problem. It's covered on the news too. I'll contact my dealer later but I have a feeling they'll say it was a pebble when I swear it wasn't, and not replace it under warranty for me, but who knows.

It's caused by sunroof glass material being skimped on and isn't tempered like the windshield. And possibly extreme heat being trapped between the glass and the sunroof visor causing it to become a bit more fragile, especially on the freeway.

Experts recommend getting the inside of the sunroof tinted in case if the sunroof does explode, it won't fall on occupants in the car.

What do you guys think of this haha

Sunroof: https://www.hondapartsonline.net/au...-engine/interior-bumper-cat/sliding-roof-scat

Honda Civic 10th gen Exploding Shattered Sunroof 20170413_180035
Sponsored

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably a first that's reported on this forum but I was driving 65mph on the highway and a *loud* boom occurred. Staying calm and seeing glass shards fly back in my rearview mirror, I put on my hazard lights, exited off the freeway and stopped at a gas station to examine my sunroof.

Luckily I didn't have my sunroof visor open otherwise the glass would've fallen on me at highway speeds.

The glass that fell off scratched the roof of my car and top of my trunk. But nothing I can't get rid of with polishing and buffing w. Meguiars products.

Anyway, I called the dealer and the receptionist said it would cost $1300 to replace. Geez!

Then I proceeded to look up how much the parts cost, factoring labor in also and yeah, the price is about right.

Then I searched on Google and found out that the NHTSA has an ongoing investigation with randomly exploding sunroofs on the highway and it's an ongoing problem. It's covered on the news too. I'll contact my dealer later but I have a feeling they'll say it was a pebble when I swear it wasn't, and not replace it under warranty for me, but who knows.

It's caused by sunroof glass material being skimped on and isn't tempered like the windshield. And possibly extreme heat being trapped between the glass and the sunroof visor causing it to become a bit more fragile, especially on the freeway.

Experts recommend getting the inside of the sunroof tinted in case if the sunroof does explode, it won't fall on occupants in the car.

What do you guys think of this haha

Sunroof: https://www.hondapartsonline.net/au...-engine/interior-bumper-cat/sliding-roof-scat

20170413_180035.jpg
Actually I think I might be able to replace the glass on my own if the dealer doesn't agree. I'll post a video if I do.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So either a large boulder managed to find its way on to your sunroof without you noticing or god just happened to say "let it rain!" and there beholds your sunroof. Seriously this sucks man.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's a flaw or negligent build quality on Honda's behalf, shouldn't they then be liable for replacing it?

I always have my sunroof visor partially opened and sometimes even half the roof popped up - even minimally... Is this why I haven't experienced exploding sunroof syndrome?

Sorry this happened to you!

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it's a flaw or negligent build quality on Honda's behalf, shouldn't they then be liable for replacing it?

I always have my sunroof visor partially opened and sometimes even half the roof popped up - even minimally... Is this why I haven't experienced exploding sunroof syndrome?

Sorry this happened to you!
They can easily say a pebble or rock hit it as a means to not replace it. And as for your sunroof, I have no idea, might be LOL. And thanks, turns out I'll replace it myself. It costs $290 for the glass and it's really easy. I just have to take out 4 screws and put the new glass on. Waiting for parts to come in

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Probably a first that's reported on this forum but I was driving 65mph on the highway and a *loud* boom occurred. Staying calm and seeing glass shards fly back in my rearview mirror, I put on my hazard lights, exited off the freeway and stopped at a gas station to examine my sunroof....
QUOTE]

Didn't see any mention of Honda's having an issue - can you list a source other than "Google" and the link you listed (which was worthless)?
Is it possible the moonroof was damaged previously and just let go?

Last edited:

blznweels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring, Orchard Pearl
Country flag
Did you put tint (other than the factory tint) on the sunroof?
That's caused a couple exploding sunroofs that I know of.

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This reminds me when my buddy's Hyundai velosters pano sunroof exploded...then he realized that there were multiple cases around the world and Hyundai ended up in a lawsuit:dunno:

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you put tint (other than the factory tint) on the sunroof?
That's caused a couple exploding sunroofs that I know of.
Nope no tint. Stock glass on car. I heard putting tint on the inside prevents it from shattering inwards, in the case that it does shatter.

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This reminds me when my buddy's Hyundai velosters pano sunroof exploded...then he realized that there were multiple cases around the world and Hyundai ended up in a lawsuit:dunno:
Yeah and I heard the same for Audi. Pretty sure it's an isolated case for me

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Nope no tint. Stock glass on car. I heard putting tint on the inside prevents it from shattering inwards, in the case that it does shatter.
The tint is a thin (or thicker) layer of film that adheres once wet and clings to the glass so if it were to break that would make sense it keeps it from making a mess. Shame that this is needed to be done, but the theory behind it is sound.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
If this happens to mine, I'll ask for a trade-in to get a Sport Touring with no sunroof.

Or a Type-R, whichever is easier. ;)