Exploding Shattered Sunroof

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I checked the sunroof glass. Says its tempered. Little logo on the lower right hand. Is the dealer going to replace it ? Given that other incidents happened they should. In fact, it's always best when the dealer replaces things like this in general b/c it is recorded with Honda which I'm sure keeps record and if a recall is needed in the future they do it. When it is done outside of warranty, there's little incentive for Honda do address these things.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad I have a dashcam, then I can prove there was no rock bounding down the freeway and shattering my sunroof if it happens to me

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Modern Steel
Country flag
I checked the sunroof glass. Says its tempered. Little logo on the lower right hand. Is the dealer going to replace it ? Given that other incidents happened they should. In fact, it's always best when the dealer replaces things like this in general b/c it is recorded with Honda which I'm sure keeps record and if a recall is needed in the future they do it. When it is done outside of warranty, there's little incentive for Honda do address these things.
The dealer is not going to replace it because they said an object such as a rock must've hit it. So I'm replacing it on my own. If I'm going 75mph on the freeway, I'm sure a rock would've also left a dent in my sunroof visor at that velocity but it's easier for them to not fix it and easily blame it on a rock. I'll report it to the NHTSA. Glass panel costs me $290 to replace, better than the $1300 estimate at the dealer.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The dealer is not going to replace it because they said an object such as a rock must've hit it. So I'm replacing it on my own. If I'm going 75mph on the freeway, I'm sure a rock would've also left a dent in my sunroof visor at that velocity but it's easier for them to not fix it and easily blame it on a rock. I'll report it to the NHTSA. Glass panel costs me $290 to replace, better than the $1300 estimate at the dealer.
That's horseshit.

6 O'clock news and Twitter should get Honda off their ass.

Everyone but the dealer will agree that a rock didn't do it.

And if a rock DID hit it, we should be seeing windshields shattering with great regularity. No way that a rock happened to hit the moonroof glass and break it when it could only hit at such a shallow angle.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I agree this is pretty bad the OP has to fix this. How exactly did a rock break it unless some kid was standing on a bridge and threw it downwards as he was driving under a bridge ?

OP
OP

DrTurtlz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Modern Steel
Country flag
That's horseshit.

6 O'clock news and Twitter should get Honda off their ass.

Everyone but the dealer will agree that a rock didn't do it.

And if a rock DID hit it, we should be seeing windshields shattering with great regularity. No way that a rock happened to hit the moonroof glass and break it when it could only hit at such a shallow angle.
Yeah but it's their word against mine so it's hard to prove my point without any evidence unless other Civic owners experience the same issue. Luckily it's easy to fix, but still a major concern for other drivers who has kids in the car and whatnot if it exploded in someone's eye

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The back window in my 2007 Ridgeline spontaneously exploded one evening while the vehicle was parked and in full view. Long story short, the dealer wouldn't warranty it without the approval of a Honda field engineer who never showed even after a week and a half so I allowed the comprehensive portion of my insurance to cover it, which cost me a $50 deductible. Other Ridgeline owners reported the same thing after I came forward, but no investigation or recall has occurred.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-1g-problems-issues/19833-back-glass-exploded.html

@DrTurtlz, I'd let your comprehensive insurance cover it provided your deductible is less than the cost to repair it yourself. When insurance companies start seeing an unusual pattern of claims that points to a manufacturer defect, they take action to seek reimbursement from the manufacturer through NHTSA safety investigations and liability claims against the manufacturer which can lead to recalls.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious, if OP could let us know which model and year he has.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
@DrTurtlz, I'd let your comprehensive insurance cover it provided your deductible is less than the cost to repair it yourself. When insurance companies start seeing an unusual pattern of claims that points to a manufacturer defect, they take action to seek reimbursement from the manufacturer through NHTSA safety investigations and liability claims against the manufacturer which can lead to recalls.
^^^^ I like this. An insurance company can swing a bigger bat than a few owners can.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I also have a 2013 Ford Escape with Pano. A few folks over in that world have also reported this phenomenon. It is not unheard of, but only us educated consumers are aware of this. Glass is a fickle material that is under constant stress due to tempering. Auto manufacturers are scrimping everywhere they can to reduce cost, weight, etc. This is the result.
Sponsored