Eco Mode & Break in Period

SHIFTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ex-t coupe 6-spd
Just wondering if Eco mode can be used during the break in period or should you avoid using it during that period? Would this affect the engine in any way during this period?
Sponsored

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Just wondering if Eco mode can be used during the break in period or should you avoid using it during that period? Would this affect the engine in any way during this period?
ECO mode mutes the accelerator to respond environmentally. You can still run the car through the RPM ranges necessary to break in the engine.

saiyan1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Sedan Manual
To be honest what does eco mode do? Its there a drop in HP or something?

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So would you recommend using it on the freeway for long drives or just turn it off?
It kills passing power when you need it, I leave it off, and just drive smart if I'm hunting for MPG, i.e accelerating down hills only and keeping your throttle consistent

saiyan1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It kills passing power when you need it, I leave it off, and just drive smart if I'm hunting for MPG, i.e accelerating down hills only and keeping your throttle consistent
Hmm.. well now i know.

Honda Civic 10th gen Eco Mode & Break in Period 1367046861788

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just follow the manual. No heavy acceleration, no wot for the first 600 mi. Doesnt matter of eco is on or not.

OP
OP
SHIFTY

SHIFTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ex-t coupe 6-spd
Just follow the manual. No heavy acceleration, no wot for the first 600 mi. Doesnt matter of eco is on or not.
Thanks, was doing testing with different gas types with eco mode on when I'm on the highway and wondered if it affected the break in period in any way. Will continue the test.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So would you recommend using it on the freeway for long drives or just turn it off?
I've seen some comments that it actually loses fuel economy in some situations. I *suspect* this is as a result of one behavior that I've observed. If you go into somewhat of a downhill with cruise control and Eco mode on, it seems to "downshift" slightly to reduce your speed. Without eco mode, it does not. The latter is better for fuel economy, as it doesn't waste speed you have.

So for freeway driving, especially if you use cruise control, I'd stick with it off. It really can help in more frequent stop and go driving, where the muting of the throttle response can benefit your fuel economy.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
True, unless you go WOT, then it works fine, which is how I pass.. I only use it at freeway speeds where it works well for adaptive cruise nicely too.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Think it's highly contingent on driver behavior.

While I prefer no Econ mode in the city for quicker response, I consistently get 3-4 mpg more when I use Econ, a single I find it much harder to keep the bars in green without it on. I suspect this is because I trained myself to drive the car with it on.

I sometimes switch between the modes every several tanks of gas to see what it does.

I can also say with confidence that winter driving sucks the MPG out of this car like nothing I've ever seen before. Dunno if it's the gas formula or cold, but where I was getting 36 mixed before, I'm lucky to eek out 32+ since winter started here.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
in my experience I only us it at cruising speeds. It helps alot with cruise control and only using the + and - to accelerate and decelerate, I've gotten 48mpgs between FortWorth and Austin. I've never experienced good economy when city driving with eco.

saiyan1485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When i fill up my car i put 87 but this time i put 89 would that harm my car or no?