Break-in period...

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you think about it? Is all highway driving ok? I thought constant speeds weren't the best thing for a new car, although the manual only mentions quick accelerations and hard stops.

I drove mine 130 miles on the highway and tried to fluctuate between about 58-64, with no cruise. Really hard to do and quite a pain.

Total of about 150 miles so far and my computer mpg is 45! First tank and it's that good?! I'm psyched on that.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say you are doing a better job than most people. I don't think the manual says you have to do that but I've seen it recommended elsewhere for other vehicles.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say you are doing a better job than most people. I don't think the manual says you have to do that but I've seen it recommended elsewhere for other vehicles.
Yeah, that's what my Toyota said as far as break in, to avoid constant speeds...

I'm probably being overly cautious though...

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
When I contacted RedLine oil they emailed me back and recommended 1500-2000 miles before switching to their oil, at 1700 miles this past Sat I did the 1st oil change but with Amsoil SS.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
When I contacted RedLine oil they emailed me back and recommended 1500-2000 miles before switching to their oil, at 1700 miles this past Sat I did the 1st oil change but with Amsoil SS.

Are you on the right post ?

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you think about it? Is all highway driving ok? I thought constant speeds weren't the best thing for a new car, although the manual only mentions quick accelerations and hard stops.

I drove mine 130 miles on the highway and tried to fluctuate between about 58-64, with no cruise. Really hard to do and quite a pain.

Total of about 150 miles so far and my computer mpg is 45! First tank and it's that good?! I'm psyched on that.
@myke Highway driving should be fine for breaking in the engine.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
During break-in, I had mah Civ on ECON mode. Oh, it still went when I wanted it to but I have avoided jackrabbit takeoffs so as to minimize abuse and drove like there is an egg under the gas pedal meaning gentle throttle pushes. The throttle is very sensitive even in ECON mode and it seems like I can get up to speeds even while barely pushing the gas. This car is very easy to drive within the speed limits cause with the turbo, you feel as if you can always speed up and get out of people's way faster thus avoiding a bunch of things but mainly wear and tear on your car but also speeding tickets and even driving defensively without being slow or dangerous.

Edit: I actually exaggerated the driving with egg under pedal, it seems ECON mode does this for me and all I do is press gas normally like a normal person/driver. The premise and essence of break-in is avoid abrupt accelerations and avoid redline. (avoid sudden/hard braking but this car does lets you avoid that too with Honda Sensing)
Sponsored

Last edited: