Break-in period...

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel so hesitant to even gun it and I did it a couple of times and I feel worried LOL. After seeing this thread and seeing people push it right off the lot makes me feel a bit better about it. However I don't believe I have hit over 5k RPM and if I have it was less than 2 seconds. I'm being gentle with it because I honestly want to save the big pull when I have 600 miles :)
Sponsored

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I feel so hesitant to even gun it and I did it a couple of times and I feel worried LOL. After seeing this thread and seeing people push it right off the lot makes me feel a bit better about it. However I don't believe I have hit over 5k RPM and if I have it was less than 2 seconds. I'm being gentle with it because I honestly want to save the big pull when I have 600 miles :)
I mean I ran the TSP stage one tune when I was only like 400 km in and ktuner 21.5 PSI when I was only 100km in.

You'll be fine...

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I'm on my 5th brand new car in my adulthood and all 5 times I have forgotten about the break in period. Lol. I bought my current Civic 48 hours ago with 9 miles on it. I now have about 90 miles and did not drive gently. I've been zooming everywhere. Hard braking and all. After reading this post I will TRY to take it easy for the next few hundred miles. I hope I didn't screw anything up.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I have kept the car in Econ mode. Been very gentle with her. City/Highway as commute is 30 miles to work. I do use the cruise but the adaptive set at farthest distance will vary the speed on the highway for me. Probably overkill but this drives more like a Cadillac than my previous car a Mini Cooper S Coupe. That had only two seats similar to the Mazda Miata. I still feel like I am driving a huge automobile like a Chrysler Imperial. But anything seems huge compared to a two seater. I had an Accord back in the late 80's and today's Civic is the same size.

The Mini S Coupe was Turbo as well. I was concerned the Civic would be under powered. I am not even out of Econ mode and it is fine. They used to get on me at the Mini Dealer as I hardly engaged the Turbo. I just don't drive all that fast just the posted speed limit. And actually was hoping to get better gas mileage and so far the Civic has done better than the Mini.

I doubt my careful driving will damage the car and maybe overkill on my part. I have heard it is not good to start a car when it is very cold (below zero) and just take off without letting it warm up? Any thoughts? Here we don't get that cold but sometimes it can hover at 32 degrees. Maybe that is what the auto start is all about?

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And..... It is illegal to use the remote start here in Georgia. Fine could be $5,000. Who knew? Just google it. I saw it on the news. They appear to get people who live in apartment complexes. Not houses. The dealer never heard of this before. I only throw this out there because all the careful driving in my opinion could be ruined if you just jump in a very cold car and take off. I think extreme cold factors into the break in period as well. Just one more variable we have to deal with if you take delivery in colder months. Thoughts?

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/envi...llegal-where-you-live/f0arDxgqnMpx34DCFJXyCN/

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And..... It is illegal to use the remote start here in Georgia. Fine could be $5,000. Who knew? Just google it. I saw it on the news. They appear to get people who live in apartment complexes. Not houses. The dealer never heard of this before. I only throw this out there because all the careful driving in my opinion could be ruined if you just jump in a very cold car and take off. I think extreme cold factors into the break in period as well. Just one more variable we have to deal with if you take delivery in colder months. Thoughts?
Idling for more than a couple minutes would likely cause more harm than good in these DI engines because of fuel dilution, as long as you accelerate gently as the engine reaches operating temperature. My office is right on a state highway, 55 mph speed limit, but many are doing 70+. I'll let the car idle for 30-60 sec, then pull onto the main road, but I won't floor it. I'll wait for a break in traffic so I can accelerate gradually to 55 mph.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One of the features I enjoyed in my other car and the Civic are heated seats. A couple of minutes warming up the car and me too can't be all bad. Not one to jump in early morning and fly out of the driveway.

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
So th
What do you think about it? Is all highway driving ok? I thought constant speeds weren't the best thing for a new car, although the manual only mentions quick accelerations and hard stops.

I drove mine 130 miles on the highway and tried to fluctuate between about 58-64, with no cruise. Really hard to do and quite a pain.

Total of about 150 miles so far and my computer mpg is 45! First tank and it's that good?! I'm psyched on that.
So Honda recommends 3 things. Stay below 4K rpms , no hard breaking, and one other minor thing. You’ll be fine as long you follow those rules. Engines in the old days required much steeper break ins but it’s easy now

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
This is the Top Most Inner Circle nugget of info on break-in, this just in, PUT THE CIV IN ECON mode for break-in (can't redline it that way) and DO what about it, FUGETABOTIT! I'm at 3500 miles on the clock and recently put it back on ECON just cause it feels more docile in a good way on launchs and has anyone noticed it feels better off the line coming off of Brake Holds. 3500 miles on the clock has been like Seiko (I know I'll get grief for not saying that gaudy brand of watches here, you know the brand).
Timex?

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2.0L
Country flag
One of the best videos I've seen on this very controversial subject.

Last edited:

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Two things..........

1 - vary your rpms as much as possible

2 - keep rpms below 4000

The absolute worst thing you can do during break in is to go on the freeway/highway and drive 200+ Miles at a constant speed/rpm
Hmmm... why is that? I always thought low RPMs were good for an engine so it doesn't wear itself out quicker?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Variation in engine speed, reasonable load (ie drive normally), and temperature cycling (shorter drives over several days) = (take casual drives on backroads) is key to breaking in a gasoline street car's drivetrain. Always has been, always will be.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Variation in engine speed, reasonable load (ie drive normally), and temperature cycling (shorter drives over several days) = (take casual drives on backroads) is key to breaking in a gasoline street car's drivetrain. Always has been, always will be.
Thanks for that!

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Bought my 2019 brand new a year ago. Drove it gently (nothing even close to half throttle or much over 3k rpm at most) and stuck to a lot of around town driving. No highway, no constant speeds. I think I did that for like 1500 miles? Maybe 2000. I don’t remember. But well beyond what the manual suggested.
Sponsored