Dumb Question Alert - Shift Knob - Weighted vs Non-weighted

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey all,

I'm currently looking for a different shift knob from OEM for the AZ heat. I am confused what I should be looking for. Besides being heavier, is there any other difference between non-weighted and weighted knobs?
Is the stock Si shift knob weighted? And do I need a weighted shift knob?

Sorry for the dumb question, I am a novice when it comes to car knowledge.

Thanks again.
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
"Weighted" vs. "Non-weighted" for aftermarket knobs is arbitrary because it's in relation to the OEM knob weight. Since different cars have different weight shift knobs from the factory, the term is kind of meaningless.

The Si knob is about ~180 grams

If you go lighter than that, you'll get a more tactile feel when shifting and will have to use a little more force to shift into gear. Some people prefer this.

If you go heavier, you'll find it a little easier for the knob to fall into gear - it requires a little less force. More people seem to prefer this feeling.

I personally went with a heavier knob. I chose the SuperKlasse runabout knob because of it's all-leather design and it's ~350g.

You don't NEED to have a lighter/heavier knob, but going too light or too heavy may have diminishing returns.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
"Weighted" vs. "Non-weighted" for aftermarket knobs is arbitrary because it's in relation to the OEM knob weight. Since different cars have different weight shift knobs from the factory, the term is kind of meaningless.

If you go lighter than that, you'll get a more tactile feel when shifting and will have to use a little more force to shift into gear. Some people prefer this.

If you go heavier, you'll find it a little easier for the knob to fall into gear - it requires a little less force. More people seem to prefer this feeling.

I personally went with a heavier knob. I chose the SuperKlasse runabout knob because of it's all-leather design and it's ~350g.

You don't NEED to have a lighter/heavier knob, but going too light or too heavy may have diminishing returns.
What is the heaviest, best looking knob that WON'T burn my hand? lol. It's going to be in the hundreds where I live this week and eventually will be the norm for a few months.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What is the heaviest, best looking knob that WON'T burn my hand? lol. It's going to be in the hundreds where I live this week and eventually will be the norm for a few months.
I mean even a leather knob will get hot in the summer... I foolishly forgot to put my sunshade on the other day and my car was baking at 95°+ temps... My steering wheel and knob were both hot AF!

Best protection is a sunshade and ceramic window tint. Put a sock/cover on your shift knob too if you know it's going to be sitting in the heat.

There's a whole thread here dedicated to shift knobs: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/show-me-your-aftermarket-shift-knob.14188/

Looks are obviously subjective, but I have a leather SuperKlasse shift knob that is almost double the weight of the Si knob and matches the Si interior perfectly:

Honda Civic 10th gen Dumb Question Alert - Shift Knob - Weighted vs Non-weighted 20200701_182655_resized

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I love my Acuity ESCO in the white plastic, but unfortunately they have discontinued it. It is probably similarly weight as stock. Doesn't get too hot or cold. They do pop up for sale on the forums here from time to time.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I'm running an out of production PasswordJDM "Brass Knuckle" that's pretty hefty and found it helped out immensely with feel. I wouldn't run it in AZ cuz the knob is solid brass so it soaks up the heat, but also dissipates quickly with the AC on.
But heavier for me is better.

Worst case scenario is spend the $ and it not feel right to you and move on. Knobs are inexpensive enuff for trial and error.

OP
OP
optikalillusi0n

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Thanks for the explanation man. I appreciate it. Your shift knob looks perfect with the interior!

OP
OP
optikalillusi0n

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Anyone by chance know if carbon fiber gets as hot as the stock OEM shifter knobs for our Si's? We're already hitting 113 degree weather over here. :p

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Anyone by chance know if carbon fiber gets as hot as the stock OEM shifter knobs for our Si's? We're already hitting 113 degree weather over here. :p
It should stay a little cooler, but I would recommend the shift knob from the 8th Gen Si/AP2 S2000. It doesn’t ruin the shift feel like all the chonky boi knobs that people run on these cars do, and it has a big enough leather strip around the middle that you can use it while you wait for the rest of it to cool down.

OP
OP
optikalillusi0n

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It should stay a little cooler, but I would recommend the shift knob from the 8th Gen Si/AP2 S2000. It doesn’t ruin the shift feel like all the chonky boi knobs that people run on these cars do, and it has a big enough leather strip around the middle that you can use it while you wait for the rest of it to cool down.
[/Q
Thanks man! Nice to see another AZ Si driver.

Is this the one you're referring to by chance?
JDM HONDA GENUINE 2006-11 Civic Si 6speed Aluminum Shift Knob 54102-SVB-A00 | eBay

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
You can still get a skunk 2 shift knob. I live in SC and fit the knob with toddler to 6 months sock for a portion of the year. It works ... I used to live in NY so for the opposite reason like minus 7 below I would use the same sock. In my opinion the cold burn is worse than the hot burn!

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I just ordered the wooden knob from Unity Performance to see if that would help with the heat. I’m putting it on next week when I get my car back from the body shop.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag