Jrich1636

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Cross post from the new gen forum. I figured the paint should be fairly similar with this gen.

Does anywhere here go all out on their car washing and use a DA polisher to correct swirls?

obviously with this car still being so new they are minimal. But in the future. I am extra careful with the way I wash my car to minimize swirls but they are still inevitable.

anyways, I measured the paint thickness yesterday and the car’s paint is thin. The hood is INSANELY thin. 65-70 micrometers compares to the rest around 90.

Looking for some feedback from other members of this forum! Thanks!
Sponsored

GavinOC

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R Boost Blue Pearl
Country flag
I've detailed and paint corrected many of my cars and several yachts/boats etc. Used all manor of sealants and some ceramic coatings - I do not do it for a living and never would.

I'm unsure what it is you are asking?

Paint hardness, or to be more correct lacquer (clear coat) hardness is more important than depth.

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't have a paint gauge, but my hood already had multiple tiny rust spots from where the paint wore through (I'm assuming the previous owner polished poorly, either that or the paint is just that thin already). I detail for a living, and all I was comfortable doing was a medium polishing compound (very low cut) followed by a finishing polish to shine it up nicely. Luckily I didn't have that bad of swirling so it worked well, and from then on I've just kept it ceramic coated (I strip the previous coat and reapply after it seems to be about half as effective) and it has stayed great looking.

It'd be best to get PPF done if you want to protect it the best, if not then ceramic coatings,, and for prevention at the very least use the two-bucket method. Adding some ONR (Optimum No-Rinse) to your soap is pretty good too, adds better lubrication.

Something some detailers I see going to is a 2 bucket method using multiple mitts, just throwing the ones used into an empty bucket and grabbing a brand new one from the soap bucket.

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've detailed and paint corrected many of my cars and several yachts/boats etc. Used all manor of sealants and some ceramic coatings - I do not do it for a living and never would.

I'm unsure what it is you are asking?

Paint hardness, or to be more correct lacquer (clear coat) hardness is more important than depth.
That's true, and unfortunately, Honda's paint is usually on the softer side. Not always though

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
W
Cross post from the new gen forum. I figured the paint should be fairly similar with this gen.

Does anywhere here go all out on their car washing and use a DA polisher to correct swirls?

obviously with this car still being so new they are minimal. But in the future. I am extra careful with the way I wash my car to minimize swirls but they are still inevitable.

anyways, I measured the paint thickness yesterday and the car’s paint is thin. The hood is INSANELY thin. 65-70 micrometers compares to the rest around 90.

Looking for some feedback from other members of this forum! Thanks!
I've done 2 step-correction on my 19 Si with medium compound and cutting pad, followed by polish compound on polishing pad, then graphene coated. Always cleaned up really nice, the Honda paint isn't very hard as others mentioned. I did a few videos on my YouTube showing the process which might help.

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Civic paintwork is thin and the clear coat is soft. You need to assess the condition of the paint surface. I just removed the swirls mark with finishing compound and coated with 2 layers of Graphene.

Honda Civic 10th gen DA Polishing E50CFB13-E4C9-48C0-A319-53DB4FDA95E5

Honda Civic 10th gen DA Polishing 34CF0FAA-C2B8-4752-AF3B-68AB7A7A4314