Day to Day ?s

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Hey everyone, new 2018 hatchback sport CVT owner here ...

just some general "day to day" questions as this is my first Honda and first car I've purchased rather than leased.

1. Is premium a good idea even if only "recommended"? I'm already saving a ton on gas compared to my last car, so I don't mind the price - just wondering if worth it.

2. How often do you wash/wax your car? Especially in winter. Brutal stretch in my area below freezing for almost 2 weeks straight

3. Parking/E-brake: is it better for the transmission to always use the parking brake? [I've seen warnings of it freezing, but is that if only left for an extended period of time? I drive it daily just to keep the "juices" flowing]

Love the car, it's beautful, fun, roomy, and so far great in the snow ! just want to make sure i'm doing all the little things daily to ensure I have this car for a long time.
Sponsored

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
premium, YES, in sport model.
wash wax the same way you did with your previous cxar.
use parking brake when the car is parked on other than flat surface.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
premium, YES, in sport model.
wash wax the same way you did with your previous cxar.
use parking brake when the car is parked on other than flat surface.
Hey everyone, new 2018 hatchback sport CVT owner here ...

just some general "day to day" questions as this is my first Honda and first car I've purchased rather than leased.

1. Is premium a good idea even if only "recommended"? I'm already saving a ton on gas compared to my last car, so I don't mind the price - just wondering if worth it.

2. How often do you wash/wax your car? Especially in winter. Brutal stretch in my area below freezing for almost 2 weeks straight

3. Parking/E-brake: is it better for the transmission to always use the parking brake? [I've seen warnings of it freezing, but is that if only left for an extended period of time? I drive it daily just to keep the "juices" flowing]

Love the car, it's beautful, fun, roomy, and so far great in the snow ! just want to make sure i'm doing all the little things daily to ensure I have this car for a long time.
I would say use premium when you can, you can always run your own tests. Was and wax when the car needs it, check out the auto-detailing subreddit if you want some good guides. I personally use the parking brake at all times, but it doesn't get super cold here.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Welcome

1. Yes, you got the Sport model. So yes, I fuel up the car with premium only. Though people have tried with Regular gas without issue so far.
2. I wax my car once every 6 months.
3. I used the parking brake everytime I know the car will be stopped for awhile.

sidenote: please know that you have a break-in period for the first 600 miles.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. I don't even know, set foot inside vehicles that REQUIRES premium, all are recommended. I use it on my Sport Touring.

2. Depends on the weather, I've waxed my girl during winter many times. :)

3. Never heard of it but use it when on an incline.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
1. Filled up mine with regular 87 octane this past tankful (it was down to less than 1/4) and it seems to be running fine. "Recommended" is not the same as "required". The computer will manage it fine.

2. The last time I washed a car in freezing weather, the doors froze shut after I got home.

3. Always use the parking brake.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I don’t see the electronic e-brake brake freezing. When ppl use the exposed mechanical e-brake, it could freeze. There was also a chance of the old ones staying engaged due to rust if not used regularly.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
where I live it's below zero so I'm waiting till it warms up. I got my last car washed in this kind of weather once and the windshield cracked all the way across the bottom.
Sponsored