Vehicle(s)
1994 Nissan, 2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It sounds like a temu supercharger.
About to supercharge your CVT to death 🤣

Otherwise yeah change the fluid.
Quick question to add. Since you said it only happens in S mode. Is it only when you step on the pedal?
No, it actually starts when I'm engine braking. It's almost like if I step outside of the CVT's preferred gear ratio for too long, it starts whining as if it's upset.

But it takes time for this to start happening, so @BoostedBarbarian I think if it was a bad relay it would start immediately. And the sound starts off quietly, only getting louder as I drive it more. So even if it was heat causing the relay to start acting up, I wonder why it's so gradual.

The sound is inaudible in S at a high gear and low RPM, almost as if the CVT is happy at those types of gear ratios.

I can prolong how much time it takes for the whining to start by shifting very early as well, so it's something to do with the gear ratio, it prefers to not be low.

Here is a video of me driving in D, car is warmed up. No whining noises when starting from a stop, driving how I normally drive, and coming to a stop. You might be able to hear my CVT whistling though, but I think this might be normal?

OP
OP
orange.nissan

orange.nissan

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This may seem strange but I was wondering does it do this in automatic S mode too or just in manual S mode like u do?
It usually doesn't do it in automatic S mode, but if I have been driving in manual S and switch over to automatic S, the whine will persist quietly. I have only used automatic S a few times, so I'll drive it like that for a little bit this evening and see how that goes.

OP
OP
orange.nissan

orange.nissan

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I mean right, I know S mode is, what, maybe 600 rpm higher at any given throttle position.

But think about it. If he's driving in D and he doesn't hear the noise at ANY rpm, even after long drives at high rpm isn't that strange?
And agreed, I'm usually at 80-90 mph and there is never a noise in drive, but maybe it's more to do with gear ratio and less with actual RPMs

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This video is only of the whine, it only becomes this loud and obnoxious after driving for maybe 10 mins or so. Mostly in low gears. There's a whistle sound too when I come to a stop, but that's hard to get on video, very quiet and hard for a microphone to pick up since it's really high pitched.

I'd listen with headphones or at high volume, since my mic prefers to pick up the lower pitched road noise or engine noise.

I don't know what that sound is. What I can say though (if it helps for comparison to narrow it down) is that my vehicle is not making that sound. Done nothing special to the transmission except daily driving and changing the fluid every 40,000kms.

OP
OP
orange.nissan

orange.nissan

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't know what that sound is. What I can say though (if it helps for comparison to narrow it down) is that my vehicle is not making that sound. Done nothing special to the transmission except daily driving and changing the fluid every 40,000kms.
Does yours have paddle shifters? This only happens when using paddle shifters.

OP
OP
orange.nissan

orange.nissan

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, it's got paddle shifters and 125,000kms
How often do you do fluid changes and what kind of fluid do you use? Are you a 1.5t or a 2.0? Have you tried using the paddle shifters for longer than 10 minutes while engine braking in gear when coming to a stop and revving up to 3k or 3.5k before up shifting?

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How often do you do fluid changes and what kind of fluid do you use? Are you a 1.5t or a 2.0? Have you tried using the paddle shifters for longer than 10 minutes while engine braking in gear when coming to a stop and revving up to 3k or 3.5k before up shifting?
Fluid changes for me are every 40,000kms with HCF-2 CVT Transmission fluid on a 1.5t. Yeah i've used the paddle shifters and S mode going down steep hills and pretty sure that sound isn't there.
Sponsored