First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been hearing this whistle when under WOT at 4900 rpm and up. I have a video and can attach it if that would help. The whistle sounds to be around 1000Hz range, and I can't tell where it's coming from, but I do know for sure that it's not related to speed; i.e maybe a window that's slightly open or a door that's not shut all the way. It's not speed related though because i've been at speeds in excess of 120 mph and no whistle noise then.
I doubt that it's the clutch primarily because I don't feel it losing power or being sluggish, like a slipping clutch would feel like, not to mention that i have just over 3000 miles on it. I bought it with 7 miles, and the rest are mine original.
Stock everything (for now) except a strut bar and a muffler delete, so no tuning or aftermarket parts could be playing in here. It would suck if it is the clutch slipping since i've only had the car for just over a month. If it is the clutch I should be able to get that replaced under warranty right? I learned stick on this car so the clutch is probably more worn than average, but it took me 2 hours to drive it like an auto so the clutch by no means should be worn to the point that it slips. I'll mention again i feel absolutely no slipping from the clutch ever. The car is very responsive and never feels sluggish.
I'd appreciate any help, and if this gets a response asking for it, i'll attach the video for reference.

EDIT: attached video link

website wouldn't let me upload normally; video is here
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, so, what you’re hearing is called a “turbo”, and it’s what gives your car the power. ?

J/K, mate. ? Probably should post the video.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, so, what you’re hearing is called a “turbo”, and it’s what gives your car the power. ?

J/K, mate. ? Probably should post the video.
not a turbo whine that's for sure haha i added the vid

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
not a turbo whine that's for sure haha i added the vid
I checked the video! Hoe interesting! Sounds like a specific constant frequency on-throttle, and it raises in pitch a bit when you up-shift. WTH? ?

Does it vary with throttle input (e.g., 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, WOT)?

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked the video! Hoe interesting! Sounds like a specific constant frequency on-throttle, and it raises in pitch a bit when you up-shift. WTH? ?

Does it vary with throttle input (e.g., 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, WOT)?
i've only been able to induce it under WOT above roughly 5k rpm. idek how to describe the noise like if i say whine or whistle that infers that it's high pitch but it's not terribly high; like holding abottle outa window and letting it do the flute thing ya know?
im stumped, maybe i'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out, but i don't think they'll let her eat like she needs to to make the sound happen, idk

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I've been hearing this whistle when under WOT at 4900 rpm and up. I have a video and can attach it if that would help. The whistle sounds to be around 1000Hz range, and I can't tell where it's coming from, but I do know for sure that it's not related to speed; i.e maybe a window that's slightly open or a door that's not shut all the way. It's not speed related though because i've been at speeds in excess of 120 mph and no whistle noise then.
I doubt that it's the clutch primarily because I don't feel it losing power or being sluggish, like a slipping clutch would feel like, not to mention that i have just over 3000 miles on it. I bought it with 7 miles, and the rest are mine original.
Stock everything (for now) except a strut bar and a muffler delete, so no tuning or aftermarket parts could be playing in here. It would suck if it is the clutch slipping since i've only had the car for just over a month. If it is the clutch I should be able to get that replaced under warranty right? I learned stick on this car so the clutch is probably more worn than average, but it took me 2 hours to drive it like an auto so the clutch by no means should be worn to the point that it slips. I'll mention again i feel absolutely no slipping from the clutch ever. The car is very responsive and never feels sluggish.
I'd appreciate any help, and if this gets a response asking for it, i'll attach the video for reference.

EDIT: attached video link

website wouldn't let me upload normally; video is here
Thats really odd.. maybe check throttle body and air intake connections. Also learned stick on 2018 si with 55k. Shouldn't be the clutch

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like a leak. I have a feeling this is may be related to boost. Does this happen under hard boost?

Because I have a similar whistle, but it's higher pitched, consistent, that begins at 14 psi and above. I'm still figuring it out but I have found some of my aftermarket intercooler T-clamps have vibrated loose due to not being tightened down all the way(user error), especially my throttle body clamp. They shouldn't even back out if installed correctly but I applied threadlocker during reinstall just in case.

I tightened my throttle body clamp down tight to where I cannot budge it anymore with the 10mm and I am hoping this solves the issue.

Give your stock connections a glance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a leak. I have a feeling this is may be related to boost. Does this happen under hard boost?

Because I have a similar whistle, but it's higher pitched that begins at 14 psi and above. I'm still figuring it out but I have found some of my aftermarket intercooler T-clamps have vibrated loose due to not being tightened down all the way(user error), especially my throttle body clamp. They shouldn't even back out if installed correctly but I applied threadlocker during reinstall just in case.

I tightened my throttle body clamp down tight to where I cannot budge it anymore with the 10mm and I am hoping this solves the issue.

Give your stock connections a glance.
would installing a cai possibly help to narrow it down?
I plan to go fbo, but honestly idek what that entails. my plan for now is cobra cai, ktuner w phearable 1.5, a good intercooler + charge pipes, maybe a down pipe and maybe t.i.p. If logic dictates that the power i'm making at that point is limited on the exhaust end, i'll upgrade exhaust, turbo, and maf.
it's a typical chicago winter atm so i'm waiting to do it all, as well as still debating voiding my warranty (only 3k miles so far) plus i haven't decided for sure on some things. 27won or prl cai? mishimoto prl or 27won IC + CP? downpipes are all the same from what I can tell, quality aside.

anyways thanks for the tip, i'll probably take it to the dealer to have them look at it, also since my a.c seems to be acting up, and i dealt w that in my last '17 touring and it was a royal pita, car and dealer alike. i shouldn't have these many problems on a car i bought brand new a little over a month ago.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
would installing a cai possibly help to narrow it down?
Probably, probably not. Just easier to make sure the intake and connections are secured properly and all the screws are in place.

it's a typical chicago winter atm so i'm waiting to do it all, as well as still debating voiding my warranty (only 3k miles so far) plus i haven't decided for sure on some things. 27won or prl cai? mishimoto prl or 27won IC + CP? downpipes are all the same from what I can tell, quality aside.
Good choices on CAI, I recommend either of those two. I have PRL CAI and it's fantastic. It doesn't rain much here in SoCal so I don't worry about hydrolocking at all. Can't go wrong with either choice.

I have first hand experience with the 27Won IC + Charge Pipes. Largest charge pipes on the market (currently) at 2.25 inch hotside and 2.75 inch cold side, PRL has 2 inch hotside with a 2.5 inch cold side and Mishimoto is something like 2.2 inches for both. People have complained they felt an increase of turbo lag (with stock turbo) on the 27Won FMIC kit due to the larger piping but I actually haven't felt any.

Only heard great things about the PRL FMIC too.

Here is my review of the 27Won FMIC: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/27won-front-mount-intercooler-review-with-datalogs.47613/

I haven't done too much research on downpipes but I heard the RV6 downpipe does a good job on avoiding CEL. Heard good things on RV6, PRL and 27Won DP's.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i've only been able to induce it under WOT above roughly 5k rpm. idek how to describe the noise like if i say whine or whistle that infers that it's high pitch but it's not terribly high; like holding abottle outa window and letting it do the flute thing ya know?
im stumped, maybe i'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out, but i don't think they'll let her eat like she needs to to make the sound happen, idk
Yeah, makes sense what you’re saying.

in line with others, sounds like a leak. Have you replaced any air-related plumping recently?

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, makes sense what you’re saying.

in line with others, sounds like a leak. Have you replaced any air-related plumping recently?
car is stock atm, been too cold out to install the mods i want to.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
car is stock atm, been too cold out to install the mods i want to.
Yeah, you were saying you want to get an CAI. Just didn't know if there were other mods.

I agree with others: try tightening down air-related hose clamps.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: it’s the exhaust. never woulda thunk it but according to the mechanics at my honda, the exhaust tips i got put on when i got my muffler delete are the cause of this whistle. something akin to a tuning fork i suppose, with so much air coming past at 5k+ rpm, the tips resonate or the air is going through such an extreme redirect that it splits, for lack of better word, abs created this whistle noise.
@FC1Dawn, i know you had an issue similar to this. i assume you didn’t have anything done to your exhaust at that point, right?

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@FC1Dawn, i know you had an issue similar to this. i assume you didn’t have anything done to your exhaust at that point, right?
Glad that you found the issue!

And no, I have a stock exhaust right now. Still getting a whistling noise under hard boost. Haven't been able to figure it out. Been trying to find time to take off the front vents to access several areas of the charge pipes.

That said, Vibra-Tite 125 Gel Threadlocker works really good.

OP
OP
KOIVUN1

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad that you found the issue!

And no, I have a stock exhaust right now. Still getting a whistling noise under hard boost. Haven't been able to figure it out. Been trying to find time to take off the front vents to access several areas of the charge pipes.

That said, Vibra-Tite 125 Gel Threadlocker works really good.
finding the issue was one thing, now i gotta find out how to solve it. and i'm stumped. it has something to do with the last 30 inches or so of the exhaust, where I had the stock mufflers chopped at and a new pipe welded in to come out at center bumper. I'm fairly sure it's not an issue relating to missing/incomplete welds, however i think it could possibly be welding wire on the inside of the pipe. for ease of comparison, like when you got a bat in the cave and every time you breathe you can hear it whistling away. same concept but with weld wire protruding through to the inside of the exhaust pipe. the only other source of the noise i think would be the air resonating as it is split by the y pipe that the exhaust tips were installed with. i'll be attempting to find a fix for it, and will update if i do.
Sponsored