CTR Dealer Markup

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Gotta be nice living in countries where their government actually cares about its people and stops activities such as this... manufacturer set the price for a reason then dealerships are just such slime balls that they can make sure the average person doesn't stand a chance compared to the rich who blow money away
Sponsored

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
Gotta be nice living in countries where their government actually cares about its people and stops activities such as this... manufacturer set the price for a reason then dealerships are just such slime balls that they can make sure the average person doesn't stand a chance compared to the rich who blow money away
You want the government to control how much a dealership can charge for a car?

I figured in a free country, if you don't like the price of a good, you don't buy it. Then, either the price of the good comes down because enough people agree with you, or it sells anyways because enough people can't afford it. Maybe that's just me talking some silly free market nonsense.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let's ignore what I said because I doubt anyone wants a political debate :)

I just hate the idea that while globally this car, Focus RS, Golf R, etc. all released at an affordable price for a middle class worker and in America we may see entire states where they cost as much as a M2 which is NOT an affordable car. The Type R has always been known for being the affordable chassis that murders high end cars.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
Let's ignore what I said because I doubt anyone wants a political debate :)

I just hate the idea that while globally this car, Focus RS, Golf R, etc. all released at an affordable price for a middle class worker and in America we may see entire states where they cost as much as a M2 which is NOT an affordable car. The Type R has always been known for being the affordable chassis that murders high end cars.
I wasn't trying to start a political argument or anything. Just seemed odd to me to complain about the price of a toy being high, and suggesting the government should make the toy cheaper. We're not talking about water or insulin here, after all.

malak33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 cw civic type r
Country flag
If no one will pay the mark up then they have no one to sell to. Why don't we all agree to not pay the mark up over MSRP. F the shady dealers!!!

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
If no one will pay the mark up then they have no one to sell to. Why don't we all agree to not pay the mark up over MSRP. F the shady dealers!!!
Exactly. They want to make money. If they can't sell a CTR above MSRP, guess what? They will lower the price. The opposite is true, if they're able to sell them at $10k above MSRP, or whatever mark-up, they'll keep selling above MSRP.

Nothing shady about this though. If you'd be running a business and selling a good that people are willing to pay thousands more for than what you'd normally be selling for, you wouldn't take the extra money?

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Issue is the people who are loaded and don't care that their 16 year old child wants this Type R thing will pay whatever cost no matter what... Us informed fans online most likely aren't the uber wealthy. We've either owned other specialty cars or always wanted to own a Type R and finally are getting the chance! Yet we won't be able to obtain them when the uninformed buyers will just pay whatever because they can be taken advantage of.

Now sure in a year when the dealers have sold to all these idiots willing to pay 10k over asking price then we will get our turn... I just don't honestly believe that Honda themselves wanted that. They are selling a zero profit car to drum up furor for the brand!

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Issue is the people who are loaded and don't care that their 16 year old child wants this Type R thing will pay whatever cost no matter what... Us informed fans online most likely aren't the uber wealthy. We've either owned other specialty cars or always wanted to own a Type R and finally are getting the chance! Yet we won't be able to obtain them when the uninformed buyers will just pay whatever because they can be taken advantage of.

Now sure in a year when the dealers have sold to all these idiots willing to pay 10k over asking price then we will get our turn... I just don't honestly believe that Honda themselves wanted that. They are selling a zero profit car to drum up furor for the brand!
I agree 100%. $40 or 50K is like chump change for those looking for something different but desirable.

These are the ones who have the NSX for weekend cars and will buy a Type R for a daily driver. I have no problem with that except when they pay more, the rest of us to pay the same price or more. Focus RS is a great example.

Last edited:

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exactly my reason of why I wish manufacturers would punish dealerships who do this. Especially the Ford Focus RS in michigan. They wanted 20k above manufacturer price when it released and rich idiots were gobbling them up!

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You want the government to control how much a dealership can charge for a car?

I figured in a free country, if you don't like the price of a good, you don't buy it. Then, either the price of the good comes down because enough people agree with you, or it sells anyways because enough people can't afford it. Maybe that's just me talking some silly free market nonsense.
Since I'm on the buying end of the transaction, of course I'd love for the price to be as low as possible. Having said that, I'm pro-capitalism (no, not the perverted/twisted modern definition of the word - which is more like corporatism or "crony" capitalism) all the way. In a free market, transactions between parties are voluntary and everyone comes out ahead, otherwise, the transaction wouldn't happen. Price reflects supply and demand. If the price is too high, people won't buy and the seller will be forced to slash prices. This is price discovery working in the marketplace. The same idea behind price "gouging" of gas during natural disaster emergencies. Not really gouging on the part of the gas station as gas isn't getting to the station at the same rate as before and they aren't making as much money anyway. If people deem gas too expensive, there are other gas stations down the street. This mechanism of price discovery also prevents morons from hoarding gas filling up 20 jugs with 100 cars waiting in line, thus mitigating shortage risks. More people have access to gas and to those who really need it.
Sponsored