Cross shopping with Veloster N

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Hello again,

First, thanks for all your answers!!

So I've got a funny little story... I just went to my local Honda dealer for service and while waiting I saw their type R in Boost Blue Pearl. Holy Molly... is it great ... a bit overstyled but it just connects with mi inner kid that refuses to grow up. Such a gorgeous car.

Of course, Wife has to approve, so I decided to make a video to show her. As I wanted to be polite, before I took the camera off I went to the receptionist and asked : "is it ok if I take a video?" Well... the receptionist, incorrectly assuming that I was about to ask for a test drive, answered : "Of course not" with such a condescending tone, rolling her eyes backwards ... I really felt like sh***t. Ok, it was early in the morning and I was not wearing my best suit sort of speak but still.... why that attitude?

Not only that, but also I saw that the car came with a beautiful $4k dealer markup over sticker price ....

I guess this was my unofficial welcome to the Type R owner wannabe problems. Any advice? I live in Rochester NY .

Thanks!
Expand your search. There are plenty of dealerships in upstate NY. I purchased mine in Watertown, they had a lower markup. There's 3 Honda dealers near Syracuse.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I still had my '17 SI, and a while before I traded last year for an '18 CTR, I did take a Veloster N for a test drive. It is an impressive car, period. Even my mini test drive - I didn't really get to put it thought it's paces -was impressive. That said, I actually decided to keep my SI, as it felt more natural to me behind the wheel, and I am not a huge fan of the three door vs. four door approach.
Hyundai / Kia have stepped up tremendously to be sure. But the memory of my two Kia Sportages, their fatal electrical issues that the dealers could not, and finally would not, fix, left a bad taste in my mouth for how they treat their customers. The Korean cars are better now. Much better. But are they treating their customers better? Don't know, not willing to roll the dice. No issues with any Honda service departments so far.
The markup is tough on a new CTR, some dealers - very few - sell at MSRP. Good luck on that. I chose to buy a 2018 in mint shape, with an 8 year extended warranty, and low miles for what it was supposed to sell for new. And am ecstatic. I had no issues with my SI - first Honda I ever owned- and expect the same with the CTR. For the money, the Veloster N is amazing. If you have to have a new car (why?) then in reality the Veloster N may be $ 10-15,000 less than a new Type R. If you can find one. I have not seen any markups on the Veloster N. Yet.
I do feel the difference, at least for me, spending $ 35K for an almost-new CTR vs. $ 30 K for a new Veloster N, was well worth it.
The cost of a new CTR, with ADM? Not feeling it. Unless you don't care and won't miss the money. Yes, I know for another $ 10K+ with ADM I could have had the newer brakes, the faster responding suspension software, a volume knob, and some unwanted nannies and additional horizontal trim pieces on the back and front. I'm good.
So what am I suggesting?
If you can't go more than $ 30K, get a Veloster N if you like it
. If you can spring for a little more, a late model CTR will return better resale. And is a better daily. And certainly a better track car. Besides, you will almost certainly get to test drive the Veloster N. You will probably get to test drive a preowned CTR. I did. Getting a new CTR test drive? Good luck on that.

OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
When I still had my '17 SI, and a while before I traded last year for an '18 CTR, I did take a Veloster N for a test drive. It is an impressive car, period. Even my mini test drive - I didn't really get to put it thought it's paces -was impressive. That said, I actually decided to keep my SI, as it felt more natural to me behind the wheel, and I am not a huge fan of the three door vs. four door approach.
Hyundai / Kia have stepped up tremendously to be sure. But the memory of my two Kia Sportages, their fatal electrical issues that the dealers could not, and finally would not, fix, left a bad taste in my mouth for how they treat their customers. The Korean cars are better now. Much better. But are they treating their customers better? Don't know, not willing to roll the dice. No issues with any Honda service departments so far.
The markup is tough on a new CTR, some dealers - very few - sell at MSRP. Good luck on that. I chose to buy a 2018 in mint shape, with an 8 year extended warranty, and low miles for what it was supposed to sell for new. And am ecstatic. I had no issues with my SI - first Honda I ever owned- and expect the same with the CTR. For the money, the Veloster N is amazing. If you have to have a new car (why?) then in reality the Veloster N may be $ 10-15,000 less than a new Type R. If you can find one. I have not seen any markups on the Veloster N. Yet.
I do feel the difference, at least for me, spending $ 35K for an almost-new CTR vs. $ 30 K for a new Veloster N, was well worth it.
The cost of a new CTR, with ADM? Not feeling it. Unless you don't care and won't miss the money. Yes, I know for another $ 10K+ with ADM I could have had the newer brakes, the faster responding suspension software, a volume knob, and some unwanted nannies and additional horizontal trim pieces on the back and front. I'm good.
So what am I suggesting?
If you can't go more than $ 30K, get a Veloster N if you like it
. If you can spring for a little more, a late model CTR will return better resale. And is a better daily. And certainly a better track car. Besides, you will almost certainly get to test drive the Veloster N. You will probably get to test drive a preowned CTR. I did. Getting a new CTR test drive? Good luck on that.
This is an answer, objective and informative. Thank you so much, you helped me a lot actually

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the kind of shit that gets the entire Honda community labeled as "fanboys".
I am a fan of companies that make well engineered, reliable products and support them. I have owned two Hondas. But I have owned two dozen vehicles. Hyundai should be so lucky to earn 'fan-boys'. They are making great progress there, but have a ways to go. Fan boys? It's a good thing. It means you have impressed car buyers. Not scared them away.
I don't think Honda has a monopoly on good engineering, or reliability, etc. So in that sense I am not a 'fan boy'. But I do appreciate that they are one of the best.
Look at the history. The first Hondas ever made had better designed engines than Lamborghini And were better than most of what was out there from companies that had been making cars for years. Talking about the S600: 9.500 rpm redline, could go to 11,000 without hurting the engine, superefficient, disc brakes, four carbs, a shifter better than anything made now, achingly beautiful styling, etc. 60 years ago. First try. Yeah, so Honda has earned its fans from the get go. I don't love every Honda ever made. But I respect them.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I am a fan of companies that make well engineered, reliable products and support them. I have owned two Hondas. But I have owned two dozen vehicles. Hyundai should be so lucky to earn 'fan-boys'. They are making great progress there, but have a ways to go. Fan boys? It's a good thing. It means you have impressed car buyers. Not scared them away.
I don't think Honda has a monopoly on good engineering, or reliability, etc. So in that sense I am not a 'fan boy'. But I do appreciate that they are one of the best.
Look at the history. The first Hondas ever made had better designed engines than Lamborghini And were better than most of what was out there from companies that had been making cars for years. Talking about the S600: 9.500 rpm redline, could go to 11,000 without hurting the engine, superefficient, disc brakes, four carbs, a shifter better than anything made now, achingly beautiful styling, etc. 60 years ago. First try. Yeah, so Honda has earned its fans from the get go. I don't love every Honda ever made. But I respect them.
What you posted has literally nothing to do with the comment I quoted and responded to.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What you posted has literally nothing to do with the comment I quoted and responded to.
I was thinking the same thing.

I mean I'm glad that other guy loves his base Civic hatch. But to say he'd take a base hatch over the Biermann designed Veloster N is well beyond fanboy-ism.

Pzb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Country flag
Hi All,

I was wondering who on the forum cross shopped the CTR with the Veloster N and what made you choose the CTR.

I was thinking on upgrading my base civic for next year into a CTR, but the N seems hard to beat. Those exhaust crackles and pops....
The CTR 2017 MSRP was reasonable. In 2021 it’s too high for its performance.
That said, the Veloster N is a better deal with a similar fun factor. Now because fwd is limited regardless of the power, I would go after a used Mustang GT or Focus RS. Power is more fun, more usable in the real world.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
theres no comparing the build quality of ANY hyundai vs ANY honda product
I have a dog and child so needed a big back seat and hatch that the N just did not offer. And I honestly was not cross - shopping the N when I bought the CTR, but an Alfa Guilia. I am almost 50 yr old and buying a Hyundai just was not appropriate. I made a great decision and likely will never sell the CTR, which I could not say about the Hyundai.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
The CTR 2017 MSRP was reasonable. In 2021 it’s too high for its performance.
That said, the Veloster N is a better deal with a similar fun factor. Now because fwd is limited regardless of the power, I would go after a used Mustang GT or Focus RS. Power is more fun, more usable in the real world.
I feel like the same argument can be made for people that live in the mountains/take twisty roads for the CTR.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a dog and child so needed a big back seat and hatch that the N just did not offer. And I honestly was not cross - shopping the N when I bought the CTR, but an Alfa Guilia. I am almost 50 yr old and buying a Hyundai just was not appropriate. I made a great decision and likely will never sell the CTR, which I could not say about the Hyundai.
that alfa is a beauttttt. guy in my building has a silver quadrifoglio and a pearl white/silver giulia as a daily. they lose value like you wouldnt believe though

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
M
It's rumored that they will also strip out the fancy AWD system for our market.
I swear we get the crappiest version of cars over here most times. Haven’t read that yet but would suck if they did that.

dietbepis1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I test drove the Veloster N and while I thought it was really fun, I found the new seats in to be too small. I am not very tall (only 5'8") but I have large shoulders and lats and the seats pushed me into a hunched position.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Crazy Kanga

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
So I just went back to the dealer service to pick up my civic sedan.

I took Wife to have a look at the Type R BBP. Wife said it was horrible. My inner youngster died a little bit.

End of the type R road for me, pals.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
So I just went back to the dealer service to pick up my civic sedan.

I took Wife to have a look at the Type R BBP. Wife said it was horrible. My inner youngster died a little bit.

End of the type R road for me, pals.
RIP in peace, brother
Sponsored