TXMeg24

Gig 'em
First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2008 (RIP); Shopping for new Civic Si 2018
I can't decide which color to get for a new 2017/18 Si Sedan. I originally wanted white since my '08 Si was white and I loved it. However, I'm not quite sure I like the look of the white (or any color really) with the contrasting black honeycomb fake vents in the rear. But I don't know, maybe it could grow on me? Did anyone else find these unattractive at first or am I in the minority?

So that led me to lean towards black since the fake vents are much less noticeable when they are the same color as the car, therefore creating a cleaner, less flashy look (which is perfectly fine with me). But, I do live in Texas now and have been told not to get a black car because it will get too hot. I'm from New England, so I've never experienced this, but theoretically it makes sense.... but is it really that bad? Like enough to not buy that color if it's the one you think looks best?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get what you want. Tint helps the interior immensely. In Texas with a black car, you can always cook food on your hood if the SHTF.

Joking aside, I found the black sparkely (can't remember the proper name) paint required a LOT of care to look good on my 9th gen. It would look dull and get water spots at nothing. Mind you, I didn't put a lot of effort into it, but I would be down on myself for not polishing/waxing more often. I got red this time. I've always thought Honda's had a so-so paint job at best. I recall one of my buddies got his 8th gens repainted on Honda's dime from a class action lawsuit, if memory serves. My RSXs were better, but not great.

I am in the 'looked really stupid' bandwagon. They've grown on me slightly, but being non functional, they'll probably meh, at best. I love the lines of this car, profile, front end, hood, rear fenders, but think a 9th gen SI rear looks far better. My kids LOVE the fake vents. They think it's a rocket ship. It's the first thing my oldest, 7, talked about. Maybe it will someday appeal to the 7 year old in me and I'll grow to love it. Probably not...

At least I don't loath it like I did when I first saw pictures of it.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
I can't decide which color to get for a new 2017/18 Si Sedan. I originally wanted white since my '08 Si was white and I loved it. However, I'm not quite sure I like the look of the white (or any color really) with the contrasting black honeycomb fake vents in the rear. But I don't know, maybe it could grow on me? Did anyone else find these unattractive at first or am I in the minority?

So that led me to lean towards black since the fake vents are much less noticeable when they are the same color as the car, therefore creating a cleaner, less flashy look (which is perfectly fine with me). But, I do live in Texas now and have been told not to get a black car because it will get too hot. I'm from New England, so I've never experienced this, but theoretically it makes sense.... but is it really that bad? Like enough to not buy that color if it's the one you think looks best?
White orchid pearl, crystal black pearl, or lunar silver are my top 3 color choices.

Ive owned a good amount of white and black cars, here is my take on the topic.

White - Its a clean color, cool, and fresh. In hot and sunny climates, white just feels good.
As for the contrasting black trim/vents/etc. I can tolerate it. Not my first choice but its fine.

Black - A classic color, can be menacing and mysterious. Looks amazing when properly cared for, no paint has the depth and mirror like shine that a black has.
It will show imperfections/scratches/etc much more than white, less forgiveness.
Also in the case of the 10th gen Civics, black is the best color for hiding the vents.

Between the 2 colors my first choice is always white, followed by black.

Silver is cool to if you want a compromise between the two colors, it shows off the lines the best and has a mechanical look.

Regarding tint, rolling fishbowl status you will feel the heat and the prying eyes.

I suggest going with a high quality film to protect your skin, the car's interior, and gain some privacy.
Plus it looks pretty damn good.

I am running 3M crystalline 40% all around on my Si coupe, the heat rejection is amazing and it looks nice.

Good luck with your decision, make sure you get the color you know you can live with so no buyer's remorse.

P.S. Here is a photo of my white orchid pearl coupe.
Honda Civic 10th gen Color? 80-img_2038_6158e12dba996dcbf4e362fc1a9cd132cbf182e7

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Maybe this will help...

Allow me to make a poor attempt at a color analysis without letting too much bias creep in...

White Orchid Pearl - Looks luxurious - especially in certain light. It's easy to maintain and doesn't get as hot in the Summer. It's been a popular color and has replaced solid white as a standard color for almost every model of vehicle on the road (except fleet vehicles which remain solid white) making it somewhat common.

Crystal Black Pearl - Classic and sinister. Hides the controversial faux vents. Hottest in the Summer. Must be meticulously maintained in avoid showing road film, scratches and swirl marks, but beautiful after a proper detail...until it rains.

Aegean Blue Metallic - This is a very rich blue. It's a soothing, yet fun and eye-catching color. Being somewhat dark, it tends to show swirl marks if you're not careful.

Lunar Silver Metallic - A very "high-tech"-looking color. It's easy to maintain, popular, and safe.

Polished Metal Metallic - Gray is very "safe", but can be somewhat boring. It is a good choice if you want to blend in and not draw attention.

Energy Green Pearl (coupe only) - "Look at meee!!!" This is a very fun, juvenile color. It's unique even in the universe of vehicle colors and will most definitely attract the most attention.

Rallye Red - This is a classic sports car color and the Si's signature color. It's the only non-metallic and non-pearlescent color available on the Si, so it's unique in this regard and is the easiest to touch-up. Rallye Red also essentially eliminates the need to spend $400-600 on the red front "lip" (front underbody spoiler) for appearance reasons since it's the same color as the car. A bonus is that a Ralley Red Si already has somewhat of a JDM badge on the back since vehicle's color shows through the chrome H. :)

My choices were limited to white, black, and red. Blue and green clash with the red badges and interior stitching. Silver and gray are too safe. I already have a white vehicle and I've had enough black ones to know how much maintenance they require, so the process of elimination lead me to Ralley Red.
Honda Civic 10th gen Color? Webp.net-gifmaker (3)

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Zroger73: I read the same article. I too thought grey was boring but then I looked at it in the dealership, it looks great in the SI Coupe.

With my OCD, the car will be wash every week and wax every month! Lol.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Modern steel was my wife's first choice, but also liked the red a lot. I was indifferent between the two, but thought the modern steel looked very classy. Finding one anywhere around on summer rubber was not to be... and I think the car looks in-its-own in red... albeit less grown up.

Modern steel was close to the color of our Odyssey and I'm glad we went bright/different. I think it would have looked odd in the driveway... like wearing blue jeans and a blue t-shirt that are two different shades of blue...

556ALPHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
The red is a very nice looking color on the Civic

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
...I'm not quite sure I like the look of the white (or any color really) with the contrasting black honeycomb fake vents in the rear. But I don't know, maybe it could grow on me? Did anyone else find these unattractive at first or am I in the minority?
No I think you're in the majority. I still think they look stupid, hehe, but I'm able to overlook them. For some reason I think they would look ok on Aegean Blue.

...But, I do live in Texas now and have been told not to get a black car because it will get too hot. I'm from New England, so I've never experienced this, but theoretically it makes sense.... but is it really that bad? Like enough to not buy that color if it's the one you think looks best?
I think they all get hot. Like a previous member said, quality tint will help. As well as a windshield sun shade.

On a side note, have you considered Rallye Red? It's flashy as hell but hey, you only live once. Honda Civic 10th gen Color? 20171013_085800

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
WOP is my vote! It literally sparkles at night :cool:

Honestly though, I think every color looks nice on this car because the carā€™s design itself looks very nice in my opinion. Neighbors think Iā€™m weird because Iā€™m always standing outside looking at my car even at night :dunno:

Honda Civic 10th gen Color? 58337BD6-C1F3-43E4-9F49-8D577505B2A0

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
If black is the color you want then get black. Iā€™m in Texas and I have a black Si. The heat wasnā€™t too bad imo but it is lightly tinted. Personally I kind of wish I went with the white paint instead cause that was my first option but somehow went with black. Still looks great though

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
For certain subjects, too much knowledge is not a good thing.

My previous car was a black 1999 Honda Prelude. All was good because I did not know anything about car detailing. I then bought a silver Mercedes and I learnt all about detailing. I would wash the car every week and wax every month. Some weekend, I would spend hours to remove swirls. Imagine if I buy a black far!
Sponsored