Jeremiah T

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I'm debating between the K&N CAI vs the PRL Cobra. From what i've read, the Cobra gives more power but is more difficult to install. is the harder installation and higher price worth it over the K&N? Or do they have essentially the same benefits?
Sponsored

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Although some intakes to increase some hp, they don't really produce power but more sound

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
PRL all the way. The K&N is more of a hot air intake. Also, the PRL won't throw off your fuel trims the way the K&N likely will.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm debating between the K&N CAI vs the PRL Cobra. From what i've read, the Cobra gives more power but is more difficult to install. is the harder installation and higher price worth it over the K&N? Or do they have essentially the same benefits?
PRL all the way. Don’t waste your money on anything else. Btw you’re not going to feel any power on stock tune or a basemap. Only sound. You will get the benefit of the cold air wire but you’ll get the real potential and power out of a custom tune. Long story short, go with PRL. I had Injen CAI and threw my fuel trims WAYYYY off.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is the K&N intake CARB legal?

I don't like the massive 'whoosh' sound the PRL intake gives, either. If K&N does the same thing, you can count me out I guess.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The PRL isn't really hard to install, you just have to get the car off the ground and remove the lower airbox from underneath. It has one bolt holding it in that is a b*$&%. Other than that, not bad. If you have a jack, jack stands, and some pretty basic hand tools, it is straight forward and fitment is spot-on. If I didn't want to deal with the lower box and wanted an easier install, then I'd go Mishimoto. I haven't ever seen how they do with regard to fuel trims, but that would be the one I'd be looking at for an easier install. Actually, you could just go PRL short ram if you really wanted. That is a super easy install and you could upgrade to the full CAI down the line if you wanted. That's actually the order that I did things (PRL SRI and then a few months later just went full CAI). Wait to see what kind of BF deals there are being that we are this close.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
The PRL isn't really hard to install, you just have to get the car off the ground and remove the lower airbox from underneath. It has one bolt holding it in that is a b*$&%. Other than that, not bad. If you have a jack, jack stands, and some pretty basic hand tools, it is straight forward and fitment is spot-on. If I didn't want to deal with the lower box and wanted an easier install, then I'd go Mishimoto. I haven't ever seen how they do with regard to fuel trims, but that would be the one I'd be looking at for an easier install. Actually, you could just go PRL short ram if you really wanted. That is a super easy install and you could upgrade to the full CAI down the line if you wanted. That's actually the order that I did things (PRL SRI and then a few months later just went full CAI). Wait to see what kind of BF deals there are being that we are this close.
I'm hoping 27won has a sale, really wanna get my hands on their intake :headbang:

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
NO CAI will give you more than a couple HP.......don't believe the claims.......it's more for sound and engine bling.
That's why on the boxes you see the words "up to" as far as HP increase.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
NO CAI will give you more than a couple HP.......don't believe the claims.......it's more for sound and engine bling.
That's why on the boxes you see the words "up to" as far as HP increase.
I know. I love the blow off sound it give though lol

MC-rath

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 RSX Type-S 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Get the PRL. I love mine and the install wasn't difficult at all.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Having bought the PRL Cobra myself, if I was in your situation, I'd either leave it stock or buy the PRL Cobra. Install is easy enough.

laz's SI

First Name
Lazaro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civi SI 4 door/ 2017 F-150
Country flag
Buy the Cobra , the install is not that bad , make sure to get the street maf, unless you have the Ktuner then get the race

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The one thing stopping me from wanting the PRL is the "whoosh" sound because I love the turbo build-up sound so much, and maybe it seems inevitable to not have one without the other. I'll be honest, the "whoosh" to me sounds like there is a defect in the car (not saying there actually is, but the perceived sound to me is like a gasket getting loose or something). I have a few questions regarding it, though:

1) Is there anything else out there that can give you a "hiss" release instead of a "whoosh" release, with the same turbo buildup? Is there one that doesn't give any release sound at all while having turbo buildup sounds?

2) Is it just as long, loud, and obtrusive every time you let off the gas of any sort of turbo spooling? Or is more spool louder, longer, and more obtrusive? Just wondering under daily driving conditions as well. If I don't hit a certain psi or a certain RPM, will I even hear it? I don't mind subtlety.

3) Of course, I can't seem to find a video of what it sounds like when the windows are up. Maybe that is the ticket and will give my preferred sound to it. However, can I still hear the turbo that way?

Thanks. Sorry, I know some people will say that maybe this is just not for me then, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. I want to know if it can be for me, because I do want that turbo spooling sound. That was one reason I wanted to look into the K&N CAI or the K&N filter, but it sounds like those too may have some drawbacks.

Last edited:

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one thing stopping me from wanting the PRL is the "whoosh" sound because I love the turbo build-up sound so much, and maybe it seems inevitable to not have one without the other. I'll be honest, the "whoosh" to me sounds like there is a defect in the car (not saying there actually is, but the perceived sound to me is like a gasket getting loose or something). I have a few questions regarding it, though:

1) Is there anything else out there that can give you a "hiss" release instead of a "whoosh" release, with the same turbo buildup? Is there one that doesn't give any release sound at all while having turbo buildup sounds?

2) Is it just as long, loud, and obtrusive every time you let off the gas of any sort of turbo spooling? Or is more spool louder, longer, and more obtrusive? Just wondering under daily driving conditions as well. If I don't hit a certain psi or a certain RPM, will I even hear it? I don't mind subtlety.

3) Of course, I can't seem to find a video of what it sounds like when the windows are up. Maybe that is the ticket and will give my preferred sound to it. However, can I still hear the turbo that way?

Thanks. Sorry, I know some people will say that maybe this is just not for me then, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. I want to know if it can be for me, because I do want that turbo spooling sound. That was one reason I wanted to look into the K&N CAI or the K&N filter, but it sounds like those too may have some drawbacks.
The whoosh is not that pronounced with PRL CAI. Certainly not in car. Unless you are hard on throttle it is nearly imperceptible. The SRI, yeah, it gets loud. The CAI, much, much less so. The videos you see on the internet make it sound much louder than it is. Maybe it’s louder outside of the car, IDK, I’m always inside.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL stage 1 isn't loud at all unless you take the intake resonator out. It does increase sound though. Colder or hotter air being sucked in through the intake is gonna get hot regardless because its going into a turbo that compresses it. If you want colder air, better intercooler. Unless you're gonna get tuned and what not, stock intake ftw.

I know there's dyno's proving power gains but for the price, its not a whole lot. I like the whoosh sound so I have their short ram. Definitely didn't feel any gains but I wanted the sound haha. Good luck on the intake hunt though man, hope you find something you like.
Sponsored