fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
That video got a ton of flak when it was posted. I dont dislike bisi but that video wasn't his best work. In the end, our engines measure intake air from the MAF sensor and add fuel according to that. If you vent that air after it is accounted for, you're running rich every time your BOV engages. I know some argue that the MAP sensor will account for this, but there are a multitude of people who have had issues and the general consensus is that this is not smart. Potential damage to your engine in exchange for a cool sound. There is no evidence that our recirc valves are causing power loss, so this is not a performance upgrade in any way, strictly a sound upgrade.
Thanks, yeah I just looked up some of the responses to it. I knew of Bisi from the 1000hp honda odyssey so thought maybe he knew his stuff, but it seems the long term consensus from all the tuners that it can be harmful holds true.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I had to go back a few years but I found an interesting post from VitViper (the original 10th gen tuning guru). In the screenshot below, he compares fuel trims with the stock BPV and then with a BOV. You be the judge:

Honda Civic 10th gen Bov Screenshot_20210307-213052

Last edited:

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Here's a question: if you were getting a custom tune, could you tune to account for the air loss from the BOV?

OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just saw this video:

He is claiming there is no issue with using a BOV and it is a myth and seems to have the data to show that. I won't claim to know one way or the other.
Yea I seen this video too, and honestly that’s what helped my idea of running a Bov. Most threads did mention he did a couple dyno runs and maybe didn’t show anything much but he wouldn’t able to confirm the longevity of the engine because he doesn’t daily drive this platform or invested. Also while reading these threads I seen edge Motorsport reply and were saying something along the line of they’ve sold plenty of Bov and haven’t had any complaints from customers or their own experience. I personally took mine off even tho I bought my Bov from them and their video also convinced me to try this Bov.

appreciate the info

OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I had to go back a few years but I found an interesting post from VitViper (the original 10th gen tuning guru). In the screenshot below, he compares fuel trims with the stock BPV and then with a BOV. You be the judge:

Screenshot_20210307-213052.png
Has there been someone with a cai, or with a intercooler, and maybe a race maf running a Bov? Since more fuel is going into the engine, would it be possible to eventually tune it to a good air to fuel ratio?

appreciate the picture

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Here's a question: if you were getting a custom tune, could you tune to account for the air loss from the BOV?
Has there been someone with a cai, or with a intercooler, and maybe a race maf running a Bov? Since more fuel is going into the engine, would it be possible to eventually tune it to a good air to fuel ratio?

appreciate the picture
No. No. No. The ONLY way to run a BOV on ANY 10th gen is with a standalone (MoTeC or similar) ECU and tune for Speed Density. A BOV will hurt any MAF car in the long run.

/thread.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
In every one of these threads, the more important issue of why aftermarket valves (recirculating or atmospheric) are bad gets glossed over it seems. Honda is using the BPV as part of the boost control strategy, so throwing an aftermarket valve on there throws off the ECU's ability to accurately control boost. I haven't seen of the mainstream tuners say that this functionality can be modified either. That or it's just not worthwhile dealing with since the stock BPV works just fine.

In the Subaru world the whole "you'll run rich during shifts" issue was discussed ad-nauseum for the reason not to use a BOV, but at the end of the day it's only a split second and not going to damage anything other than maybe burn out the cat after a long time. The bigger issue w/ the BOVs (aside from the boost control issue) is that they often leak if not adjusted properly or maintained.

tl;dr - don't use any aftermarket valve as the ECU is relying on the BPV to help control boost

edit: I should also make it clear that because the ECU is trying to use the BPV help with boost, if you are using an BOV, then during those times that the ECU is using the valve to control boost you are venting metered air as well which is no-bueno.

Last edited:

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
That is why I use the torque solutions BOV plate. Using stock internals ... Plastic stock piece. I am not messing with spring rates. Boomba messed y'all up big time. Then it's the stepford wives here .... BOV is bad ... Can I get you some coffee. BOV is bad .... Can I get you some coffee. My car runs identical to stock other than the release of the gas pedal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is why I use the torque solutions BOV plate. Using stock internals ... Plastic stock piece. I am not messing with spring rates. Boomba messed y'all up big time. Then it's the stepford wives here .... BOV is bad ... Can I get you some coffee. BOV is bad .... Can I get you some coffee. My car runs identical to stock other than the release of the gas pedal.
Could you please post a datalog here?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've been asking everyone who says they're running one successfully, have you looked at your valves, cylinder walls, and spark plugs recently and over time to see if there seems to be any accelerated wear? Any pics?

OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
i didn’t use boomba, I had a hks with an adapter plate. It may not mean anything difference wise but without it I was running perfectly with constantly beating on it untilI got my bov a week later to me it made sense since that’s the only engine mod and the history of Bov in general. I truly hate to say it but it was a waste of money on my end, but at the end of the day do what you please with your car. Tbh I had the best time with the Bov.?

OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've been asking everyone who says they're running one successfully, have you looked at your valves, cylinder walls, and spark plugs recently and over time to see if there seems to be any accelerated wear? Any pics?
not to be rude, obviously no one is going to give you these requests you’re asking for. You’re ask dudes who changed 3 8mm bolts to take their head off just to see the cylinder walls and valves to disappoint them ? , I’ll understand with the spark plugs or even datalogs if they are tuned.

OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
i do have a question about wear tho, once I had installed the Bov I did notice the richness and the pops but not that I took off the valves I still have that excessive pops and in between shifts at high rpm I get a pop or two, would it be that my ecu is reading rich still or it that normal after my muffler delete?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In every one of these threads, the more important issue of why aftermarket valves (recirculating or atmospheric) are bad gets glossed over it seems. Honda is using the BPV as part of the boost control strategy, so throwing an aftermarket valve on there throws off the ECU's ability to accurately control boost.
I think Derek Robinson said it best.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bov Screenshot_20210309-010759

Forget about the potential long term issues with the catalytic converter or spark plugs fouling or oil dilution. BOV's can have you overshooting your boost targets, which could be a real problem for your engine internals (imagine hitting 27psi targeting 23, for example). Over time, that can't be good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XOBrandon

XOBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think Derek Robinson said it best. Forget about the potential long terms issues with the catalytic converter or spark plugs fouling or oil dilution. BOV's can have you overshooting your boost targets, which could be a real problem for your engine internals (imagine hitting 27psi targeting 23, for example).

Screenshot_20210309-010759.png
i thought over boosting was okay? I hit 17-18 on the regular and I’m stock, I’ve even seen 21 for like a second. It’s not consistently at 17 or 18 once I hit that it goes back down to 14. On the other hand when I had my Bov I would struggle to pass 14, I think it was my installation at that point.