.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Did anyone noticed any change of ECT drops by lowering the fan engagement threshold and or by removing the metal undertray, so the air as actully somewhere to flow?
Fans only help when the car is stopped so that won't help on track at all.

Also the under tray helps with cooling, taking it off is a negative. With how the air is flowing removing the tray doesn't allow it to come out at all.
Sponsored

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
Stock I never had a problem, even on the hottest days going wot. I added a ktuner with the tsp1 tune. Did my first track day with it last weekend. Base tune no problem. Map 2 it got hot but was manageable. Map 3 it I would get 3 laps in and I have to do a cool down lap. Went one session like that and went back to map 2. I'm gonna add a koyo radiator and oil cooler next. See if that helps on map 3. At least keep map 2 under half on the temp gauge.

WS2_2569_Aug1719_CaliPhoto.jpg
I love my black Si and I wanted one. But I was this close to getting red! Man it looks good

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
During three hours almost continuous autocross driving, with two drivers, on a hot sunny afternoon, TSP map 3, there was a flashing warning on the dash "pull over as soon as safely possible." I assume it was overheating.
I installed an aftermarket grill and a turbo blanket and haven't seen the problem since, but I don't think the conditions have been quite that extreme again.
Also, towards the end of a hot track day the Si seems to have less power. I just put in a bigger intercooler and happily didn't notice any power decrease at the end of the day last weekend.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I know people tend to be wary of ethanol, but between my high flow grill and running E30, I have zero issues. My IAT2 would probably be a tad lower with an aftermarket intercooler, but the E does a good job of reducing the air charge temp and the significance airflow obstruction that goes with an intercooler doesn’t seem worth it. I also can’t see the logic in spending $800+ on an intercooler just to hit 200*F the next time I want some McNuggets.

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A big intercooler blocks airflow to the radiator, and everything else in the engine bay. Coolant temps being 200F+ was what I was referring to.
well of course, I just wanted to make sure. some people think an intercooler somehow helps overheating issues

SerotoninHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Miata
Country flag
What's your expectation of speed? Type-R will be the faster car no ways around it, mod-for-mod. To get the Si to Type-R power levels you'd theoretically have more cooling problems on track due to a higher power to cooling capacity than the Type-R.

Not the answer you are looking for, but IMO, in your shoes, I'd rather turn down the power level on the Type-R for DE's rather than switching to an Si. Have a "kill-mode" on your ECU for competitions. More hood venting. Maybe give a company like CSF a call for a custom solution.

Even the TC cars don't run full-tilt high HP, 270-330. Maybe sacrifice outright power and look to aero/suspension mods for time. Orrrrr... driver mod, driver mod, driver mod!

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's your expectation of speed? Type-R will be the faster car no ways around it, mod-for-mod. To get the Si to Type-R power levels you'd theoretically have more cooling problems on track due to a higher power to cooling capacity than the Type-R.

Not the answer you are looking for, but IMO, in your shoes, I'd rather turn down the power level on the Type-R for DE's rather than switching to an Si. Have a "kill-mode" on your ECU for competitions. More hood venting. Maybe give a company like CSF a call for a custom solution.

Even the TC cars don't run full-tilt high HP, 270-330. Maybe sacrifice outright power and look to aero/suspension mods for time. Orrrrr... driver mod, driver mod, driver mod!
this thread is 2 years old :p

I’ve since modded the hell out of my 2017 CTR, still overheated, parted out and sold it, then bought a 21 as a fun daily lol

optimoprime

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fc3
Country flag
so what was the solution for overheating SI on track days? upgraded radiator? oil cooler? which brands? what does not work.

i have an upgraded FMIC but that has nothing to do with cooling. just researching what works and what doesnt.

Directing this toward people who regularly do track days, not interested in autox or spirited driving reviews.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The Si doesn't really overheat on track in my experience, even at 5k' ASL doing a track day in moderate heat my car didn't overheat, same goes for 90F track days closer to sea level.

The car has an oil cooler and aftermarket upper grille, but stock radiator. I run it on a flex fuel tune but most track days just run 93, I haven't noticed temps getting any higher making more power on E30.

Side note, I'm not quite sure where oil temps get to on track but the Setrab 25 row cooler is more than enough for the power I'm making. We'll be evaluating temp when we start working on our own oil cooler kit later this year.

optimoprime

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fc3
Country flag
thanks for the quick response. this is the oil cooler kit you sell on the website? if your experience is only needing the oil cooler, it seems like that is alot easier install then replacing the radiator. After car is back together ill be in the garage on my own and wont have access to lifts and shop space.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
The best thing you can do for heat management is to get the heat out of the engine bay as soon as possible through the use of hood vents. It will also help improve the cooling efficiency of the radiator. I like these Trackspec ones personally.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
thanks for the quick response. this is the oil cooler kit you sell on the website? if your experience is only needing the oil cooler, it seems like that is alot easier install then replacing the radiator. After car is back together ill be in the garage on my own and wont have access to lifts and shop space.
We currently don't have any oil cooler for the Civic on our site, we have a MAP oil cooler kit on our car. It works great but after hearing people asking for on with a thermostat it's something we're looking to offer later this year. The oil cooler is a fairly easy install, the hardest part is removing the front bumper cover, but it's very easily doable without a lift.
Sponsored