OP
marheyoh's si

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I took a closer look at all four corners after work on Thursday and there's some smaller cracks starting to form on rear passenger and front left. I'd rather be proactive so I'm having DWS06+s put on tomorrow. Been eyeing them for the past year anyway and finally found my excuse ;)
Sponsored

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So now can take corners on back highways at 110+

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you are talking about those cracks they look pretty bad. Some manufacturers call that weather checking but it looks like cracks to me. It may only be on the surface layer but it can't be a good thing and it does provide an opening into the tire which can't be a good thing. It's too bad because the thread looks good. Personally I would not drive those on the highway.
I had a similar situation on an Michelin OEM tire on a previous car I owned. Was worried but was told by a tire place it was 100% superficial. Got 5 years+ out of the "cracked" tire.

Sadé Smoove

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
+1 on the OEM tires being garbage. I mean, they were black and round, but they were short on grip and compliance, and somewhat frightening in the rain compared to anything else I've used in the last several years. You'll be happy replacing them.
Tell me about it 🙄. I literally almost died in the rain on the OEM si tires. Spun the car around three full circles and still no scratch or dent. Came out unharmed but damn i literally changed to DWS06+ immediately after. Goodyear AND Honda should have a lawsuit on their hands for how bad the oem tires are

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Firestone FT140's that came stock on Non-Si turbo models are the worst tires in the rain I've ever had.

OP
OP
marheyoh's si

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I know I'm comparing arguably the best all-season performance focused tire on the market with 5 year old OEM tires but holy shit, what a difference. It's like driving on tile it feels so smooth. The drive home from the shop I was at a loss for words and had a smile from ear to ear the entire time. What a quality of life improvement. They absorb so much more of the road imperfections at low speeds and all of the vibrations I was feeling at highway+ speeds are completely gone. I loved driving my car before but these tires have me itching to drive it all day. My only regret is not doing this sooner

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And they are exceptional in the rain.

Cnelms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic ex hatch, 2015 F150 XLT
Country flag
My SI tires are terrible. they spin on damp roads and make tons of noise to the point i thought they may need balanced. I wouldn't go over 5 years on a daily tire but my mustang still has tires from 08 😬

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
@marheyoh's that is a great testimony as to how tires with new rubber and technology can make a world of difference in your ride. Thank you for taking the time to report out. We are glad you are loving driving your ride even more. :thumbsup:

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I literally almost died in the rain on the OEM si tires. Spun the car around three full circles and still no scratch or dent.
Wow. How did that happen? Why didn't the VSA save you before spinning out? Were they underinflated on the rear?

Sadé Smoove

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Wow. How did that happen? Why didn't the VSA save you before spinning out? Were they underinflated on the rear?
No, they're just really shitty and easy to hydroplane in. I was only going about 60 65 on a wet road after it had stopped raining and made a slight lane change as I was lightly braking and the car completely spun out multiple times. Everyone complains about the crappy OEM tires

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
@BrandonSmith Goodyear Assurance Maxlife tires are a solid choice. You must be servicing the tires correctly to get the full mileage out of them. Most high mileage tires that are not serviced properly come up short. :thumbsup:
I drive 90% highway, about 35,000 miles per year the past 3 years. I get my tires rotated, balanced, refilled at Discount Tire every oil change. Other than that, no other servicing, no checking pressure, etc. Well, I also get my alignment checked (free at NTB) every tire change.