Apple Carplay, NAV and other issues

Wooly1NY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, Cosmic Blue
Bought a 2016 Civic Touring in Cosmic Blue 6 weeks ago. The following issues are plaguing the car:
1. Cannot pick up VM
2. Some songs will not play, though both the car and phone indicate that the song is playing - no sound comes out.
3. Audiobooks: no sound comes out, even though the audio is indicated as playing.
4. iPod playback full of static at the start of each song, playback very slow to start.
5. On one occasion, NAV screen indicated that I was driving though unknown rivers and across roads I've never heard of. forced reboot seemed to correct - for now.
6. Screen has locked up many times, have done a forced reboot a few times to get the unit going again.
All very disappointing.
I use only Apple usb connectors, and have swapped them out for new ones. Still doesn't work right.
Dealer says there is nothing they can do, it's Apple and Garmin that have to fix it.
American Honda walked me though a full data reset. Problems still exist.
Wish me luck.
I cannot begin to express how disappointed I am with this car. I drive 2500 miles a month, and the technology was a big draw to this car.
Sponsored

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
3 months with my 2016 Civic touring, things that work are great, but Car Play is a mixed bag on the 2016 Honda Civics. Main issues I've experienced is random "no device connected" message when using Car Play after starting the car, plugging in iPhone, which requires disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone. Sometimes after having Lane Watch camera on, after it turns off, audio is garbled/stuttering until disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone. Most recent Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for infotainment has been applied, still have issues. Other issue is random sub-woofer rattle on Touring models, there are other threads on that issue. When audio-infotainment system works it's great, but a lot of odd random bugs needs to be ironed out. Overall, it seems Honda America and dealers are not all that helpful. Coming from a 2010 VW Jetta never had so many odd bugs in a vehicle.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
3 months with my 2016 Civic touring, things that work are great, but Car Play is a mixed bag on the 2016 Honda Civics. Main issues I've experienced is random "no device connected" message when using Car Play after starting the car, plugging in iPhone, which requires disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone. Sometimes after having Lane Watch camera on, after it turns off, audio is garbled/stuttering until disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone. Most recent Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for infotainment has been applied, still have issues. Other issue is random sub-woofer rattle on Touring models, there are other threads on that issue. When audio-infotainment system works it's great, but a lot of odd random bugs needs to be ironed out. Overall, it seems Honda America and dealers are not all that helpful. Coming from a 2010 VW Jetta never had so many odd bugs in a vehicle.
I just got my Touring model on Thursday. Previous to that I was driving around in a 2006 Honda Pilot where I installed a Pioneer 4000NEX unit that supported CarPlay. I can tell you that many of the issues with CarPlay are not isolated to the Civic. I'd have random lockups and shutdowns and inability to play audio in my Pilot as well. But overall I feel like the CarPlay support in the Civic is much smoother and faster than it was with my aftermarket unit. And having it integrated in the car versus being a "tack on" is much nicer as well.

Believe it or not, many of the random issues that others have had with CarPlay can be traced back to the cable. CarPlay seems to be very picky about the cable being used and seems to be the most happy when using an Apple branded cable.

Remember, most / all of the CarPlay functionality runs on your iPhone so many of the problems reside there and will be the responsibility of Apple to eventually fix in an iOS update. That isn't to say that Honda isn't responsible for some of the issues we will run into. But I can tell you I have used CarPlay ever since it came out and at the beginning it was unusable and full of bugs. It has come a LONG way in terms of overall usability and stability.

With all that said, I have also run into many of the issues you all are mentioning as well in the few days I have had my Touring. But I have shrugged most of them off as I had way worse in the early stages of using it in my Pilot and feel confident that Apple / Honda will get them straightened out.

RC

OP
OP

Wooly1NY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my Touring model on Thursday. Previous to that I was driving around in a 2006 Honda Pilot where I installed a Pioneer 4000NEX unit that supported CarPlay. I can tell you that many of the issues with CarPlay are not isolated to the Civic. I'd have random lockups and shutdowns and inability to play audio in my Pilot as well. But overall I feel like the CarPlay support in the Civic is much smoother and faster than it was with my aftermarket unit. And having it integrated in the car versus being a "tack on" is much nicer as well.

Believe it or not, many of the random issues that others have had with CarPlay can be traced back to the cable. CarPlay seems to be very picky about the cable being used and seems to be the most happy when using an Apple branded cable.

Remember, most / all of the CarPlay functionality runs on your iPhone so many of the problems reside there and will be the responsibility of Apple to eventually fix in an iOS update. That isn't to say that Honda isn't responsible for some of the issues we will run into. But I can tell you I have used CarPlay ever since it came out and at the beginning it was unusable and full of bugs. It has come a LONG way in terms of overall usability and stability.

With all that said, I have also run into many of the issues you all are mentioning as well in the few days I have had my Touring. But I have shrugged most of them off as I had way worse in the early stages of using it in my Pilot and feel confident that Apple / Honda will get them straightened out.

RC
Unlike you, I cannot overlook these problems. I bought a Honda, not an Apple or Garmin. Sad to say, the problems extend to playback on the iPod, which has nothing to do with CarPlay. Waiting to hear back from American Honda.

OP
OP

Wooly1NY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
American Honda told me that software updates are being worked on for all of these issues, except iPod. Nothing offered on that score. So, after spending all this time at the dealership and on the phone with Honda, I get the same answer as the service rep gave. This may be resolved in a month, or by the end of Fall. 4 months. Don't buy this car. Dealership management is my only recourse now. Worst Honda experience ever, and we've owned 15 of them.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

RC
I only use genuine Apple lightning cables, and have tried several, same issue no matter what. The issue is buggy Honda infotainment software. Honda is responsible for all infotainment issues and how it interactes with the other stuff its connected to such as the cameras - which by the way I get random audio stutterer when CarPlay is on and Honda Lane Watch and back up cameras come on and off, Honda Link, etc. Totally unacceptable!

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sub woofer problem update - Took my Touring in to local dealer to have rattle looked at and fixed yesterday. Left it there it there for the day, their repair was foam insulation. They claimed that though Honda does not have an official TBS, they do have an advisory/guidance of time and cost to remedy the issue, which leads me to believe they know it's an issue. Drove it home with various songs at bass frequencies that had triggered rattle, so far rattle is gone, and bass actually feels and sounds better. Also, while checking in, they claimed have asked another customer with a Touring if they noticed they same issue, due to my previous calls, they said yes, but figured to wait until Honda issued an official fix.

Update, subwoofer rattle came back after a few days. Waiting for Honda to come out with a real fix. Supposedly there is a redesigned rear shelf to address the problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: