Civic Navigation system vs Apple Carplay/Android Auto?

orangejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Sedan
So my mind is set on getting the Civic Touring, and I know it comes standard with Navigation. Since I have an iPhone I know I can just use Apple CarPlay which has Apple Maps, but I'm wondering if any of you guys use The Civic's built in navigation instead? The one thing I found more useful about the Civic's navigation is that it displays the speed limit in the area which I found was really cool.

Also, does the Civic's navigation alert you when you are passing by a speed camera? I have an old Garmin GPS unit that I used to use and it would display the speed limit and it would alert me if there was an upcoming speed camera. This was really useful with driving in unfamiliar areas.
Sponsored

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I prefer the Civic's Garmin-based navigation system over Apple Maps. One thing that Apple Maps has going for it is the ease of voice navigation. Just tell Siri to "take me to work" (for example) and away you go. Whereas with the Honda navigation you have to say "Navigation...pause...Saved Places...pause...Work...pause...Navigate." On the other hand, I like how the Honda nav shows a display in your dash as well so you can still follow the visual guidance while having your music displayed on the infotainment screen.

I'm not sure about the speed camera thing. I've never seen it on mine but perhaps I just haven't passed any of them or maybe this only works in the States?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my mind is set on getting the Civic Touring, and I know it comes standard with Navigation. Since I have an iPhone I know I can just use Apple CarPlay which has Apple Maps, but I'm wondering if any of you guys use The Civic's built in navigation instead? The one thing I found more useful about the Civic's navigation is that it displays the speed limit in the area which I found was really cool.

Also, does the Civic's navigation alert you when you are passing by a speed camera? I have an old Garmin GPS unit that I used to use and it would display the speed limit and it would alert me if there was an upcoming speed camera. This was really useful with driving in unfamiliar areas.
The Civic's built-in nav is actually pretty good for what it is. I prefer Google Maps for longer trips, but for shorter ones it works quite well. I was in DC yesterday and it shockingly picked up on traffic decently accurately even on side streets (although you have to be close to a major metro area for the HD traffic to be picked up), the speed limit sign is pretty useful as well, I've always felt Google needs that as an option. The 3D building gimmick is kinda cool as well, although Google does a much better job at graphics rendering overall.

Sadly, it does not pickup on speed cameras nor red light cameras, however.

Voice recognition is complete shit for the built-in GPS though.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have an iPhone 6, but I always use the Civic's navi. I connect the iPhone through Bluetooth, and leave it in my pocket. I love that the navi system is always there, and I don't have to set up the phone every time I get in the car. I use the keyless touch entry, I love never having to take my keys out of my pocket. I guess I feel the same about not having to take the phone out of my pocket.

Usability-wise, the navi is great. It includes real-time traffic, suggests alternate routes, etc. I think it includes map updates for 5 years. The voice commands are definitely not as robust (easy) as the iPhone, but I'm usually typing in my addresses, so it's not a big deal for me. It mostly comes down to personal preference.
One thing I love, when I'm sitting in traffic, is the ability to quickly check for shortcuts by dragging the map around. I'd be a little nervous about doing this on the iPhone, as we have some pretty strict laws about using mobile devices when driving.

Sorry, I'm not sure about your speed camera question.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Galaxy S6 paired with my Civic Touring. I do like the google maps, but I like the Garmin based navi with the Civic. I used to have a regular Garmin GPS and missed it. So glad I don't have to carry my old GPS around now. Plus, it's beneficial to have the built in navi when you don't feel like using Android Auto or Carplay.

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I'm in Nova Scotia Canada, and I also own a mobile Garmin unit that's probably about 3 years old and hasn't been updated in over two years, and when I compare my Honda's built in Nav. system to my 3 year old mobile unit...the built in Nav. system is shit. When I go down to Windsor NS which is a rural town my built in nav. only recognizes that I'm driving " on a road " , where as my mobile unit shows the name of the road i'm on, and all surrounding roads too. The built in Garmin navigator may be using Garmin maps, but it's a watered down version, it's missing so much information, I'm not only disappointed with it, I'm pissed about it. Why would Honda go through the trouble of buying in to the Garmin system, only to have a simplified, watered down version of the maps? It makes no sense to me...

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I actually like the built in Garmin system. I'm in South Florida and it picks up the traffic extremely well. When I have to dictate and address it is 95% spot on. I do not like how the apple or google maps show up on the screen. The rendering isn't as good as when it appears on the actually device.

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I do like the build in navigation system, but it has gone wacky on me a few times, once trying to send me into the ocean.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do like the build in navigation system, but it has gone wacky on me a few times, once trying to send me into the ocean.
Funny you mention that. The Apple Maps on my old iPhone tried to tell me to perform an illegal U-Turn at one of the busiest intersections in my city, in the middle of rush hour, when the actual turn off was about 100 metres before the intersection. Still never forget the day that Apple's GPS tried to kill me.

I guess it's not as bad as your maps trying to send you into the ocean though. :lol:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
I prefer the Civic's Garmin-based navigation system over Apple Maps. One thing that Apple Maps has going for it is the ease of voice navigation. Just tell Siri to "take me to work" (for example) and away you go. Whereas with the Honda navigation you have to say "Navigation...pause...Saved Places...pause...Work...pause...Navigate." On the other hand, I like how the Honda nav shows a display in your dash as well so you can still follow the visual guidance while having your music displayed on the infotainment screen.

I'm not sure about the speed camera thing. I've never seen it on mine but perhaps I just haven't passed any of them or maybe this only works in the States?
It still displays the navigation on the dash while music is playing on the main screen when you do use Andriod Auto for navigation.

Last edited:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also noticed Android auto must have has some small update the other day as when google was giving me directions she verbally told me which lane I should be in for the exit. Like she said, take the left lane second from the left. When there was a total of 5 lanes with the left most going to a different location. Normally it's just keep left. With a keep right or left at the fork as you get closer.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in Nova Scotia Canada, and I also own a mobile Garmin unit that's probably about 3 years old and hasn't been updated in over two years, and when I compare my Honda's built in Nav. system to my 3 year old mobile unit...the built in Nav. system is shit. When I go down to Windsor NS which is a rural town my built in nav. only recognizes that I'm driving " on a road " , where as my mobile unit shows the name of the road i'm on, and all surrounding roads too. The built in Garmin navigator may be using Garmin maps, but it's a watered down version, it's missing so much information, I'm not only disappointed with it, I'm pissed about it. Why would Honda go through the trouble of buying in to the Garmin system, only to have a simplified, watered down version of the maps? It makes no sense to me...
Umm have you changed the amount of detail in the settings? Pretty sure you can have it display more detail with more roads and names if you want.
Sponsored