Anyone with a FK8 had input or counter shaft bearing issues?

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Curious -

I have a sound that is similar to a wheel bearing noise (almost sounds lke rubbing plastic or really noisy tires) and is accompanied by a slight mechanical feel in the steering wheel and floor board but. The sound/feeling is only present at around 3600'ish rpm in 3rd - 5th (probably 6th but dont use it much to tell) with the engine rpms resting on the drivetrain i.e very little throttle input It. This goes away if I accelerate outside of that range.
Before you ask:
- confirmed Its not a heat shield
- confirmed its not a cv joint
- Not ruling out wheel bearing but the sound/feeling does not get louder or increase as the car increases speed nor does it go away or get worse when loading up the wheel on either side (doesnt rule out rear completely but not sure)

Things I have tried without resolve
- tried rotating tires and the noise/feeling stays the same (does not move from front to back etc...)
- replaced drivers side front axle

Wondering if it is input shaft bearing or counter shaft bearing related but cant find alot (or anything at all) on the FK8 having this issue. Has anyone on here had their input or countershaft bearings have to be replaced and what were the symptoms if you have?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
Jack stands and start car, put in first gear and let her idle. Have someone watch and listen. Or step out and you watch and listen but thats on you.

OP
OP
xXoVrKiLLXx

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Jack stands and start car, put in first gear and let her idle. Have someone watch and listen. Or step out and you watch and listen but thats on you.
Yah thought about this but since it only happens at 3600ish rpm its a little sketchy lol.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I have a noise that I would describe as howling.
It's not RPM-dependent, though. It's speed-dependent. It happens between 69 and 72 MPH in 4th, 5th, or 6th.
I hear it only with some throttle. If I back off the throttle, it goes away. Touch the throttle even very slightly and it returns.
I'm pretty certain it's not tires. I've tried one set of winters and three different sets of summers. All make the same noise.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yah thought about this but since it only happens at 3600ish rpm its a little sketchy lol.
Ive done it on a lift, jack stands and it works very well to find leaks, noises, etc. Just never go under the car on jacks, you can turn the wheel all the way back and forth while doing it. Just dont rev hard, jerk the wheel, only observe and listen...and most of all its best with 2 people. If the wheels are off its best and just slowly disengage the clutch. Ive done it more times than i can count and it has helped me through the years finding stuff thats worn out, etc.

OP
OP
xXoVrKiLLXx

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
I have a noise that I would describe as howling.
It's not RPM-dependent, though. It's speed-dependent. It happens between 69 and 72 MPH in 4th, 5th, or 6th.
I hear it only with some throttle. If I back off the throttle, it goes away. Touch the throttle even very slightly and it returns.
I'm pretty certain it's not tires. I've tried one set of winters and three different sets of summers. All make the same noise.
Next time you drive can you look at the rpms in 4th and tell me where your at rpm wise. Sounds like same range id be in. Lol not ruling out it just being the hoodscoop catching air like a coke bottle when air hits it just right. Fingers crossed for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xXoVrKiLLXx

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Next question if I do have an issue - and it is one of the mentioned bearings - is that a wear item or will the powetrain warranty cover it? I am assuming its a wear item. My car has 51k on the ODO.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thats power train for sure. Anything that makes your car move/stop/turn thats not a composite material (wearable).

OP
OP
xXoVrKiLLXx

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Welp.... its the tires. I couldnt duplicate the noise with the car off the ground. I am due for an allignment and just rotated them so Ill get em balanced and the car alligned and if it still happens deal with it till I need new ones.
Sponsored