Anyone Using Adaptive Cruise Control (sensing) in Stop and Go Traffic?

OP
OP

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
Shouldn't have to press the gas again to make it move. I've also wondered if it's activating the tail lights. I would think it must, since drivers behind me haven't come flying up on my back side
Yes, it activates the tail lights whenever there is automatic slowing or brake holding when stopped. It would be stupid of the car to be auto braking and not apply the brake lights behind.

When stopped in hold mode, have to either press resume on CC or tap accelerator. They didn't make it automatically take off on its own.
Sponsored

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I just don't get why it isn't like having a metal pole between you and the car in front of you. If it's monitoring many times per second, as soon as the car in front moves, why isn't it matching it exactly? Can the sensor not read the speed accurately or is it a software issue? Following a car should the easiest job for the car to do.
First reason is that the radar is not a perfect sensor. If the car could have an actual tape measure strung between you and the car in front of you... it could be a lot better.

The thing that puzzles me is why the car would lurch forward suddenly when stop-n-go traffic resumes and I am stopped. As a human I can feather the pedal and get the car to roll forward smoothly, I don't know why the computer wouldn't be able to do that. So I'd have to agree there are issues with the software.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Yeah, last night on the highway with a long follow distance, the car ahead of me pulled onto an off ramp after a gradual right turn and slowed. My car slammed on the brakes for a second. Glad there was no one behind me. So yeah, far from perfect.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah, last night on the highway with a long follow distance, the car ahead of me pulled onto an off ramp after a gradual right turn and slowed. My car slammed on the brakes for a second. Glad there was no one behind me. So yeah, far from perfect.
The same has happened to me. I still use it though. I'm hoping a software update is released to address these issues. Lol if there is, it'll be released in the USA, and we'll get it 6 months later in Canada.

spicycho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX sedan w/ sensing
You can accelerate with ACC on to close a gap and let off once you have caught up. I agree the system is too late to accelerate and brakes too hard, but I suppose that is better than having a fender bender. The only concern is tailgaters.

Dahookup29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
It works pretty good, but it brakes hard when a car cuts in front of you. My only concern with that is tailgaters

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest thing I hate about it is when the person ahead of you turns off onto another street or into a business, the car keeps braking and takes forever to get back on the gas. Makes people think around you "wtf is this guy doing" lol

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The biggest thing I hate about it is when the person ahead of you turns off onto another street or into a business, the car keeps braking and takes forever to get back on the gas. Makes people think around you "wtf is this guy doing" lol
The thing that drives me nuts about that too is that my ACC uses a lot of gas to get up to that speed, once it finally gets the hint that there's no cars in front of you.

That's why I only use it on the 400 series or on secondary highways. In stop and go traffic, I tried it once and I felt like a rag doll getting thrown around lol.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The thing that drives me nuts about that too is that my ACC uses a lot of gas to get up to that speed, once it finally gets the hint that there's no cars in front of you.

That's why I only use it on the 400 series or on secondary highways. In stop and go traffic, I tried it once and I felt like a rag doll getting thrown around lol.
I found the exact same thing. The fuel economy with ACC is pretty good on the 400 series highways, but it goes way down when it brakes hard and accelerates hard in heavier traffic. Hopefully they'll address this in future model years, as well as put out a software update for the 2016's.

=OrionX=

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring, 2017 CR-V EX AWD
Country flag
I've also wondered if it's activating the tail lights.
It does. At night I can see the reflection of my 3rd brake lights in the rear glass. I would have to assume this is a legal requirement, or else anyone who plows into the back of a slowing Civic without brake lights could sue the pants off of Honda.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It does. At night I can see the reflection of my 3rd brake lights in the rear glass. I would have to assume this is a legal requirement, or else anyone who plows into the back of a slowing Civic without brake lights could sue the pants off of Honda.
I haven't used mine at night yet, can't see it during the day

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I'm using and experimenting with the ACC. It's fine and I like it for moving traffic with occasional stops. However, for real stop and go (with mostly stops), I find it's easier not to use it. The gas pedal is quite responsive to very light pressure that let's me inch up very slowly when the car ahead moves ahead. ACC is rather jerky in those conditions and, even if it weren't, I don't see a big advantage over doing it the old way when crawling, since you still have to press the gas to get it going with ACC and you have to be alert with the brake to make sure that the car does stop. (I drive with two feet, so my left foot is always ready to pivot onto the brake, just like my right foot pivots onto the gas.)

I do wish there were a setting where you could have lane keep come on each time you turn the engine on -- and perhaps have a similar option for brake-hold.

Anyone know why they chose 47 (?) mph as the speed to have lane-keep kick in?

Last edited:

Roombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/ HS
Country flag
There is low speed CC and High speed CC. In the low speed cc the car is capable of accelerating on it's own from a dead stop, no gas or buttons needed. From what i can tell the car can only be fully stopped for under 10 seconds. Anything longer required gas or button to resume.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
There is low speed CC and High speed CC. In the low speed cc the car is capable of accelerating on it's own from a dead stop, no gas or buttons needed. From what i can tell the car can only be fully stopped for under 10 seconds. Anything longer required gas or button to resume.
That seems the reverse of what I would think -- in Low Speed CC you are probably doing more starts and stops (some most likely long); you're saying it will only auto-resume if the stop is less than 10 seconds? In High-Speed ACC you always have to press the gas or Resume, right?

Last edited:

=OrionX=

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring, 2017 CR-V EX AWD
Country flag
I'll try the Low Speed.
Sorry for the dumb question (I'm sure there's a hundred threads on the topic, but I couldn't find any for some reason) - how do you activate "Low Speed" CC? Or do you just set the cruise at say 45mph and the car tries to get up to that speed but can't in heavy traffic...?
Sponsored