Adaptive cruise control..issue?

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
How is "adaptive cruise control" a misnomer? It's literally what it is, cruise control that adapts it's speed to the traffic.
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
You're right in most respects. On multi-lane highways it's not as big an issue, but I found myself just going the speed the other car was going, and being lazy. Had regular cruise been used, I'd have incentive to go around them...

It'll be a learning curve for a while...

taigebu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The name ACC is a misnomer as this is really advanced traffic control. Let's face it is R&D for self driving cars and we are the guinea pigs trying it out. The idea of cruise control is that you set a speed to maximize fuel efficiency by maintaining a constant speed and to avoid speed creep aka avoid speeding tickets. ACC defeats the first purpose as speed is constantly changing and then there are the huge surges trying to get back into the passing lane. With ACC you set your speed only to discover 10 minutes later you are not going that speed due to the truck ahead. It is a stupid concept for those who love driving as against being driven.
I don't get what you want it to do ? You would rather have normal Cruise Control and get to the point of an imminent collision with the truck ahead and then have the Collision Mitigation system brake at the last moment for you ?
Personally I find normal CC to be a pain exactly for the same reasons why you find ACC to be a pain: always having to manually adjust the speed based on the traffic ahead. So yeah I could always pass the slow traffic ahead while keeping the CC set but sometimes you just don't want to do it or it's not always possible...
Sponsored