adaptive cruise control

sdraza1

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
I bought Honda civic 2018 today. I was going thorough the manual (it's very lengthy). I read something called adaptive cruise control. I couldn't understand it completely. Does anyone knows what is it? thanks
Sponsored

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I bought Honda civic 2018 today. I was going thorough the manual (it's very lengthy). I read something called adaptive cruise control. I couldn't understand it completely. Does anyone knows what is it? thanks
It's part of Honda Sensing, which looks like it is standard on SE and up Canadian models. You set your speed with cruise control as you normally would but the car has a radar sensor that can see the car in front of you and will slow down and match the speed as needed. You can also adjust the distance it follows the car in front of you. My favorite part is low speed follow. If you are stuck in traffic, turn cruise on and the car will slow down and speed up automatically. It will also come to a complete stop, but if you are stopped for a few seconds you have to hit the gas to get going again (at least this is how it works in my Accord).

OP
OP

sdraza1

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
I am trying to read and understand user manual which came with Honda civic 2018 but it is very lengthy and often difficult to understand. Also pictures shown in manual are not very clear and you can't figure out arrow is pointing to what. are there any simpler and little brief instructions available from somewhere? thanks

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I am trying to read and understand user manual which came with Honda civic 2018 but it is very lengthy and often difficult to understand. Also pictures shown in manual are not very clear and you can't figure out arrow is pointing to what. are there any simpler and little brief instructions available from somewhere? thanks
Did you buy your car with Honda sense?

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag

Look at your steering wheel cruise control buttons. If you have a button to the right of the one labeled 'main' you have sensing (that particular button on sensing cars is to turn lane keep assist on and off) and adaptive cruise control. If 'main' is the only button and the two on either side are blank, you don't have sensing and just normal cruise control. Again, if you have the SE trim or up (Canada), you should have sensing. As far as using it, just set the cruise control like you normally would. But instead of you having to hit the brakes or cancel when you come up on another car in front of you, your car will slow down automatically and keep pace whatever car is in front of you. If you move to another lane or the car in front speeds up, your car will accelerate to whatever speed you have CC set for.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I was driving a '18 Camry last week a lot on the long two lane roads of Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. My first experience with ACC. At first I hated it as it kind of slams on the brakes (at least in the Toyota) as it comes up to the car in front of you. At some point I found the value, especially in a long line of cars that were going just fast enough that I didn't want to pass them. The road I'm thinking of was 65 mph speed limit but folks were going 73-75, which was fast enough. I ended up setting the cruise control at 80mph and three car lengths behind the car in front of me. This was SO much better than normal cruise control or manual throttle. I ended up using this scenario for a couple hours from fairly extreme downhill (mountain) driving even into the towns we went through. The cruise control would automatically drop down to 40 mph and I didn't really have to act at all... I became beautiful and something I'm sad I don't have on my Si.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ACC is a cool tech to have. I use it all the time whenever I drive, regardless it's city or highway. Haven't tested the auto stop yet, since I'm afraid lol. One thing I hate about ACC is that it automatically slams the brake whenever the car on either side of me slow down to make a turn/stop. I think it has something to do with the width of the lane/sensing part. The default setting for the width of lane keeping assistance is normal vs. wide.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Just for OP's understanding, ACC does not set the "distance", instead it determines the distance between your car and the car in front of you based on the driver's reaction time. This means at the same "distance" setting, the faster you go the farther you will be from the car ahead.
Please note that combining ACC with the lane keeping assist (LKAS, the button with two stripes, and it should be next to the "main" button) this is essentially a level-3 self-driving system, and the driver is required to pay attention. Put your foot near the break and focus on the road even when ACC is engaged.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
legit this is hilarious if it's for real real. :rofl:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Just for OP's understanding, ACC does not set the "distance", instead it determines the distance between your car and the car in front of you based on the driver's reaction time. This means at the same "distance" setting, the faster you go the farther you will be from the car ahead.
Please note that combining ACC with the lane keeping assist (LKAS, the button with two stripes, and it should be next to the "main" button) this is essentially a level-3 self-driving system, and the driver is required to pay attention. Put your foot near the break and focus on the road even when ACC is engaged.
I don't know about level 3, maybe 2 at most.

I mean I wouldn't call a car that has just basic cruise control even level 1.

OP
OP

sdraza1

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
Actually I found a simplified user manual on eBay, I have not bought it yet but it looks good as many photos in the ad. are very descriptive and informative.
Sponsored