Am I the only one that actually likes the orange OEM side marker?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Two different looks on my Cosmic Blue but both look good, I think.

Unity/Helix clear
Honda Civic 10th gen Am I the only one that actually likes the orange OEM side marker? Untitled 2

Stock amber housings
Honda Civic 10th gen Am I the only one that actually likes the orange OEM side marker? newgar

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I love my Ultinon bulb in the stock orange housing. Works and looks great to me. I don't need blazingly bright side markers.
It’s not the brightness that I disliked, it’s how it didn’t fill the housing with light. The one with just the side facing LEDs doesn’t project light directly out but it fills the housing so the whole thing glows.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not the brightness that I disliked, it’s how it didn’t fill the housing with light. The one with just the side facing LEDs doesn’t project light directly out but it fills the housing so the whole thing glows.
That's odd because my stock orange housings look uniformly lit with those bulbs.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Amber is the best, everybody who swaps them out with revert back to stock eventually(if they keep the car long enough).

It was the same thing when I had my Integra back in the day. Kids thought the clear markers were so cool, but it was just a fad and before long everybody was looking for the stock markers again.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's odd because my stock orange housings look uniformly lit with those bulbs.
That was a poor description on my part. With a halogen bulb, light goes out in all directions and there will be brighter areas that change as your perspective changes and you get a sparkle effect. You loose that effect with the Philips bulb, and that effect is enhanced with an LED that has side firing elements. Since the reflector is long and skinny the LED that just has the LED elements on 2 sides and when installed those sides line up with the long axis of the reflector so that effect is greatly enhanced.

Here's a video:

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That was a poor description on my part. With a halogen bulb, light goes out in all directions and there will be brighter areas that change as your perspective changes and you get a sparkle effect. You loose that effect with the Philips bulb, and that effect is enhanced with an LED that has side firing elements. Since the reflector is long and skinny the LED that just has the LED elements on 2 sides and when installed those sides line up with the long axis of the reflector so that effect is greatly enhanced.

Here's a video:
So can you change the halogen bulbs to the LED bulb? I was gonna see how that works lol without having to buy the expensive side markers. I still want to keep the OEM housing If possible and just change the lighting to LED bulb.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep. Get an amber LED, a white one will make it look yellow.

These are the ones I’m thinking about getting:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS7HWDN/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1KEXODWLTJQ54&psc=1

I have my doubts about those lasting without burning out since they don’t have anything to dissipate the heat.

I’m also thinking about these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY5HW5V/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3B95GPSECAW75&psc=1

And these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY5HW5V/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3B95GPSECAW75&psc=1

Note: I’ve found that “tinning” the connector with solder with the circuit board type connectors gives them a tighter and more secure fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I decided to get these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Amber-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These look like they have constant current circuitry on them (just like the white ones I have). The ones that look like these on Amazon look like they aren’t constant current.

I did a bench test of one of the white ones I have and left it powered on for 24 hours at 14.5 volts in a small sealed flimsy plastic container (no air flow for cooling to mimic being installed in the side marker housing). Nothing melted and it seemed just as bright afterwards which gives me hope that they will have some longevity to them.

gary23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
It depends on the color of the car I like orange markers.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Honestly, I never even notice them and do not care. As long as my car is working correctly, I am content to leave the car itself alone.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm fine with mine being orange. Adds a spot of color, and I can trust that it'll reflect other drivers' headlights so that they (hopefully) will see that it's obviously a car and won't (hopefully) run into it. Same with keeping the rear reflectors red.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
I swapped out bulbs from the tail lights to leds. But, for the front, I like mine amber. Il

Corrupt

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
135, Element, Tracker
Country flag
I got the sonic gray, orange is the way to go.
MY .02
Sponsored